Being Successful Online

Over the past few weeks I have been asking this question on a few different forums, and would like to get your guys opinion. What does it take to be consistently successful online. And what I mean by that is grinding it out and taking variance into mind, and coming out on top.

Was there a book or two that really helped you? Did you start using a certain software? anything like that.
Thanks

Comments

• learning how to play poker
  • not everyone who knows how to play poker is successful online. If that was the case, everyone would be cashing out all the time. I want to know what does it take beyond knowing how to play, to be successful. Simply knowing the basics isn't enough. Especially in this day and age with all the different tools out there to use.
  • did you just ask question and give me the answer?
  • i know i know!

EDIT: positive ROI!
  • trigs wrote: »
    i know i know!

positive RIO!
    ???
  • What a forum. I ask a simple question, and get two morons answer with useless stupid answers. A forum is suppose to be a place where you can come onto, ask a question and get good information from. If this is how this forum works, then I will stick with the other forums, ones where people know what they are talking about and aren't fucking idiots.
  • weakest link ...goodbye!
  • darbday wrote: »
    ???

lol mistype.
  • Callaway12 wrote: »
    What a forum. I ask a simple question, and get two morons answer with useless stupid answers. A forum is suppose to be a place where you can come onto, ask a question and get good information from. If this is how this forum works, then I will stick with the other forums, ones where people know what they are talking about and aren't fucking idiots.

sorry. serious answer is way too difficult to explain as there are many factors involved in being a successful player not to mention that there are multiple ways in which one can be a successful player, not just one.

so to answer your question directly, it depends.

EDIT: and the book was harrington on holdem. definitely helped me a lot.
  • and btw, this is exactly how this forum works even when you ask a legitimate question that can be answered relatively well.
    .... ones where people know what they are talking about and aren't fucking idiots.
    tilting your roll off is a huge leak tho
    not everyone who knows how to play poker is successful online. If that was the case, everyone would be cashing out all the time. I want to know what does it take beyond knowing how to play, to be successful. Simply knowing the basics isn't enough. Especially in this day and age with all the different tools out there to use.

It is mathematically impossible for everyone to be successful online, money that someone wins means that someone(s) else lost it.

Knowing how to play poker as Darbday said doesn't mean knowing the rules on the game and what beats what, he means being GOOD at poker, knowing how to play it best and exploit weakness in other players. In that regard, he's right, if you're not successful online, there is something wrong with your game - period. Online is a truer gauge of your game simply because you can get more hands in, use software to track you play, and review it. Anyone who says that they're good at poker but can't play online because they "can't get the same reads / need to see the play / get a better instinct /etc" is lying to you, and themselves.

Mark
  • perhaps..

but i more mean that most people think they know how to play poker and they search for ways to get better and improve. But in truth they have no idea what poker is. I've been playing for 2 years or so and have no idea what this game really is and everytime I think I know I'm hit with a realization that I'm totally lost...

If one could figure out what poker actually is they would be the most winningest player in the world imo

edit: and comment on the op about knowing the basics. There are only ever basics. All advanced techniques and concept are just basics stacked upon basics. If your not a super winner its likely becasue of lacking fundementals not advanced plays and concepts.
  • Being a winning online player is much more complex than can be answered in a single post. The first thing you have to do is ask yourself a series of questions.

1. What do I want out of online poker (Play full time, part time , just for fun)

There are a million reason people play online poker. Fun, recreation, income, challenge, fame, experience for live play. You need to understand why you play and what you want to get out of it.

2. What game am I best at (MTT, SNGS, Cash, Omaha, Holdem)

There are few players who can master or even become proficient at more than one type of game. Online poker is about volume and sticking the game style that is most profitable for you.

3. What site / sites am I going to play one ?

Given the current state of online poker, even choosing the site you play on is frought with risks and gamble.

4. How much time can I devote to the game (playing / studying)

Online poker is a game of volume. The more you play correctly over a long, long period of time, the more you will win.

If you don't keep reading about and studying poker, then you will be left behind. Depending on the level of your competion, you will need to know what they are doing and how best to counteract it. That takes time.

Plus you need to review your own game to see where you make your mistakes and fix them.

And read books, watch videos, may be hire a coach buy tracking software, etc...

5. How much money can I spend playing online poker ?

Your bankroll should determine what level of buy in games you are going to play and when you move up in stakes and more importantly when to move down. The more money you have, relative the buyin you play, limits the amount that variance will have on your game and more importantly, your mental attitude.

So you see, its not a simple answer and I'm just getting warmed up.
  • The fact that the only one to agree with the OP's comments about the forum is the king of the trolls should kind of show how flawed the OP's thinking was in the first place when spazzing about the forum and how lacking it is.

Ask a broad, generalized and question full of variables, get a brief, smartass answer :)
  • Cerberus wrote: »

Ask a broad, generalized and question full of variables, get a brief, smartass answer :)
    shhh.....fightclub :-X