London on Fire

Crazy chit going on across the pond. Riots are breaking out all over London, due to some guy, allegedly a criminal, being shot by police while riding in a taxi. I'm not too clear on all the details.

This blog seems to be keeping track of the situation.

BREAKING: New riots in Enfield, Edmonton, Brixton and Walthamstow « The West Londoner

Some other links:

Nanaimo man caught in the middle of riots in London, England

Rioters Burn London in Rage After Fatal Police Shooting - Global - The Atlantic Wire

Comments

• is it just me or does this sound like Ali G talking to the BBC?

‪BBC News: Explosive Eye Witness Account - Tottenham Riots, UK‬‏ - YouTube
  • Sounds like another situation with copycat rioters and looters, maybe fueled by ethnic overtones... Nothing unusual, ala Vancouver and Montreal here... Not even making the major news wires.

I think the financial situation is of much more concern.. bank on it..
  • compuease wrote: »
    Sounds like another situation with copycat rioters and looters, maybe fueled by ethnic overtones... Nothing unusual, ala Vancouver and Montreal here... Not even making the major news wires.

I think the financial situation is of much more concern.. bank on it..

I understand the comparison to Montreal, but who did the Vancouver police shoot?

I agree with you though, this latest crisis in capitalism will wipe the news coverage off this local riot off the front page. The media know who the big dogs they answer to are and they want to know. An riot against police killing a man by working-class people in London is yesterday's news.
  • From what I have read, there was a peaceful protest going on re: the shooting death of a young Father last week. Seems like various opportunists decided to take advantage of the crowd for what is being called a "flash-rob", which brought out the riot cops, which brought out more hoolies, etc. etc.
  • Three nights in a row. This is somewhat more serious than the timid hockey riots we have here in Canada.
  • Hey, the Brits know how to hold a riot, my friend.