Camping destinations

Hey all,

Dont know if there are many camper/ canoe/ fish mongers here but im leaving with a friend for some outdoor time. Have a canoe.

Problem: I'm not sure where to go. I've been to many places, but ideally looking for crown land where we can park and paddle to site. Would like it to be withing a 2.5 hr drive of toronto.

any thoughts?

Comments

• Cannot think of much within your distance request. Algonquin, obv., but that sounds like it is further than you want to go . . .

However, for an interesting group of treks, you can try the various rivers in the GTA. For example, drive down to Port Credit in Mississauga, and paddle up the Credit river. There are some really interesting homes to see along the way, and some very picturesque vistas as well. Depending on how energetic you are, you can go quite far upstream, with minimal portaging iirc.
  • You are asking a poker forum where most people spend most of their time indoors?

There must be a camping forum somewhere...
  • Alogonquin by far is the best place. Longer drive then you would like but well worth it when you get there. You can portage then camp overnight on an island.
  • payperview wrote: »
    Alogonquin by far is the best place. Longer drive then you would like but well worth it when you get there. You can portage then camp overnight on an island.

Actually the West entrance of Algonquin is only about 3:15 from Toronto, 401 & 400. Well worth it imo.
  • Frontenac Provincial Park has what you are asking for.

no motors on the lakes, hike/canoe/portage in. bunch of little lakes and tent pads to choose from.

1/2 hour north of Kingston so fits your drive time.

I spent Tuesday to thursday there once and saw more deer than people. That is I saw 1/2 dozen deer and no people until I was hiking back out.
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    Frontenac Provincial Park has what you are asking for.

no motors on the lakes, hike/canoe/portage in. bunch of little lakes and tent pads to choose from.

1/2 hour north of Kingston so fits your drive time.

I spent Tuesday to thursday there once and saw more deer than people. That is I saw 1/2 dozen deer and no people until I was hiking back out.

Very nice place but depending where in Toronto you are leaving from, it's further than Algonquin.
  • Moose: Thanks for the heads up. It never occurred to me as an avid camper/canoeist to ACTUALLY join a forum for canoe routes. Of course im a member of just such a forum. Trying to get good crown land locations off these guys is near to impossible. Thankfully i posted this question in Off topic, and if being outdoors is way off topic and completely ridiculous for you than put me on ignore and stock up on your vitamin d supplements.

Milo: I have done the credit a few times. Drifted down from just above norval with cans of beer tied to the canoe and kept cool in the river. It is a nice ride, you're right.

Pay per/ Comp: Yeah it was just a little too far to hit up Algonquin for the time frame. But thanks for the tips.

Suited Pair: I was looking at frontenac- looks like something i will try to do this fall when i can add an extra day or two to the weekend. I love that part of the province. Some of the best fishing in ontario can be found in the rideau chain of lakes and im hoping this parks proximity to it equals good fishing as well.

Settled on crown land found at this site i gleaned off a camping forum. Its a really useful tool in finding areas, even in relatively populated areas that are still free to camp on.Crown Land Use Policy Atlas
  • Best kept camping secret ever!

The Massasauga

Can only get into park by canoe, requires some portaging. And is a sactuary for the massassauga rattlesnake. (although i've been going there for years and have never seen one) if you don't mind some hard portaging try to get site 17
  • Wow. I was trying to be helpful. Turns out I was right and no-one actually answered your OP but you didn't blast them. I didn't have any crown land ideas and I could have suggested a bunch of provincial parks too but I took the time to read your OP and didn't suggest stuff you weren't looking for. But I guess it is preferable to suggest stuff that doesn't answer your OP.

Did you know you can camp at Darien Lake? It has a lake so I am guessing that you could bring your canoe too. It is 2 h and 26 min to Darien Lake from Toronto so that is within your window. Amusement park rides are fun. Hope that helps.

Sounds like you need this vacation - a lot.

However, your crown land map is cool.
  • moose wrote: »
    Wow. I was trying to be helpful. Turns out I was right and no-one actually answered your OP but you didn't blast them. I didn't have any crown land ideas and I could have suggested a bunch of provincial parks too but I took the time to read your OP and didn't suggest stuff you weren't looking for. But I guess it is preferable to suggest stuff that doesn't answer your OP.

Did you know you can camp at Darien Lake? It has a lake so I am guessing that you could bring your canoe too. It is 2 h and 26 min to Darien Lake from Toronto so that is within your window. Amusement park rides are fun. Hope that helps.

Sounds like you need this vacation - a lot.

However, your crown land map is cool.

Apologies then. Tone can sometimes be difficult to decipher with only text to draw from. I thought you were trying to be smug.

Yeah-it is a great map.
  • crazykoby wrote: »
    Best kept camping secret ever!

The Massasauga

Can only get into park by canoe, requires some portaging. And is a sactuary for the massassauga rattlesnake. (although i've been going there for years and have never seen one) if you don't mind some hard portaging try to get site 17

You are right its a great spot. Would have gone there if i had planned ahead and booked a site. Been there many numerous times (+20x) and many different sites. Although i have never stayed at site 17. Is that on the side of blackstone harbour or thru the narrows?
    All time best/ fav site is 213.
  • Apologies then. Tone can sometimes be difficult to decipher with only text to draw from. I thought you were trying to be smug.

Yeah-it is a great map.

Who, Moose?? Preposterous.

98adth.jpg
  • You are right its a great spot. Would have gone there if i had planned ahead and booked a site. Been there many numerous times (+20x) and many different sites. Although i have never stayed at site 17. Is that on the side of blackstone harbour or thru the narrows?
    All time best/ fav site is 213.

17 is on Spider Lake. It's a great site but very popular and has become over used. If you don't mind hard portaging go to site go site 31 0r 32 on clear lake. Awesome site rarely used because of the treck required to get to it. It's about a 6 hour trip from the point of entry, with a couple of huge portages 1km+ portage. Here is a map of the park with the sites listed. I usally enter at the 3 leggged lake point.
    Massasauga Provincial Park - Google Maps
  • crazykoby wrote: »
    17 is on Spider Lake. It's a great site but very popular and has become over used. If you don't mind hard portaging go to site go site 31 0r 32 on clear lake. Awesome site rarely used because of the treck required to get to it. It's about a 6 hour trip from the point of entry, with a couple of huge portages 1km+ portage. Here is a map of the park with the sites listed. I usally enter at the 3 leggged lake point.
    Massasauga Provincial Park - Google Maps

Thanks for the map. For whatever reason i could never find it. I had a listing and description from google, but no map...always had to cross reference it with the newspaper handout from the put in to see which sites were best. The best part though is my favourite site has a rating of 1star and is considered a poor site. I guess thats good for me as nobody would want it. It has good deep water for swimming, two nice pads for tents and i was catching smallies and a musky wading from shore when i'd had a few too many. It has amazing long afternoon sun and sunsets.
  • Did my share of portaging in the day. I would like to go on these type of trips now but I know I never will. Good vicarious reading though.

Too bad some people would rather post pictures because they ran out of meaningful things to say and can't even confine their ignorance to the correct thread.
  • moose wrote: »
    Too bad some people would rather post pictures because they ran out of meaningful things to say and can't even confine their ignorance to the correct thread.

Bwahahahaha. That's awesome, getting ripped for defending you. Maybe tone is difficult to decipher from text.