Bad play? 3 hands from a 5/10 session.

Hand 1:

New to the table.

JJ UTG $600,

raise to $30, 2 callers both cover.

Flop Q93r.

I C bet $60.

1 caller... I recognize the villain as a good regular, don't remember too much about him.

Turn Ao .... I think it's a good barrel card... I bet 125. Villain calls.

River 5 ... I give up ... villain shows down AQ

Would you have 3 barreled the 5 river?
Would you 2 barrel the turn?

Hand 2

Button Villain is a good hand reading professional poker player. He seems to play at least 5 days a week.

I have 500 Villain covers.

33 in SB ... 3 limpers I complete BB checks

Flop :: K83r pot $50

PERFECT!!!!!

I bet $25

Villain raises to $125.

It's dry ... I figure a free card is unlikely to hit him.

I decide to play with some deception since I think the villain reads hands very well.

Turn A :: I check thinking the villain will barrel this perfect barrel card.

Villain checks... (FAIL)

River 7x :: I bet 100, villain calls and folds ...

Did I screw this hand up?

Hand 3::

Villain is a tight Aggressive with $1.5K

Hero :: 75s in BB 2 limps SB completes I check..

Flop 753r

I bet out $40... Villain raises to 80, Hero re-raises to 160, villain calls.

Turn Kx, I bet 220 with 160 back...
Villain insta calls...

What!! there are almost no draws I can put him on.....

River 2x

I chicken out and check.. he checks....

Hummmm I think I screwed up here by not shoving the rest in...

Comments

• Hand #1: Seems fine, maybe check the turn for pot control? I think you lost the minimum.

Hand #2: Again fine, and you said the V was a good hand reader. Clearly he knew he was behind when you flatted his flop raise.

Hand #3. Since he checked the river, you must have been good and probably wouldn't have gotten a call on your push.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Hand #1: Seems fine, maybe check the turn for pot control? I think you lost the minimum.

Pot control? Do we really want that kind of a world though?
    JohnnieH wrote: »
    Hand #2: Again fine, and you said the V was a good hand reader. Clearly he knew he was behind when you flatted his flop raise.
    Why does a good hand reader raise...? Just as a bluff? Shouldn't he be happy we flatted and be betting the turn?
  • H1

Do we have 60bbs?

I think cbetting this flop is very thin value. There are many Qx hands in the other players ranges, but also jt and some gutshots that call a smaller type bet. But we start to turn our hand into a bluff instantly though and its not best against two opps.

the turn might be a good barrel card but in that case id rather be barreling 7c8c on a board with a back door club draw...just that we're barreling but drawing to 2 outs...

river you need to give up, the scare card came and he called and certainly has a better hand.

But betting because the ace hit seems ok...he kidna had the perfect hand there

If one or especially two draw hit on this river then i would bomb it though, or is that obvious?

H2

I think villain screwed this hand up...if he raised this board as a bluff hes not really hand reading, if he did it for value he needs to bet the turn.

H3

Did you pot this one? cause there are less people in this hand but Im not sure I can count the pot right....but the min re raise should prob be more.

Shouldn't betting 220 with 160 back just be an all in. Id have to know the exacty pot sizes but i think you could have set your self up for a turn shove....or maybe a river shove.

if you don't have him on a draw that hit i think you have to shove the river.
  • First one is ok, I dont like that we are playing so short in a 5/10 game, makes it hard for people to be afraid of our barrels. Hand 2 I lead out the turn even more so against a good player, it looks like a good barrel card to them and hes gonna call with a K more then likely.
    Hand 3 I prob ship it on turn and if not im definatly shipping the river.
  • Hand one, you might have lost the min yes...easy enough escape with more betting

Hand two, with the raise and pot size, it smells more of value to me, a good place to tihnk he has KQ or AK with the limping hoping for the preflop raise.....rather than the showdown at the end, its a $175-$190 kinda thing....if you ship thats an instana fold

Hand three with the turn king, "dar" is right enough, just get it in the only thing crushing you is KK a set or 64 tight aggro, 64 and 55, 33 are not probably in range there and 77 would be played differently....just get it in then not flip your hand up to save info!
  • darbday wrote: »
    Pot control? Do we really want that kind of a world though?

Yes, but the Hero has no reads as he just joined the table. With no reads, checking here is not a terrible idea. As played, the bet is fine, but when Villains flats, I'm worried.
    darbday wrote: »

Why does a good hand reader raise...? Just as a bluff? Shouldn't he be happy we flatted and be betting the turn?

I bet Villain hit KQ or KJ, and raised to see where he was, thinking hero bet out with air. Once he was called, he boxed Reef into APAK, or a set.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    I bet Villain hit KQ or KJ, and raised to see where he was, thinking hero bet out with air. Once he was called, he boxed Reef into APAK, or a set.
    If the villain thinks hero is on air...and is a good hand reader....hes not going to raise with kq or kj because there is no value in it....he will call and try to get hero to bluff more stack off....becaue there is no draw....

but im not neccassarily disagreeing with you on the villains thinking.....
  • Hand 3 when I flop 2 pair, For some reason I was scared when he insta called the $210 on the turn. I'm thinking it was an error not to ship in the last 160 on the river.
  • Hand 3 when I flop 2 pair, For some reason I was scared when he insta called the $210 on the turn. I'm thinking it was an error not to ship in the last 160 on the river.

Just in terms of stack size, your 160 was worthless for the next hand at that limit anyway. In that situation I do ship on the river. But then I'm hardly an expert.