Star Trek Replicators; Maybe not so farfetched

This is amazing! And I'm sure it can store images to print at a later time.
This could MORE than revolutionize manufacturing of today. Imagine no more complex machining, simply PRINT a part for use right away.

YouTube - ‪3D Printer‬‏

Comments

• Hobbes wrote: »

Would explain how HE does it every year for sure. Still, this is the first actual demonstration I've ever seen that could threaten today's manufacturing processes and create everyday items on the spot from the comfort of your home.

I'm sure its decades away from being able to create a metal fabricated part that can withstand today's demands (especially for aerospace and automotive industries) but I can now more easily envision it happening.
  • DO WANT !!!

Unlimited chip supply.
  • I'd like to know details like how much it costs, how long it takes to print, and, most importantly, applicability in the sex industry.

Mark
  • Saw a news show on this one time. You still need the pattern to replicate any article. You will have to pay for that for complex items. Simpler items, like plastic bottle openers or coat hangers, would be in the public domain.

Thingiverse is a repository of 3d patterns in the public domain.
  • Yep but I'm more interested in this:

Cornell University scientists use 3D printer to engineer human ear made of silicone -- Engadget

Hmm how to embed that video here? p.s. my ears are fine, for now.

(fun reads, Halting State by Charles Stross and his recent sequel Rule 34)
  • literation wrote: »
    Yep but I'm more interested in this:

Cornell University scientists use 3D printer to engineer human ear made of silicone -- Engadget

Hmm how to embed that video here? p.s. my ears are fine, for now.

(fun reads, Halting State by Charles Stross and his recent sequel Rule 34)
    this is obvious...i mean we can time travel....????
  • Earl Grey tea, hot - fail.

These things are used for rapid prototyping. They are not that smooth and it's plastic. We've got a couple of these machines at work. I'll post a pic of a model a student of mine created if I remember to take my camera to work. Cool yes, functional, no.
  • Tastes like chicken for sure!!
  • The Star Trek geek in me reminds you that to be a true replicator you would need matter (aka human waste) first to replicate food/water/other materials.

Yes, they were eating recycled shit and piss.* Pretty gross eh?

Poke me when somebody invents a realistic holodeck.

*That being said, I know it was just a TV show. Everything was pretend. Even Seven of Nines boobs :)
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    The Star Trek geek in me reminds you that to be a true replicator you would need matter (aka human waste) first to replicate food/water/other materials.

Yes, they were eating recycled shit and piss.* Pretty gross eh?

Poke me when somebody invents a realistic holodeck.

*That being said, I know it was just a TV show. Everything was pretend. Even Seven of Nines boobs :)

OMG lol where do i start!!!, recycled shit and piss (thats not what star trek was??....i watching old school of it and TNG lol)

A realistic holodeck exists theres a bad bad bad nintendo system made called (virtual boy) go do a search on it johnnie, its amusing stuff.

lastly Seven of Nines boobs are real enough that they were solid not like her acting!!!

somehow becoming WAY off track and all in fun
  • Star Trek as a "universe" had gotten so caught up in minutiae, that there were rules for EVERYTHING that had to do with storyline, uniform appearance, etc. 7/9's boobs were real enough, but they were enhanced by the mandatory bra style that the Star Trek "manual" required be worn . . .