Some Interesting Hands From the 10 Rebuy

The tournament is an interesting one as once you get past the often insane rebuy period you can find yourself at completely different types of tables from night to night. Tonight I got bounced around a bunch and only formed opinions at 2 of the tables.

Here are some hands and I am curious what people think:

23o scenarios

First hand (note I had to remove a lot of the hand history spam since the initial post had > 10000 characters)

Blinds 200/400 25 ante
Dealt to Monteroy [3s 2s]
obiwon: folds
fudd: calls 400
THESILOW: calls 400
Bluffy_Joe: folds
ESSpaniel: folds
soupie: folds
EDROK62: folds
Gray Goblin: calls 200
Monteroy: checks
*** FLOP *** [7s Qh 6h]
*** TURN *** [7s Qh 6h] [7c]
*** RIVER *** [7s Qh 6h 7c] [2c]
everyone checked the whole way
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Gray Goblin: shows [8s 9s] (a pair of Sevens)
Monteroy: shows [3s 2s] (two pair, Sevens and Deuces)
fudd: mucks hand
THESILOW: mucks hand
Monteroy collected 1825 from pot

Would anyone have the courage to bet when the 2 hit the river? This table was very passive as some might guess. Would anyone call a bet ( I might have called a small bet but I was not sure).

Next 2 3 situation

soupie: raises 827 to 1427 and is all-in
THESILOW: calls 827
*** FLOP *** [Jh 3s Kd]
*** TURN *** [Jh 3s Kd]
*** RIVER *** [Jh 3s Kd Td] [Qs]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
THESILOW: shows [3d 2h] (a pair of Threes)
soupie: shows [7s Kc] (a pair of Kings)
soupie collected 3604 from pot

This is a pot odds call, but I am wondering even with the pot odds is this ever an ok fold? The BB had a slightly below average stack, but if he had a smallish stack like 4000 then this call is in many ways extra frustrating even with 4-1 odds. I always kind of hate this forced call situation.

Shortly after I got moved to a new table in which I was only there for 5 hands.

The first hand I sat there I was under the gun and had an uncomfortable AQ off hand having just moved to the table. I just folded the AQ. My stack was above average at the time but I just did not feel comfortable limping or raising a lot with AQ off at an unknown table for my very first hand.

Ironically I was forced to make a real decision 2 hands later

300/600 blinds
Dealt to Monteroy [Kd Ks]
remaxagnt: folds
Drexl: folds
Fallan44: folds
Blueprint 2: calls 600
knuggz: raises 1800 to 2400 (he had 35k chips)
johnnyrose: folds
PRAY: folds
trousers: folds
Monteroy: raises 21964 to 24364 and is all-in
Blueprint 2: folds
knuggz: folds
Monteroy collected 6150 from pot

Part of me wanted to raise with less but I dread having a lot of my chips in and seeing a flop with an ace in this case. It was not as easy as it would seem shoving at an unknown table into a person with higher chips then me ( I was sort of hoping the small chip would call). He told me he folded AQ. The raise may have been a bit too much, but having zero idea what the table was like it kind of made it simpler for me.

After this I got moved to my final table. To my left was a person that essentially makes Gus Hanson seem ultra conservative. He called all ins preflop with any 2 cards above a 10 and, well, often any 2 cards below a 10. His chips were all over the place, he went from 50k to 150kchip leader to 70k when he called an 80k all in on a flop of J 10 9 with a 10 4 (other guy had Q 8). Basically, he was kind of crazy. The rest of the table was fairly tight and passive.

Now here was the problem I kept facing. It is nearly impossible to steal blinds with the guy on my left as he played almost every hand so I was folding hands like KQ because I just dont love going all in with that hand (which given my 20-30k stack and his 100k stack it was likely to happen). I also did not want to get blinded out and you can't sit and wait forever for the premium hands. I lost 10k of my 30k when my AK button all in shove was called by the BB with Q2 off (blinds were 1000/2000 and crazy guy actually folded), so my stack was lower and then I was knocked out on this hand.

1k/2k blinds 100 ante

Dealt to Monteroy [Jh Ac]
PSUKiker13: folds
djjdog1: folds
quadducks: folds
dirtyguy: folds
JLmoney: folds
Monteroy: raises 4000 to 6000
blackriver: calls 6000
charpley: folds
WhatUWish4: folds
*** FLOP *** [Qs 4h 7d]
Monteroy: bets 9226 and is all-in
blackriver: calls 9226
Monteroy said, "ok"
*** TURN *** [Qs 4h 7d] [8s]
*** RIVER *** [Qs 4h 7d 8s] [7s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Monteroy: shows [Jh Ac] (a pair of Sevens)
blackriver: shows [9s 3s] (a flush, Queen high)
blackriver collected 34352 from pot

I will not try to explain his play other then it was pretty much what he had been doing the whole time. I was a bit frustrated at myself that I didn't just shove (which may have made him fold), especially since I am pretty much shoving after any flop, especially against this player. Yet at the same time how can I be mad when I got into that all in situation that I did?

I really don't want this to come off as a bad beat story even though it essentially was. As annoyed as I was at his play and the results, I knew by that time he played like that so I was kind of angry at myself for not making the decision a little harder on the maniac. Yet I did need a double up badly and he gave me a great chance which is the back and forth arguement that keeps going through my head when I try to figure out if I played it right ;) .

I hope the bad beat aspect can be ignored and some suggestions as to how to play a hand like this in this situation (close to the money but still 40ish hands away from it) with an extreme maniac to your left which I admit made my play uncomfortable at that table with those blinds and my below average stack.

I finished 179th and after he won that pot he won another the next hand ( I was sitting there sort of stunned) for a 75k pot (his A 9 beat QQ all in preflop) so he was over 100k chips with 175ish people to go which was well above average. I just checked and he finished 149th which I guess should be comforting but it is not (well, ok maybe a little :) )

One last note. At the last forum event a few of us talked about the rebuy on Stars (which now gets close to 1500 in it some nights). I simply cannot find a table where blind stealing works, even late in the tournament. There are so many players that seem to think any ace or king or any pair is the nuts preflop that stealing or trying to resteal with a non premium hand is just asking for an ugly all in reraise or call. This is an example of the type of play that amazes me whenever I see it but I see it all the time

300/600 blinds

Dealt to Monteroy [Jc 3d]
Fallan44: folds
Blueprint 2: folds
knuggz: raises 1800 to 2400
johnnyrose: folds
PRAY: calls 2400
trousers: folds
Monteroy: folds
remaxagnt: folds
Drexl: folds
*** FLOP *** [Ac Ts 2d]
knuggz: checks
PRAY: bets 2400
knuggz: calls 2400
*** TURN *** [Ac Ts 2d] [7c]
knuggz: checks
PRAY: bets 2400
knuggz: raises 6600 to 9000
PRAY: calls 6600
*** RIVER *** [Ac Ts 2d 7c] [Kd]
knuggz: bets 21537 and is all-in
PRAY: calls 16102 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
knuggz: shows [Tc Td] (three of a kind, Tens)
PRAY: shows [9s Ad] (a pair of Aces)
knuggz collected 61154 from pot

This PRAY guy lost his entire 30k stack (when the average stack was about 19k at the time) with blinds of 300/600 on A9 having called a healthy raise preflop cold with it and , well, I guess assuming top pair bad kicker could not be beat.

I seriously think as much as luck in all ins matter, you also need luck in hitting a hand against insanely weak players who overplay their hands with no consideration. knuggz was a very solid player and a nice person won 3 pots in this manner (to which I was very jealous). As I check now he is 2nd in chips with about 70 left so it is good to see his "luck" has paid off so far.

This hand caused some sparks. 400/800 blinds

Dealt to Monteroy [5h 5s]
charpley: folds
WhatUWish4: folds
PSUKiker13: raises 1600 to 2400
Garry Gray: folds
quadducks: calls 2400
dirtyguy: folds
RunninBear: folds
Monteroy: folds
blackriver: folds
*** FLOP *** [Jd 7c 8c]
PSUKiker13: bets 2400
quadducks: calls 2400
*** TURN *** [Jd 7c 8c] [3c]
PSUKiker13: bets 8000
quadducks: calls 8000
*** RIVER *** [Jd 7c 8c 3c] [Ac]
PSUKiker13: bets 12800
quadducks: calls 12800
*** SHOW DOWN ***
PSUKiker13: shows [Qd Kc] (a flush, Ace high)
quadducks: mucks hand (he had 33)
PSUKiker13 collected 52850 from pot

quadducks whined about this hand for the next 30 minutes with complaints like

quadducks said, "u were never ahead till the riv"
quadducks said, "wow"
quadducks said, "way behind"
quadducks said, "ya, it might be your last pot won"
quadducks said, "keep messin with me"

this was before he started with the racial stuff which is always so special to see (sadly this guy is still in it as I check now). Does anyone think he played this hand correctly at ANY point in the hand? Hell, I had him beat preflop and I folded ;) .

Two last comments about this tournament. For the most part when I have a stack of around 5k after the first hour (inclusing the 2k add on) I tend to do very well in the second hour. I had 5k after hour 1 tonight and 22k after hour 2. Every time I have had 12k or more after the first hour ( 5 times in last 17) I have lost chips in the second hour every time, because I play few hands. I can't help but think this is a healthy flaw in how I play (ie: too passive when I have an ok stack early on). The other bizarre note is that 3 of the times I was knocked out in the last 17 it was losing to the handof K 2 ( 1 was suited, 2 were not - my hands were AK QQ and JJ). I have come to utterly fear the dreaded K 2 as a result ;) .

If you made it all the way through this then I salute your endurance. Thank you and comments are appreciated

Comments

• First of all very good post. I too enjoy the rebuy tourneys as they are pretty much all I play these days. I agree that you see crazy play from start to finish. The thing with the Pstars rebuys is that there are now so many players from the outset you are bound to have many true gambooolooors looking to make a big score. Many of them are willing to make a large investment to build a crazy stack the thing is that many of them do not know how to slow down when the rebuys are over. Unfortunately, you get some of the lucky buggers with huge stacks and they can not seem to loose. When playing against players of this sort (especially to your immediate left) you have to decide your stance. You can try to wait them out, hope to get moved to a tighter table, or push a little harder with weaker hands than normal (ie. gamble with the gambooloor). I love these kind of players (not my favorite to have immediately to my left mind you but I still love them) they make the table a lot of fun IMHO. I personally play differently against players like this on different days (it really depends on my mood and chip stack).

As far as your play goes I have seen you a couple times at the tables and read your posts. You are playing very solid poker. You seem to have an excellent ability to read the texture of your table and play accordingly. I hope to see you at the final table of a rebuy tourney soon! Don’t beat yourself up about individual results remember it’s all about the long run in which (I assume) you are a winner.

Again very good post.
  • 23 hand #1: I wouldn't bet the river here. I would probably call a modest- to standard-sized bet, depending mostly on who bet, and how big the bet is relative to the pot. You don't mention your stack size, which would be the other determining factor.

23 hand #2: Sometimes 'pot odds calls' go out the window. But, it's not based on the two cards you have in the BB. It's based more on--as you mentioned--the size of your stack and how much the extra chips are worth to you and whether or not you think you'll be able to put them to better use. Most of the time I make these types of calls without looking at my cards (in a B&M situation) so that I don't let the value of my cards cloud my judgement.

KK hand: I don't mind you pushing in here. I also think that a raise to about 5 or 6K would have been OK too. It's not a terrible idea to see a flop with KK if you're looking to make a big score, but the danger is--as you mentioned--that you'll see an ace-high flop.

Your bust-out AJ hand: I probably would have pushed all-in preflop. Then again, if the guy is going to call 9K+ with 93 AFTER seeing that flop, who knows what he'll call for preflop. You played it well (ie: you thought the flop missed him completely, and you were correct) but you were unlucky in that you were up against a complete and total moron.

The last two hands speak for themselves.

Great post, Monteroy. As for stealing in the mid/late stages of these rebuy tournaments, I guess it all depends on your table draw. Sometimes you'll get unlucky and you'll be stuck with a bunch of players who still think it's the rebuy period. Of course, this is only an unlucky table draw if they beat you, when you go in with the best of it. I've been getting some bad table draws lately as well, so I guess it's important to realize what predicament you're in, and adjust to it. You seem to have a good grasp of that concept. As for our discussion about stealing at the 400/800 level, I'm sticking to my guns: it works. At the right tables.

In 'Championship No-Limit and Pot-Limit Poker', TJ discusses how different players do on a medium stack in the mid-stages of a tournament. On a middle stack, you're either trying to become a big stack, or you're being blinded down to a shortstack. One way to at least maintain your middle stack--if not advance to being a big stack--is to look for opportunities to pick up the blinds and antes with any two cards. This is not news to you, and your situation in this MTT wasn't conducive to this style of play. That doesn't mean they're all like that, though.

One final note: the Sunday $215 tournaments ain't what they used to be. With the huge fields and all the satellites, etc... the first couple of hours are minefields. Again, this is a good thing, unless someone puts a bad beat on you, like say, an average stack cold-calling your 1300 preflop all-in bet with JK at the 50/100 level and beating you. Just as an example. These types of players make the average 10+1 rebuy player look like Phil Ivey.
  • I'd agree with all_aces' comments.

As for the AJ hand with "crazy Johnny" to your immediate left, I'd say this is a rare instance of an all-in or call situation. With a short stack, your hand is too good to throw away I think. With the ultra-loose goose raising (which in a normal situation is automatic) may not be the correct approach. If you are raising, you seem to know that this player is a gamb00ler, and will probably not fold post-flop for the few chips you have left. (Nor would most players who would enter the pot behind crazy Johnny, because of the big pot created when CJ calls your flop bet.)

I wonder how just calling would work. If you peg CJ as a chronic calling station, you aren't likely to face a flop raise if you just limp-in. However, you put yourself in a tricky spot if CJ or a player behind does raise it up. What you are hoping for is to get a good flop knowing that CJ will pay you off with hands like 9-high (i.e., he will always pay you off). The downside is you are letting both blinds see a cheap flop, so the flop probably needs to be better than usual to go in for the rest of your chips.

The "limping-in versus a crazy" play may have more merit if the chips are deeper, but may even be effective in this short-stacked example. Paying one bet for an excellent shot at scoring ~6 more bets on a flop of your choosing may have some appeal.

Thinking over these options, I like simply moving all-in the best. CJ may or may not call you with a random hand, which is fine. You're pretty much pot stuck betting 6,000, and your fold equity seems to be nil versus CJ on any street. The key here is to get the remaining two players out of the way. Stacking in pre-flop strikes me as the most probable way of getting rid of the non-crazy opponents.

This is a great example of how in some cases it can be "hard" to play against bad players in tournaments.* Generally, bad play = high variance, and while the crazy player is hurt the most by his/her own style, the opponents can even tend to be dragged down by making +EV, ++++Variance plays.**

ScottyZ

*Unless you have a short bankroll, don't know how to properly adjust to a bad player's game, or are prone to tilt, there isn't really such thing as being hard to play against bad players in cash games.

**Or be blinded off by having to constantly avoid such plays.
  • Here are the full details of my 2 3 BB hand. It was one of the most passive tables I have been in which was heaven for me as I saw a lot of cheap flops and won many medium pots when I hit when people with decent second best hands called me all the way. I had most of my 2nd hour gains at this table and none were from an all in pre flop.

*********** # 111 **************
    PokerStars Game #1119235728: Tournament #4653154, Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (200/400) - 2005/01/24 - 00:08:19 (ET)
    Table '4653154 85' Seat #8 is the button
    Seat 1: Monteroy (18594 in chips)
    Seat 2: obiwon (8868 in chips)
    Seat 3: fudd (35444 in chips)
    Seat 4: THESILOW (10799 in chips)
    Seat 5: Bluffy_Joe (20553 in chips)
    Seat 6: ESSpaniel (6520 in chips)
    Seat 7: soupie (5860 in chips)
    Seat 8: EDROK62 (15826 in chips)
    Seat 9: Gray Goblin (11768 in chips)
    Monteroy: posts the ante 25
    obiwon: posts the ante 25
    fudd: posts the ante 25
    THESILOW: posts the ante 25
    Bluffy_Joe: posts the ante 25
    ESSpaniel: posts the ante 25
    soupie: posts the ante 25
    EDROK62: posts the ante 25
    Gray Goblin: posts the ante 25
    Gray Goblin: posts small blind 200
    Monteroy: posts big blind 400
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Monteroy [3s 2s]
    obiwon: folds
    fudd: calls 400
    THESILOW: calls 400
    Bluffy_Joe: folds
    ESSpaniel: folds
    soupie: folds
    EDROK62: folds
    Gray Goblin: calls 200
    *** FLOP *** [7s Qh 6h]
    Gray Goblin: checks
    fudd: checks
    THESILOW: checks
    *** TURN *** [7s Qh 6h] [7c]
    *** RIVER *** [7s Qh 6h 7c] [2c]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    Gray Goblin: shows [8s 9s] (a pair of Sevens)
    Monteroy: shows [3s 2s] (two pair, Sevens and Deuces)
    fudd: mucks hand
    THESILOW: mucks hand
    Monteroy said, "the power of 2 3"
    Monteroy collected 1825 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 1825 | Rake 0
    Board [7s Qh 6h 7c 2c]
    Seat 1: Monteroy (big blind) showed [3s 2s] and won (1825) with two pair, Sevens and Deuces
    Seat 2: obiwon folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: fudd mucked [Jc Kh]
    Seat 4: THESILOW mucked [Tc Ad]
    Seat 5: Bluffy_Joe folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: ESSpaniel folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: soupie folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 8: EDROK62 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: Gray Goblin (small blind) showed [8s 9s] and lost with a pair of Sevens

As painful as the hand that knocked me out was, in many ways the hand that really hurt me was my AK all in called by the BB (not the maniac) with Q 2 that beat me. Was surprising as he was fairly tight until he called 8k more with 600/1200 blinds. Maybe he was just ready to give up. Still that took me from 30k chips to about 20k (instead of 42kish if I won) and a stack of 15-20k vs a stack of 40k with blinds becoming 1/2k made it a lot touger for me with the maniac after me as essentially I had one hand to play.

I have to admit that maniacs play was so erratic at that stage of the tournament that it through me off my game a bit. I give huge credit to the player that with Q 8 BB shoved his 70k stack all in on the flop of 9 10 J into this guy (who had limped in late position with 10 4). That was the perfect play against the right opponent who will call with almost any piece of the flop hitting his hand.

I agree with Scotty's comments about maniacs being hard to play against at times because often they will take a lot of people out before they lose (which they nearly always do), and I admit it is frustrating to be one of those victims though I have to admit having one of them at a table is not such a bad thing either if one wants to win as they offer many doubling up chances. I didn't watch much after I was knocked out, but that maniac had over 100,000 chips when I stopped watching and he was out within 15 minutes. He certainly made some players happy in the end.

I just checked and was happy to see the solid player who was fortunate to hit hands vs bad players finished 3rd. The whining racist sadly finished 28th. The guy who beat the racist on that hand finished 16th. Oh, and All Aces finished 734th ;)
  • Oh, and All Aces finished 734th
    And oddly enough, I still manage to sleep at night.
    :tongue: