A few PLO Hands

Just to liven the PLO forum up here are a couple of hands I played recently.
Anyone who would have played them differently?

PokerStars - $0.10 PL Hi (6 max) - Omaha - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3
MP: $18.29
CO: $6.00
Hero (BTN): $17.52
SB: $10.00
BB: $29.90
UTG: $6.65
SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10
Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has A:heart: K:club: A:diamond: Q:diamond:
UTG raises to $0.35, fold, CO calls $0.35, Hero calls $0.35, SB raises to $1.85, fold, UTG calls $1.50, CO calls $1.50, Hero raises to $9.35, SB raises to $10.00 and is all-in, UTG calls $4.80 and is all-in, CO calls $4.15 and is all-in, Hero calls $0.65
Flop: ($32.75, 4 players) 9:heart: 8:spade: 9:spade:
Turn: ($32.75, 4 players) 4:spade:
River: ($32.75, 4 players) K:heart:
SB shows 5:spade: 6:heart: 5:heart: 7:heart: (Two Pair, Nines and Fives)
Hero shows A:heart: K:club: A:diamond: Q:diamond: (Two Pair, Aces and Nines)
UTG shows 8:club: T:diamond: J:heart: A:spade: (Two Pair, Nines and Eights)
CO shows Q:spade: 3:diamond: T:heart: K:spade: (Flush, King High)
CO wins $22.90
Hero wins $8.22

PokerStars - $0.25 PL Hi (6 max) - Omaha - 5 players
BTN: $23.92
SB: $25.68
BB: $50.09
Hero (UTG): $23.68
CO: $54.11
SB posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25
Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero has K:heart: 7:diamond: 8:heart: 8:diamond:
Hero raises to $0.75, fold, fold, SB calls $0.65, fold
Flop: ($1.75, 2 players) 8:club: 3:heart: K:club:
SB checks, Hero bets $1.25, SB raises to $5.25, Hero raises to $17.42, SB raises to $24.93 and is all-in, Hero calls $5.51 and is all-in
Turn: ($47.61, 2 players) 3:club:
River: ($47.61, 2 players) T:spade:
SB shows 4:club: A:club: A:heart: Q:club: (Flush, Ace High)
Hero shows K:heart: 7:diamond: 8:heart: 8:diamond: (Full House, Eights full of Threes)
Hero wins $45.61

more to come soon :)

Comments

• Well, that's only two hands, one posted twice from what I see..

But can I ask you why you're just calling on the button with AAxx but raising under the gun with 88xx? You got your head on backwards there son.

Hand one, you got it all in PF, so I can't sass.... that's how you should do - but re-raising is how you should have gotten there.

Hand two, that's a fold in that position.

Mark
  • Fixed it now down to 2.

Sorry I had three but must have pasted one twice instead of copying the new one. I will look for more later.

Now for hand one the call was because the table had been crazy aggressive pre and I figured that I could get it in after someone raised or see a flop and re-evaluate then as I didn't want to put myself in a semi-committed conundrum.

Hand 2 I was running over the table after the flop as they were folding to 85% of my c-bets as such I was playng anlmost anything at that point. Now I am not saying that it is right to do but it was my reason for the pre-flop raise

-Steve
  • Agree with Mark re: hand #1. You're on the button, with a very good starter, but you want to be HU or HU+1 with that hand, so I would raise "pot" PF. Not sure how many would have dropped, based on what they were willing to shove with, but you neede to play that hand much faster.

Hand #2 is screaming for a cheap flop . . . if you're going to FORCE me to play it. Unless you put a gun to my head, that is an UTG fold EVERY time. Other than a set, what were you hoping to hit? The answer is NOTHING, because beyond the 8's that is what you have. Gonesville . . .
  • Steve.693 wrote: »
    Fixed it now down to 2.

Sorry I had three but must have pasted one twice instead of copying the new one. I will look for more later.

Now for hand one the call was because the table had been crazy aggressive pre and I figured that I could get it in after someone raised or see a flop and re-evaluate then as I didn't want to put myself in a semi-committed conundrum.

This is why you need to be raising pf. Your hand is best RIGHT NOW, so put them to the "commitment" test.

Hand 2 I was running over the table after the flop as they were folding to 85% of my c-bets as such I was playng anlmost anything at that point. Now I am not saying that it is right to do but it was my reason for the pre-flop raise

And you got caught in the trap of playing your "rush" rather than playing poker . . .

-Steve

See bolded above.
  • Milo wrote: »

Hand #2 is screaming for a cheap flop . . . if you're going to FORCE me to play it. Unless you put a gun to my head, that is an UTG fold EVERY time. Other than a set, what were you hoping to hit? The answer is NOTHING, because beyond the 8's that is what you have. Gonesville . . .

you must not play alot of omaha

double suited is +EV and a raise every time

hes double suited, suited connectors, and a pair. its a premium starting hand
  • you must not play alot of omaha

You must not play a lot of omaha.

Double suited to the non nuts is suicide and asking for coolers. A mid pair is asking to get set over set coolered, and connected cards like 78 can make the nut straight only 3/4 times, and that's if the board doesn't suit up or pair. Straight flushes are still ridiculously rare.

Mark

Lol, you sound like one of the noobs at my local pokerclub playing $500-$2000 pots at 1/1 omaha over and over again cause they don't have a clue what they're doing but are insanely confident in their abilities to play. Juiciest games around if you're rolled for them

So . . . are you playing the Omaha side of the WSPC event in August? Please?

Pretty please?
  • Thanks for the input. I know that the hand with the 8's was trash and easier to get in trouble with than win a big pot butit is easy to get caught up playing a rush. Trying hard to improve my game as PLO has so much going on the learning curve is steep.

How bout this hand.

PokerStars - $0.10 PL Hi (6 max) - Omaha - 6 players
    SB: $35.49
    Hero (BB): $14.92
    UTG: $4.62
    MP: $13.14
    CO: $5.91
    BTN: $9.95
    SB posts SB $0.05, Hero posts BB $0.10
    Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has K:spade: A:heart: 8:heart: 8:spade:
    fold, fold, CO calls $0.10, fold, SB raises to $0.40, Hero raises to $1.00, fold, SB raises to $3.10, Hero calls $2.10
    Flop: ($6.30, 2 players) K:heart: 2:heart: 4:heart:
    SB checks, Hero bets $2.15, SB raises to $4.30, Hero raises to $11.82 and is all-in, fold
    Hero wins $14.18

Decided to flat the 4-bet pre as I figured my hand neede to hit to win here but had lots of potential and the pot odds seemed decent.

On the flop I was hoping he had a smaller flush and would pay off. maybe should've flat called his raise and let him bet out the turn but was worried that he may have a set of kings and if the board paired I would have to let go of the pot making all-in my best chioce here I think
  • I see no problem with how you played that hand...however, I prefer betting flop, when min-checkraised, I like a smooth call for 2 reasons:

1.) You give him the chance to barrell turn
    2.) Better chance of getting called by weaker holdings

His min-raise screams super strength, or super weakness (as you have the nuts, have to assume it means the latter), if he had KK, he's likely betting out flop, or check potting to get the chips in.

Sometimes in this spot, I'll even check the turn if it's checked to me..........just about always you'll get check called, or bluffed into on the river.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    I see no problem with how you played that hand...however, I prefer betting flop, when min-checkraised, I like a smooth call for 2 reasons:

1.) You give him the chance to barrell turn
    2.) Better chance of getting called by weaker holdings

His min-raise screams super strength, or super weakness (as you have the nuts, have to assume it means the latter), if he had KK, he's likely betting out flop, or check potting to get the chips in.

Sometimes in this spot, I'll even check the turn if it's checked to me..........just about always you'll get check called, or bluffed into on the river.

What do you know about the beautiful 4 carded game donk.
  • FWIW

I don't like the three bet pre-flop with AK88.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    FWIW

I don't like the three bet pre-flop with AK88.

Mark

what about 7878?
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    what about 7878?

Suited?

:)

Mark
    Suited?

:)

Mark
    If it's all red for sure... I read somewhere that hearts and diamonds are much more likely to make flushes...
  • I have an interesting prop bet involving 6/7/8 . . . have to try it out at the WSPC cash game.
  • compuease wrote: »
    If it's all red for sure... I read somewhere that hearts and diamonds are much more likely to make flushes...

No No you need one of each suit in your hand so you can always flop some flush cards :D
  • No no silly

Red cards are more likely to get a straight because the paint is stickier.... black cards get flushes more often because the paint is HEAVIER.

Geez.

Mark
  • damn, ypou mean that's what I've been doing wrong? I keep drawing to red flushes and black straights no wonder they never get there
  • All in on the very first hand. Any Comments?

PokerStars Game #64226191014: Tournament #411730780, $1.35+$0.15 USD Omaha Pot Limit - Level I (15/30) - 2011/07/06 15:28:55 ET
    Table '411730780 1' 10-max Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: Evarella0707 (1500 in chips)
    Seat 2: 74 Gnome (1500 in chips)
    Seat 3: avtobar (1500 in chips)
    Seat 4: Julian M700 (1500 in chips)
    Seat 5: Jugulatus (1500 in chips)
    Seat 6: bakkenist (1500 in chips)
    Seat 7: ilya der777 (1500 in chips)
    Seat 8: Kayman326 (1500 in chips)
    Seat 9: Lbj all in (1500 in chips)
    Seat 10: MABRO2121 (1500 in chips)
    74 Gnome: posts small blind 15
    avtobar: posts big blind 30
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Jugulatus [Th Tc Kh Ac]
    Julian M700: calls 30
    Jugulatus: raises 105 to 135
    bakkenist: folds
    ilya der777: raises 345 to 480
    Kayman326: folds
    Lbj all in: folds
    MABRO2121: folds
    Evarella0707: folds
    74 Gnome: folds
    avtobar: folds
    Julian M700: folds
    Julian M700 is sitting out
    Jugulatus: raises 1020 to 1500 and is all-in
    ilya der777: calls 1020 and is all-in
    *** FLOP *** [5s Qd Qc]
    *** TURN *** [5s Qd Qc] [7s]
    *** RIVER *** [5s Qd Qc 7s] [4h]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    Jugulatus: shows [Th Tc Kh Ac] (two pair, Queens and Tens)
    ilya der777: shows [9s 9h 3d Qh] (three of a kind, Queens)
    ilya der777 collected 3075 from pot
    Jugulatus finished the tournament in 10th place
  • Jugulatus wrote: »
    $1.35+$0.15

This is all the explanation you need.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    This is all the explanation you need.

Thanks! Glad to see the old hands sharing their experience with the the newer members on this board. Much appreciated.
  • Not sure I like this hand AIPF...

Would you go all in with TT in a normal SNG first hand? What about Ak if you were 50% sure that your opponent had KK?

Mark
  • But what I'm really interested in is if my starting hand was just too weak to go all in on. I know I was ahead when all our chips were in the pot and I lost, but I'm not sure how much I was ahead. Was my shove a good move to a pot-limit re-raise or should I have called and taken a flop first?
    Not sure I like this hand AIPF...

Would you go all in with TT in a normal SNG first hand? What about Ak if you were 50% sure that your opponent had KK?

Mark

So, you're saying I should have folded or flat-called the PL re-raise?

I can see that, perhaps I over-estimated the value of the double-suited nut and second-nut flush draws?
  • Jugulatus wrote: »
    So, you're saying I should have folded or flat-called the PL re-raise?

I can see that, perhaps I over-estimated the value of the double-suited nut and second-nut flush draws?

Well, it depends...

Since this is the first hand, you have no reads, and no information aside from your cards to work on. Pocket tens is your strength in this hand, but with all four cards connecting, and suiting up, that is a very diverse hand.

In this case, yea, some jackass called you with crap and hit. In this case, I'm not sure what I would do in a vacuum. I'd assume that your hand is better than average.

Mark
  • Most times in PLO you have to assume that you are against aces (or kings/queeens against a loose/ unknowledgable PLO player) when you are facing a big re-raise pre-flop. In early position at the beginning of these tournies I like a limp with this hand and a call to a single raise to get to the flop cheap where you can become a huge favorite. Pre-flop most PLO hands are no more than 60% favorite over an average hand
  • I'm probably folding almost any hand that does not contain aces here when faced with the 3bet. Maybe I can call with some special types of 9876 hands but having the pair here actually hurts our hand in many cases.
  • Thanks for the advice. Very helpful as I obviously have a lot to learn.
  • Here are a couple hands to resurrect my old thread. Critique away and I will then give my reads/reasons tomorrow as I am headed to sleep for a 5am morning.

PokerStars - $0.25 PL Hi (6 max) - Omaha Hi - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $51.21
    MP: $58.80
    CO: $9.65
    Hero (BTN): $54.34
    SB: $8.43
    BB: $29.76

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has A:heart: J:club: 8:club: 8:heart:

fold, fold, CO raises to $0.85, Hero calls $0.85, fold, fold

Flop: ($2.05, 2 players) J:heart: 3:diamond: 8:diamond:
    CO bets $1.96, Hero calls $1.96

Turn: ($5.97, 2 players) Q:heart:
    CO bets $5.70, Hero raises to $11.40, CO calls $1.14 and is all-in

River: ($19.65, 2 players) 9:heart:

CO shows A:diamond: 2:club: 2:heart: J:diamond: (One Pair, Jacks) (Pre 35%, Flop 32%, Turn 20%)
    Hero shows A:heart: J:club: 8:club: 8:heart: (Flush, Ace High) (Pre 65%, Flop 68%, Turn 80%)
    Hero wins $18.77

This one is easy to explain. Top set on relatively safe board (scared of diamonds but figured even then I am ahead/ even money) Shove and pray.

PokerStars - $0.25 PL Hi (6 max) - Omaha Hi - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: $52.16
    BB: $70.70
    UTG: $21.91
    Hero (MP): $30.01
    CO: $25.00
    BTN: $25.00

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has 5:club: Q:heart: K:heart: K:club:

UTG raises to $0.85, Hero calls $0.85, fold, fold, fold, fold

Flop: ($2.05, 2 players) T:spade: K:diamond: 4:diamond:
    UTG bets $1.96, Hero raises to $7.84, UTG raises to $21.06 and is all-in, Hero calls $13.22

Turn: ($44.17, 2 players) 7:heart:

River: ($44.17, 2 players) 6:club:

UTG shows A:heart: T:heart: Q:diamond: J:diamond: (One Pair, Tens) (Pre 48%, Flop 53%, Turn 42%)
    Hero shows 5:club: Q:heart: K:heart: K:club: (Three of a Kind, Kings) (Pre 52%, Flop 47%, Turn 57%)
    Hero wins $42.18