Memorable wedding music

So, getting hitched in a few weeks. Scowling Owl has decided we're having a Western themed wedding....which I'm fine with.

She's asked me to ask married people I know what memorable music they had at their wedding during the reception and pre the ceremony. We seem to have a good handful of happily married people on here, so I figured you would have some good selections.

Do not worry about it being from a particular genre, that doesn't matter. I have however been instructed that no Metallica or Judas Priest will be played.

If you can suggest anything that didn't get played at your wedding that would also be greatly appreciated. The more information the better.

Comments

• Right after my vows, they played

Queen..."another one bites the dust"

Not sure why :o
  • If I ever trick a gal into marriage...

YouTube - ‪All That Matters‬‏

Todd Snider - All that Matters
    Mark
  • avoid anything by GWAR; reserve it for the bris.
  • Ok, so this is helpful. I will incorporate all the above.

Keep it going! Johnnie must have some tunes or something?

I need some serious help people.
  • No
    - U2 with or without you - It's a suicide note, not a love song.....too many people have made this mistake,
    - Kenny Rogers - lucille. Love the song, it's western but I'm sure you know the lyrics :)
    - Billy Idol, white wedding....

enough with the silliness, - I hate country but will do my best

- islands in the stream - Kenny/Dolly duet
    - I Can’t Help Falling in Love with You. Elvis Presley
    -heaven - bryan adams
    for laughs - Be our Guest. Beauty and the Beast soundtrack
    for cheese - Everything I Do. Bryan Adams
    -Have I Told You Lately. Rod Stewart or Van Morrison - go with Van
    Breathe. Faith Hill
    Nickleback - Photograph
  • No Metallica??? There goes "sanitarium" ;)

But seriously, I have actually emceed and planned several weddings for friends including music.

Memorable songs, for sure, but also keep it fun. Avoid "too many" slow love songs..had one couple that filled the playlist with them and no one really got into the celebration mode. Classics are fantastic for the slow songs, and stuff like Van Morrison is a sure winner as they are generation gap spanners. Pick songs you both like, as they will likely also pertain to the friends you invite..

Something fun we did with a "first dance" song for one couple was, because he hated slow dancing (ie:didn't know how..lol), we started out with the first few verses of "Love Me Tender" by Elvis and then spliced in "The Twist" for the rest of their dance...that was a big hit...

For background music as the couple enters the hall/reception, we have used Garth Brooks "two of a kind (working on a full house)" a few times..
  • Great advice Dennis and many thanks to all. GF will be pleased with a Garth Brooks addition.

I have managed to work in one meager Judas Priest tune, but not from their earlier years which are my favourite. Metallica, unless there is some 'technical error' will not likely be appearing on the song list which is really sad because GF's Dad is possibly bringing some HUGE Klipsch pa's to hook up to my amp.
  • most crowds love that stupid "save a horse ride a cowboy" song and anything from Grease....
  • Okay, here is the truth . . . at the end of the day, it is not the music which will make your wedding a success, it is the people that are sharing the moment with you. My wife and I have been married for over 16 years, and I am honest enough to say, that I cannot even remember what "our" song was at the reception. We never really had one song in particular. I do remember that the DJ got it reversed with the song we had chosen as our last song. But the song title? No clue anymore . . . but we all had a hell of a good time, and even friends who were married before, and after us, will tell you that they all had a blast at our reception. Speaking of which, where the hell are our invites?

The boss reliably informs me that "our" song was "When I'm With You" by Sherriff. Excuse me while I seek medical attention for what I am sure is a concussion . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    Speaking of which, where the hell are our invites?

^^^ This, shouldn't we send a PFC contingent?
  • Keep it going! Johnnie must have some tunes or something?

Nice to be loved.

Here is a few popular songs, although they are kinda cliche:

Wonderful Tonight- Eric Clapton
    Red Red Wine- UB40
    You Shook Me All Night Long- ACDC
    Stairway to Heaven-Led Zepplin

If I think of more, I will update ITT
  • compuease wrote: »
    ^^^ This, shouldn't we send a PFC contingent?

Lets just crash and set up a huge cash game negating the need for music all together....
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    Lets just crash and set up a huge cash game negating the need for music all together....

Just passed this on to Scowling Owl (bride to be), she just shook her head. I believe she's on the phone with my Mom arranging a security crew of the select from the special handling unit at Millhaven. We haz connections.

She did say that she specifically put all your invites in the mailbox weeks ago...
  • Not sure if this will work, or if I'll crash the PFC site. Here's the list I originally made. Have not added the above suggested yet, but will do for bride to be's approval.

This will likely (for sure) be edited.

"I'll Be There For You" (Kenny Rogers)
    In my life Johnny Cash
    "The Vows Go Unbroken" (Kenny Rogers)
    The Gambler Kenny Rogers
    Neil Young Harvest Moon
    Al long as the grass shall grow June Carter
    I walk the line Johnny Cash
    Ring of Fire Johnny Cash
    Jackson Johnny Cash
    First time ever I saw your face Johnny Cash
    Can’t help fallin in love-Elvis Presley
    Two sparrows in a hurricane-Tanya Tucker
    Forever and for always Shania Twaine
    From this moment Shania Twaine
    In my mothers eyes Willie Nelson
    Through the years Kenny Rogers
    The greatest Kenny Rogers
    The way you look tonight-Frank Sinatra
    It had to be you-Harry Conick Jr.
    Can’t help falling in Love – Elvis Presley
    All the way-Frank Sinatra
    Ain’t that a kick in the head –Dean Martin
    Fly me to the moon – Frank Sinatra
    Love you madly – Ella Fitzgerald
    New York New York – Frank Sinatra
    Strangers in the night –Frank Sinatra
    Summer Wind – Frank Sinatra
    Beautiful Day – U2
    I got you babe – Sonny and Cher
    Hello – Lionel Rithcie
    Always on my mind – Willie Nelson
    We’ve only just begun – The Carpenters
    Wonderful tonight – Eric Clapton
    Be my lover – Alice Cooper
    Lovers in a dangerous time – Bruce Cochburn
    Love and Marriage – Frank Sinatra
    Bridge over troubled water – Johnny Cash
    About a girl – Nirvana
    Somebody to love- Queen
    Today – Smashing pumpkins
    Long time running – tragically hip
    We’ll go too – tragically hip
    Fully completely – tragically hip
    Bob caygeon – tragically hip
    Don’t rock my boat, satisfy my soul – Bob Marley, wailers
    Turn your lights down low – Bob Marley
    Soul shakedown party – bob Marley
    Could you be loved – Bob Marley
    Mellow mood- bob Marley
    No woman no cry – bob Marley
    Nothing but love – peter tosh
    The legend of bonny and clyde – Merle Haggard
    Okie from Muskogee – Merle Haggard
    Wild thing – Ton Loc
    Another one bites the dust – Queen
    That’s amore – Dean Martin
    Dead or alive – Bon Jovi
    You are my best friend – Queen (I really like this one)
    Who wants to live forever – Queen
    You make loving fun – Fleetwood mac
    I’ve got you under my skin – Frank Sinatra
    I was made for loving you = Kiss
    We are the champions – Queen
    Everybody needs somebody to love – The Blues Brothers
    Wild Horses – Rolling stones
    Angel – Judas Priest
    Chances are – Johnny mathis
    The best is yet to come – Frank Sinatra
    Beyond the sea – Bobby Darin
    A fine romance – ella fitzgerald
    My way – Frank Sinatra
    Can’t get enough of your love – Barry White
  • you have 4 hours of music so far. that will only last for about half the cash game :)

does honey bunny play too? :) (psst. don't tell her I called her that)

wicked crossing of the genres by the way. quite the fearless mix. From Ton Loc to Shania Twain to johnny mathis to barry white.
  • Yes, 'honey bunny' plays. She's pretty damn good too. Kind of scary because before she met me she'd never played. Over the last year I've watched her become a much more accomplished player as she's learned graduated aggression.

As for the crossing of the genres.... We're having a Western themed wedding, thus the country additions. But we needed to add some others in to keep things interesting. I've always been a fan of Frank Sinatra, Marley, etc.

Cash game. You guys are just going to keep this up aren't you. There is supposed to be a stag and doe at some point this week with a Vegas theme. I pray to god there's going to be a game. Wifey to be asked if it could just be a 'ceremonial' game that would be over quickly????????????????????????????? She doesn't want a bunch of people all of a sudden focusing on poker and not milling about and chatting.

She's obviously not bought in to the Vegas theme.