M or BB?

Which pushbot charts do you use...or which method of determining do you use?

Comments

• Wierd question. M takes antes into account and is more accurate. I'm still having trouble with a bunch of spots tho. Like A7 post antes with 4-5 players left to act with like 14-15 BB's or QK A10 type hands from the HJ with 20 bb's and stuff
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    Wierd question. M takes antes into account and is more accurate. I'm still having trouble with a bunch of spots tho. Like A7 post antes with 4-5 players left to act with like 14-15 BB's or QK A10 type hands from the HJ with 20 bb's and stuff
    m is not more accurate....im sure of it....fairly

and i don't understand how you could have trouble with the nash calculator out there...???

my shove charts are nash on a spreadsheet....
  • darbday wrote: »
    m is not more accurate....im sure of it....fairly

and i don't understand how you could have trouble with the nash calculator out there...???

my shove charts are nash on a spreadsheet....

my shove charts are in my head pretty much, I try to run the update operator as often as I can though.

And M needs to be more correct. You don't really want to use your BB rules if everyone is sitting with 3k stacks, blinds are 100/200 and there are 10k antes in the middle lol
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    my shove charts are in my head pretty much, I try to run the update operator as often as I can though.

And M needs to be more correct. You don't really want to use your BB rules if everyone is sitting with 3k stacks, blinds are 100/200 and there are 10k antes in the middle lol
    ok ok, is the update operator in your head to or am i missing something cool and important.

as for antes...ya you have to consider them somehow....if you don't then yes bbs would be way off.
  • M > BB. Make ur own charts if you actually want an edge.
  • Vekked wrote: »
    M > BB.

explain please...
    Vekked wrote: »
    M > BB. Make ur own charts if you actually want an edge.

..i feel like i would lose my edge....
  • maybe we should play what do your shove charts say to do...
  • M accounts for antes and varying ante sizes more than BB does. So if you use BB, you have to think of "what do I shove 10BB no antes? what do I shove 10BB FTP antes? what do I shove 10BB stars antes?" or just make a bunch of mistakes assuming it's all similar. With M 5M is going to be roughly the same or a lot closer no matter what. It does vary like 3-4% total in some spots but it's close enough for sure.
    M > BB. Make ur own charts if you actually want an edge.
    what would i base my shoves on?....hand history?
    M accounts for antes and varying ante sizes more than BB does.
    ok ok....im assuming antes has its own bb charts....
    what would i base my shoves on?....hand history?

What do you mean?
    What do you mean?
    how do i come up with the numbers?
  • Assign calling ranges based on experience, figure out what you can shove based on those ranges
    Assign calling ranges based on experience, figure out what you can shove based on those ranges
    and here i was thinking you didn't know to teach learning.

and here i was ready to pm y'all about my next thing to sink my teeth into

last time we discussed this my protest was that sit n go wizard doesn't use the same formula that nash does for hand strength.....and it doesn't let you pick individual hands...but since then ive come to see that nash beta does...

thx.
  • What about adjusting the BB for the antes? For example, if the blind level is 100/200 + 25 ante with ten players, what Colin Moshman, hotjenny314, zerosum79, etc. do is add 2/3 of the total antes to the BB to get the effective number of big blinds, e.g., (25 * 10) * 2/3 + 200 = 367 effective BB instead of the inaccurate 200 BB.

I configured a custom statistic in PokerTracker so I use this adjusted BB in my HUDs, including my highly customized HUD for heads-up play.
    Vekked wrote: »
    M accounts for antes and varying ante sizes more than BB does. So if you use BB, you have to think of "what do I shove 10BB no antes? what do I shove 10BB FTP antes? what do I shove 10BB stars antes?" or just make a bunch of mistakes assuming it's all similar.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I configured a custom statistic in PokerTracker so I use this adjusted BB in my HUDs, including my highly customized HUD for heads-up play.

Does this stat still have some issues with new tables / blind chnages?
    (25 * 10) * 2/3 + 200 = 367 effective BB instead of the inaccurate 200 BB.

really? it's that big a difference? I mean it makes sense but thta's pretty huge
  • Why not just use M ? It seems like more math to use the above method.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Why not just use M ? It seems like more math to use the above method.
    you must not use M
    you must not use M

While I usually appreciate short answers, I believe this should be expanded on with a why.
    While I usually appreciate short answers, I believe this should be expanded on with a why.

because :D
    just suggest your biased ^-^
  • i use M. i have it on my HUD. i just find it much easier to relate to than BBs.
  • Live, I use BB for when my stack is over 30bb and M for when I get lower than 30bb. I find it a nice balance of not having to over think and calculate too much.

Online, when I had a HUD, I used M.
  • Do any HEM users use its "Tourney Adj BB" stat? Does it use the same formula I use (BB + 2/3 of total antes)?
    Hobbes wrote: »
    Does this stat still have some issues with new tables / blind chnages?
    Yes, PT & HEM don't use real-time stats so their so-called "live" stats are actually from the previous hand history. The ideal poker software would improve upon the real-time stats of programs such as Holdem/Tournament Indicator and combine them with the comprehensive database features of PT4/HM2.
    What about adjusting the BB for the antes? For example, if the blind level is 100/200 + 25 ante with ten players, what Colin Moshman, hotjenny314, zerosum79, etc. do is add 2/3 of the total antes to the BB to get the effective number of big blinds, e.g., (25 * 10) * 2/3 + 200 = 367 effective BB instead of the inaccurate 200 BB.

This could be a valid option, when I get home I'll run some numbers and see how accurate effective BB is.
  • HammerDad wrote: »
    Live, I use BB for when my stack is over 30bb and M for when I get lower than 30bb. I find it a nice balance of not having to over think and calculate too much.

Online, when I had a HUD, I used M.

Pretty much this. Not going by M when you're short is silly because different tournaments can have wildly differing sizes of antes, and this must be accounted for.
  • BBs for sure way, easier to calculate when multitabling and when antes are introduced.
    And push charts? lol how bout some good old fashioned brain power? I think if we need to use push charts for calculating BB's/M than we have bigger leaks in our game then deciding whether to use M or BB.

I want to know about this. proprietary or would you be willing to share?

my HU game is lacking something for sure. way too many seconds
    This could be a valid option, when I get home I'll run some numbers and see how accurate effective BB is.
    Were you able to verify that using adjusted BB is much better than ignoring the antes? Stack size in adjusted BB is exactly 1.5 of M, e.g., having 15 adjusted BB is exactly the same as having an M of 10.

Unfortunately, most strategy material talk in terms of unadjusted BB instead of M. For example, the MIT course talks about jam/folding anytime you have 15 BB or less. This doesn't make sense to me as it would be more optimal to have a lower raise than all-in if I have 1500 chips and the blinds are only 50/100 (M=10).