Making My First Deposit...

Been debating this for months now.

No time squeezing recreational poker with everyday life, so rather being out every weekend, it seems logical to make the move online and stay home to be with da family. Even got da wife's blessings but still reluctant to this day. What I do know is this..., it will happen, I just don't know how or when. Doubt sets in and nothing happens.

Username checked
New Swipe Card checked
Bankroll checked
Deposit Screen checked
Click Accept <Undecided>

Part fear of "not knowing exactly how" or "what to do next".
Part fear of "switching from play tables to real money".
Part fear of "not meeting the objective..., to make profit".

Definitely needing advice from the more "seasoned" ones.

Comments/Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Just Do It!!!

We talked about this some time ago. There's nothing to fear...unless you're American
  • You'll be fine . . . oh, and where you playing?
  • Fear not....and above all...plan on probably losing your entire deposit sooner or later :-[
    Reading these boards you'd actually believe it's possible and almost normal to be able to consistently make money playing poker. It's not. 95% of online money players play at the same level, 3% are awful, and 2% are above the rest. Oh yeah...add in another 1% for those who have administrator passwords and can see everyones cards.
  • I don't know what amount you are thinking of depositing, but my advice is to play very low limit cash games or tourneys so you can get good entertainment value for your dollars. You've got to think of it as entertainment, not a profit-making venture. Play tight and don't gamble too much. Everyone gets lucky sometimes and hits a big hand. Just wait for yours.

Give yourself time to play a tournament. To go far in a big field will take 8-12 hours so there is no use starting a tourney if you only have a few hours of time to play. You might like small buyin sitngos to start off with.

My first deposit was in 2001 on PokerRoom.com. They only had limit back then and I lost the my whole hundred in a few days. I realized I didn't know what I was doing so I read a bunch of articles on playing holdem. I got better and now I don't lose my shirt.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    I don't know what amount you are thinking of depositing, but my advice is to play very low limit cash games or tourneys so you can get good entertainment value for your dollars. You've got to think of it as entertainment, not a profit-making venture.

I would have saved myself a ton of aggravation if I had thought this way when I was playing micro tourneys.

nh sir!
  • Milo wrote: »
    You'll be fine . . . oh, and where you playing?

Pokerstars..., n same username as forum name

thinking 3 bills 2start should set me off but just as mentioned 2day @ tourny, still undecided. Just not sure after da mix comment i heard while dealing at ur table. Don't really noe wat2 make of it.

Just need to feel comfortable i guess.

MC
  • MCflip73 wrote: »
    Pokerstars
    If you have decided to join a non-rakeback site, try to sign up through an affiliate that gives you a bonus, plus use any PokerStars deposit bonus. Start with the freeroll promotions until you're ready to try a micro buy-in.

If I could do things over again, I would have signed up with my main site through any friend who is an affiliate so that they would get thousands of dollars of my rake back every year in perpetuity :cool: instead of the site or unknown affiliate.
  • What method do people usually use when depositing money into stars? I tried two credit cards and they are declined with the message that the card issuer doesn't allow gaming purchases.

I'm not about to give Stars my bank account information and any other help would be appreciated.

Also, any other suggestions for my first deposit would be great.
  • I do know that prepaid Vanilla Mastercards have been used by some in the past however most here only do withdrawals not deposits... I believe that is the best idea.
  • compuease wrote: »
    I do know that prepaid Vanilla Mastercards have been used by some in the past however most here only do withdrawals not deposits... I believe that is the best idea.

Hard to withdraw before you make a deposit. But I'm playing freerolls so who knows?

I just wanted to throw a bit of money on there for the forum home games.

I know they are in a shady legal situation, hence not wanting to give them my bank account info.

I actually tried a vanilla mastercard at the suggestion of one of the Stars reps and it didn't work either.
  • Jugulatus wrote: »
    Hard to withdraw before you make a deposit. But I'm playing freerolls so who knows?

I just wanted to throw a bit of money on there for the forum home games.

I know they are in a shady legal situation, hence not wanting to give them my bank account info.

I actually tried a vanilla mastercard at the suggestion of one of the Stars reps and it didn't work either.

Setup a separate US bank account and use Instadebit? A little more work but safe.
  • Never mind for some reason it decided to work this morning when it wouldn't last night. See you in the home games.
  • I use Instadebit with my Canadian bank account. Been using this method for years without problems.