I need some poker advice

Hey all! I am having a difficult time building a bank roll on pokerstars. I play a lot of 5-10$ mtt. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can build a good bank roll so I can play in bigger and better tourneys. I started out playing a lot of 2 and 3$ games, but that just got me nowhere, and someone told me to start playing 10$ tourneys to make more money and I have been. It just seems to me that every time I get my br up to around 100$, it just seems to me that it goes south in a hurry, and then I'm back to the drawing board. If anyone has any tips or advice I would be glad to take it. Thanks.

Comments

• Playing $10 MTTs on $100 bankroll is a recipe for disaster. You don't have nearly enough money.

On $100 you should be playing $2-$3 MTTs unless you plan on reloading cause the variance can kill you.
  • How much should I have for a bank roll to play 10$ mtts. Not much of a payout in those low tourneys.
  • depending upon turbo and non turbo sit and goes you want to aim somewhere bewteen 2-5% of your bankroll for what you buy-in or least 20-50 buyins based on varience of the game, turbos probably more mroe 30-60 buy-ins...at $100 your doing 10% a hit, more based that online your bankroll can grow and shirnk really quickly with multi-tabling and so-forth
  • How much should I have for a bank roll to play 10$ mtts. Not much of a payout in those low tourneys.

It really depends on how much you play, what your goals are, etc... Keep in mind, the very best SNG players make 15-20% ROI, which means to make $500 in a month, you would have to play $2500 worth of buy-ins or 250 SNGS in the month. Given that downswings can and will happen, a conservative bankroll would have 100 buyins or $1100.

This of course asssumes that you are a winning player.
  • Thanks for the advice guys and good luck at the tables. I will keep posting on how it's all going down the road. I'm going to start fresh and deposit 50$ and go from there. Thanks again.
  • Micro tourneys have good payouts to. Only problem is that they take A LOT of time before you see that money. A 3 dollar tournament with 3k runners will give you up to 2-3k for first, right?

There's also the question of what seems to make sense. If you have 100 dollars in your account, can you really expect to turn that into 5000 dollars or something? Something I look at for bankroll managment is not only the number of buyins, but also the ratio between my bankroll, and the first place money I'm trying to win
  • my advice is to ignore bankroll management until you are a proven winner. and don't try and build your roll through playing poker, build it through learning poker. most people issues lie with trying to win more playing with their current skill set....not possible. if you learn everyday and every week the money comes easily. constantly tell yourself the reason you don't gain is because you haven't learned enough not cause you played bad or were unlucky....
  • Here is your advice Piggypie123,
    My nickname is 38% in Poker...
    It takes money to make money.
    You must have bankroll at $3800 start on line poker.
    For example, if you are playing in a $200-400 limit holdem game and can win 5 big blinds in a day you're making a nice income. ($200 x 5 - $1,000).
    That's basically winning one more hand than you lose in a day. If you play 5 days a week you're making $5k a week, $20k a month, or $240k a year. As you can see, poker is just like real life.
    So Good Luck
    From 38%
  • JackyBB wrote: »
    Here is your advice Piggypie123,
    My nickname is 38% in Poker...
    It takes money to make money.
    You must have bankroll at $3800 start on line poker.
    For example, if you are playing in a $200-400 limit holdem game and can win 5 big blinds in a day you're making a nice income. ($200 x 5 - $1,000).
    That's basically winning one more hand than you lose in a day. If you play 5 days a week you're making $5k a week, $20k a month, or $240k a year. As you can see, poker is just like real life.
    So Good Luck
    From 38%

Agreed, if you have 3.7k you're screwed. But if you do make that extra 100 you'll be set to play 200-400 limit for the rest of your life. I don't even... :o

Edit: technically it's not bad advice, just sounded funny when you put it like that. You don't need a fixed amount of money, but it's all about being just one step better than the guy next to you
  • I have been playing all 2$ and 3$ mtt's. I ended up starting with a bank roll of 25$. After about 1 month I'm up to 84$. My best one was a 16th in a 5$ dollar P* 20k guarntee where I won 55$. It was the only 5 $ game I played and I had success. There is a lot of bad players in those tourneys. I find that is really easy to double up at the begining. But as the tourney grows older it filters out most of the donaters, and the competition gets better. So 1 month down and I hope to make a final table real soon. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep you's all posted.
  • Roll with the punches is what I tell
    To people when things dont go to well

When you go for the gold and come back empty
    When the ups are few and the downs are plenty
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Roll with the punches is what I tell
    To people when things dont go to well

When you go for the gold and come back empty
    When the ups are few and the downs are plenty

WTF?? Who hi jacked Darryl's account??
  • Piggypie, simply put, if you cannot beat the $2.00 and $3.00 mtt's for the above mentioned ROI, do NOT play higher. Better opponents, and variance, will DESTROY your roll. Good luck.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    WTF?? Who hi jacked Darryl's account??

Young MC circa 1988 obv.

OBVVVVVVVVV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q42I0eY0uYQ