Rollercoasters

Watching NATHD and they're showing a program on coasters. I went to cedar point in ohio a couple of years ago and some of the rides there were completely insane. Anyone here been to any other parks that would be worth the trip?

Comments

• Finally something I'm a moderate expert on!

As far as big insane rides, if you're staying localish to Ohio, Michigan, Ontario (I'm assuming that's localish for you), I've been to Wonderland north of T.O. and there are some seriously sweet coasters there. Haven't went on Goliath but it looked badass. The one they used to call Top Gun (not sure what it's called now that Paramount is no longer the sponsor name for the park) is friggin sweet. Best part about their coasters is you can pick your spot. If you want to ride on the front, you go to the front line. If you want the middle, you go to the middle. Etc etc.

If you're willing to travel, head to Southern California. There are roughly a dozen theme parks and all of them have a badass ride. #1 on the list should be Six Flags Magic Mountain. There are at least 6 completely awesome coasters, none more crazy than X. Youtube it or go check out the video on their website. A 200' fall straight down face down and then your seat flips over itself at the bottom. I legitimately had chest pains at the end.

Disneyland kicks ass for nostalgia's sake. Matterhorn is still sweet, Indiana Jones is fun, Splash Mountain is good times and Space Mountain never gets old.

California Adventure is absolute ass, but the coaster they have that does the loop through a Mickey Mouse symbol is lots of fun.

Knottsberry Farm was alright but I haven't been in about 15-20 years so I'm not sure what it's like now.

Universal had a couple of decent ones and have apparently gotten more good ones over the years.

Surprisingly, Legoland has an awesome ride but if you're not into Lego, the park isn't worth seeing for just the one ride.
  • Cedar Point is one of the best for sure, several of their rides are top 10 for speed, height, length etc. Universal Studios FLA has some great ones but nothing of a top 10 quality. Both are equally good but for different reasons.

If you travel to Vegas, it's worth the drive to Primm to ride the Desparado - formerly the highest coaster in the world. Barely hanging on to top 10 for largest drop now but still a big coaster - 7th longest steel coaster in the world. Free tix can be had by signing up at Terrible's players club in Vegas before making the drive to Primm. Cue JohnnieH's orgasm now...

P1030623.JPG
  • Cerberus wrote: »

Disneyland kicks ass for nostalgia's sake. Matterhorn is still sweet, Indiana Jones is fun, Splash Mountain is good times and Space Mountain never gets old.

idk what it was called but the Aerosmith coaster was the best one in the Disney parks.
  • ^^
    Rockin' rollercoaster or something like that.....I love how it rips you out of your seat right from the get go!!
  • moose wrote: »
    Cedar Point is one of the best for sure, several of their rides are top 10 for speed, height, length etc. Universal Studios FLA has some great ones but nothing of a top 10 quality. Both are equally good but for different reasons.

If you travel to Vegas, it's worth the drive to Primm to ride the Desparado - formerly the highest coaster in the world. Barely hanging on to top 10 for largest drop now but still a big coaster - 7th longest steel coaster in the world. Free tix can be had by signing up at Terrible's players club in Vegas before making the drive to Primm. Cue JohnnieH's orgasm now...

P1030623.JPG

I still have wet dreams about this coaster. Way, way better than Canada's Wonderland.
  • Python at Bush Gardens in Orlando is a good one.

Sandusky Park in Ohio has a couple that will probably make you toss your cookies.
  • Just so none get forgotton.

Here:

List of roller coaster rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

here:

YouTube - The Top Ten Roller Coasters In The World

and here:

Video: Top Ten Roller-coasters in the World

and if you want to travel to Abu Dhabi... Maybe Waltsfriend can give us some insight this fall.

This list of best roller coasters may have a new addition as soon as September of 2010. In Abu Dhabi, a massive park just opened called Ferrari World. A roller coaster is in the works there, temporarily named simply F1 Coaster, that could land Abu Dhabi at the top of the “world’s fastest roller coaster” list. According to officials at the park, this roller coaster will travel at top speeds over 125 mph, with some coaster designers reporting tests of up to 150 mph. That would make it the world’s fastest coaster for years to come, as designers in America are hesitant to push speeds any higher than Kingda Ka’s 120 mph

Just found the "F1" coaster..
    http://www.ferrariworldabudhabi.com/en-gb/attractions/fiorano-gt-challenge.aspx
  • My favorite roller coaster is the forgotten Dragon Mountain in Marineland.

It was once the tallest in the world (1983).

What I love about it is.

Almost no Wait times!!!

You can walk right into the front seat most times.

In the time you would wait for one of the more modern rides you can have 5 or 6 front seat rides in Dragon Mountain.

$40 for a season pass.