Lotto Max

any of you guys play the Lotto Max?
how many tickets do you guys usually buy?
If the game was offered twice a week, would this change anything?

???

Comments

• Play with a group at work. We're a small company and I do not want to wake up one Monday in the distant future and find myself the sole employee. The promotion would be nice, but the hassles would not.

When it gets to the $50M mark, I'll throw a quick pick in the wallet, jic, if I am gassing up the car. Won't make a special trip to get a ticket, though.

Once a week is plenty, imo.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Once a week is plenty, imo.

I think if they make it twice a week, I'm gonna have to buy less of the other lottos
    and focus mainly on lotto max unless the jackpots are bigger on the others :D

it may be game over for lotto 649 ???
    if it hasn't already
  • If the odds of winning are about 1/19mil and the tickets cost $5.

it's probably good to wait until the jackpot is $95mil total.

Then you have to add about 25% to take into account cheating.

So you should buy if it gets to about 50+80mil.
  • There is a +ev play to any lottery???? :D
  • LOLZ . . . lotteries are a tax on people who failed math. Still, a few bucks at Timmies, or a few bucks on a "flyer" . . . what the hell, right?

Standard freeroll promise applies if I do hit, however . . . :)
  • compuease wrote: »
    There is a +ev play to any lottery???? :D

649, odds 1/14mil, tickets cost $2, buy them when it hits 40mil (fudge to account for cheating)
  • 649, odds 1/16mil, tickets cost $2, buy them when it hits 40mil (fudge to account for cheating)

Are to odds always 1/16 Mill no matter how many tickets are sold, or is that the avg?
  • That is the probability of your 6 #s hitting, regardless of tickets sold.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Are to odds always 1/16 Mill no matter how many tickets are sold, or is that the avg?

The odds of hitting are the same,

Of course the more tickets sold, the greater the chance you have to split the prize with someone...

So if 8 million tickets get sold, you have a roughly 50% chance you have to split it with someone.
  • You forgot the lawsuit from the inevitable d-bag trying to sponge onto your win . . . never forget those scumbags . . .
  • This thread is amazing. I will run a course on how the lottery works, just ship me $100 at the beginning of next week, and after Friday's draw I will ship $50 back.

Seriously, the only correct thing itt is that odds of holding a winning 649/Lotto Max ticket are constant, totally independent of number of tickets sold. Oh, and 16 or 19M are not correct for either one.

What's next, are you going to tell me flipaments with 10% rake are +EV as long as the buyin and number of players are big enough?

Sorry, lotteries are a tax for those who can't do math, that's also true.

Take that stupid message that say I don't post enough
  • Welcome back . . . now GTFO. lolz

Lotteries are fine to waste a few bucks on, imo. So long as you realize the you are, metaphorically speaking, setting fire to that money when you buy your ticket.
    Welcome back . . . now GTFO. lolz

Lotteries are fine to waste a few bucks on, imo. So long as you realize the you are, metaphorically speaking, setting fire to that money when you buy your ticket.

Completely agree, and if I didn't have a gambling problem I would buy them myself when I feel like taking a -EV shot at a big prize or skipping a Timmy's to throw the change at something else.
  • Pinhead wrote: »
    Completely agree, and if I didn't have a gambling problem I would buy them myself when I feel like taking a -EV shot at a big prize or skipping a Timmy's to throw the change at something else.

You mean lotteries are alway -ev? Could Reef be wrong?
    setting fire to that money when you buy your ticket.

also applies when I bet on sports :(
  • also applies when I bet on sports :(

You should switch to celebrities . . . DP III is coming in a little over 9 months.
  • $50M+ eight maxmillions for April 1st draw
    :)

time to burn some more monies :D
  • Of course you can eliminate may possible combinations from consideration to improve the odds. Everyone knows that it is not possible for the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to be the winning numbers in Lotto 6/49 for example. That's a little ;) for my mathie friends.
  • Of course you can eliminate may possible combinations from consideration to improve the odds. Everyone knows that it is not possible for the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to be the winning numbers in Lotto 6/49 for example. That's a little ;) for my mathie friends.

but not impossible

the March 19 2008 lotto 649 draw:
    23 40 41 42 44 45 43

6/6 carried over
    5/6+ 239 $1,193.70 :D
    5/6 106 $2,223.40

only that if those numbers come up you prolly have to share
    with the rest of the nation :D

I want it all :p
  • bought 1 more ticket today { hope this is 'the' one
    good luck me :p
  • $50M+ eight maxmillions for April 1st draw
    :)

time to burn some more monies :D

Wait till it gets to above 96million total.

19mil * $5 = break even.
  • Wait till it gets to above 96million total.

19mil * $5 = break even.

Seriously, this is not accurate. Not only are you ignoring all the other non-jackpot prizes, but you are discounting the probability of multiple people having the same winning ticket. If you read any of the promo material, they clearly say the top jackpot values is based on incoming money, so to get a jackpot of $50M & another ~50 $1M prizes, there is almost no chance you have a unique ticket.

FWIW the odds are closer to 29M than 19M, and there is no possible prize level where it is +EV.
  • only sorta good news is next jackpot is 50M+27 maxmillions

couldnt even score a free ticket :(