Comments

• The TV coverage is horrible to watch, but it's so amazingly destructive i can't turn it off.
  • Admit it, you paused to check on any Japanese celebs in the pool, didn't you?
    DIDN'T YOU ?!?

Seriously, though, no one plans and builds for this stuff like the Japanese do. There will be destruction, and loss of life. But, when you consider how much stronger this was than the Haiti quake, and how much more densely populated Japan is, it could have been much much worse.
  • Was watching this online last night. Scary stuff. Any info yet as to whether hawaii or other coastal areas are likely to be affected?
  • Was just reading about HI OR CA WA. Doesn't sounfld too bad for them.
  • Hawaii reported a 3' surge wave around mid-morning our time. West coast of the Americas was basically unscathed, according to morning radio. Not nearly as bad as it could have been.

Japan reported a 10m wave after the initial shockwave. For perspective, that is slightly taller than a two storey house worth of water coming your way. Unbelievable that anything in Sendai is left.

Will have to watch vids when I get home.
  • It'll be morning there soon, so the rescue crews will be able to really get to those people in need. I imagine the TV coverage will be updated also.
  • Heard one report on the radio (UNCONFIRMED) that a train had been swept away by the surge. Not one of the bullet trains, but still . . . even a TTC train is a lot of friggin' weight to be "sweeping" anywhere . . .

Mother Nature never ceases to amaze with her power . . . :-\

Just heard a report on the news . . . the US Geological Survey is reporting that, as a result of the quake, the coastline of Japan's north island has shifted 8 feet.

EIGHT FEET !!!
  • Just found out that several Ontario indy wrestlers were on a tour in Japan not very far from the epicenter of the earthquake/tsunami. Everyone safe but boy what a bad time to be trying to live the dream.
  • Some good news in a bad time. Glad to hear it, Cerb.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Some good news in a bad time. Glad to hear it, Cerb.

+1, glad everyone is OK.

I couldn't imagine being through something like that. The quake lasted up to 2 minutes, which would seem like forever.
  • Check out the video on cbc's main page. Scariest footage of the tsunami yet.

• Not surprisingly, just heard that they cancelled the tour and are back in Canada Wednesday. I think, rightfully so, the people in Japan have better things to spend their money on.
  • Same for Iron Maiden

Watched the CBC vids . . . is it wrong that I kept thinking of George Costanza? The sea was angry my friends . . . like an old man returning soup at the deli.