Bankrioll Question

Do you guys think that 100 buy ins is enough of a cushion for 45man SNGs and MTTs ?
At what point should I drop down ? 80 buyins ?

My goal is to start withdrawing half my profits for the month and use the other half to build the bankroll.

Comments

• 100 buyins is fine, you can drop down stakes when you're down to 50 buyins imo
  • What level?
  • jdAA88 wrote: »
    100 buyins is fine, you can drop down stakes when you're down to 50 buyins imo
    Vekked wrote: »
    What level?

100 down to 50 seems like a big swing, imo.

Not that it really matters, but I was thinking $26 MTT.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »

I ran an ROI simulation a while back on 45mans and 50 BI downswings are not that uncommon.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    I ran an ROI simulation a while back on 45mans and 50 BI downswings are not that uncommon.

And while I agree (have experienced 20 personally), I am just wondering at what point do you think I should drop back to the $11 ones ? Or is this just a personal comfort level ?
  • It's more of a personal preference.

Knowing that 50BI downswings can happen, I'd probably use the mid point and say move down at 50BI (which still leaves 80-100BI at the lower level) and backup when I reach 100BI for the next level.

ie:

@6.50

I'd want a BR of $650
    When I hit $325 i'd move down to the $3.30 and still have 90BI
    When I got above $650 again I'd move up.

Another way would be to start mixing in the $6.50 when you hit 70BI @ the $6.50 level.

Hope this ramble make sense. :)
    Hope this ramble make sense. :)

That makes great sense and perfectly explains what I wasn't doing for a handful of years. Wasn't playing 45 mans though.

You may not think it, but I can guarantee your swings will get bigger as you move up, and thus your bankroll needs to be bigger. I would not feel comfortable at $60 (stars) or $75 (FTP) 45 mans with 100 buy-ins. I would feel comfortable at $5.

I would say by virtue of asking this question you should start a level lower that you are far over-rolled for. So if you have 2-3k I'd start at 10s first and get a feel first hand for the variance in them. Play a few hundred before moving up.

I've coached/staked a few player through the levels at 45 and 90 mans on FTP and 70-90 buy-in downswings are entirely possible for overall winning players as low as the $10 level. I'd say something like 100 buy-ins to move up and moving down after you drop 30 is reasonable if you're strict about it. This is if you're confident that you have a significant edge at these games at some level. Like I said though, if you haven't put significant volume in at them, I'd start 1 level lower so you can stay at the level longer and get a feel/adjust/know if you can actually beat the game before starting at 26s and playing people who are literally playing them for a living and leaking a bunch of money when you could've fixed those leaks for cheaper 1 level below.

Worst case scenario is that you're actually a winning player at 26s long run but when you start them you brick your first 30 games right away. Then it'll be an other few weeks, a month, 2 months before you get back to them after you drop down and you give up so much of your EV moving too fast and actually slow down the rate at which you build your roll.

Perhaps the biggest winner all time on stars 45s with one of the highest ROIs (DNA2RNA) went on a 200 buy-in downswing and broke even for over 2000 games after having already won over 70k at them over 6000 games.
  • Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming. I have been very successful at the $11 45man games but have been struggling with the $26 ones. I think I will use a hybrid approach, playing a mix of both, helping to reduce variance and the effect on my roll.

I like the idea of mixing levels when my roll is in the in-between stages of moving up or down.
  • It's unlikely tht you've played enough of either to know if you are even a winning player at them (I think you need 10k to approx true ROI)...I would concentrate on increasing volume at lower levels until you can comfortably 8-12 table the 45s and then consider moving up. Download the free table ninja trial to start.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    It's unlikely tht you've played enough of either to know if you are even a winning player at them (I think you need 10k to approx true ROI)...I would concentrate on increasing volume at lower levels until you can comfortably 8-12 table the 45s and then consider moving up. Download the free table ninja trial to start.

Doubt 10k games would be a good approximate of your true roi. People say stuff like this as if the games/your skill doesn't change. If all conditions were the same for 10k games then sure, but they're absolutely not. For all practical purposes 2k games is going to be enough to know about how well you're beating the games. 10k games won't actually say as much about your true roi as you think in reality.
    Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming. I have been very successful at the $11 45man games but have been struggling with the $26 ones. I think I will use a hybrid approach, playing a mix of both, helping to reduce variance and the effect on my roll.

I like the idea of mixing levels when my roll is in the in-between stages of moving up or down.

Sorry I may have misread your OP. Are you talking about 45 Man SNGs and Scheduled MTTs, or 45 man games in general? I answered assuming it was playing only 45 mans. If it's scheduled MTTs it depends even more on your goals and such.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I would concentrate on increasing volume at lower levels until you can comfortably 8-12 table the 45s and then consider moving up. Download the free table ninja trial to start.

Excellent idea !! I have always been terrible at multi tabling and I would like to increase my volume as opposed to having to play higher limits. I have never tried table ninja and having watched the tutorial, I think this will help me immensely. I'll start really low until I am confident I can use it successfully.
  • Vekked wrote: »
    Sorry I may have misread your OP. Are you talking about 45 Man SNGs and Scheduled MTTs, or 45 man games in general? I answered assuming it was playing only 45 mans. If it's scheduled MTTs it depends even more on your goals and such.

My bread and butter will definitely be the 45man games. I have done well at them over the last 3 months, having played almost 500, only playing 2-3 at a time though. Most of my success has been at the $11 buy-in level.

I will still play the odd $26 buy in tourney and satty into biggers ones too.

I want to thank everyone who has responded so far, it means a lot to have folks take an active interest in helping me get better playing this great game.