Any SNG Grinders?

Are there any SNG grinders here (e.g., Supernova)? I am thinking of switching from online tournaments to grinding SNGs, including DONs, heads-up, 5-table and possibly $200+ STTs. Aside from rakeback/rewards and knowing ICM / Nash Equilibrium, what are the other critical success factors to being a winning SNG multi-tabling grinder?

Comments

• I'm not really a SNG grinder but from my sessions with Trash370 you want to take a boatload of notes on other regs so you know when to get out of line and otherwise play a solid game that allows you to get to 50/100 with a stack that you can raiefold
  • In my experience, just staying in it until it gets down to 4 or 5 players is most important.
    By that time its push or fold and who gets the best hand when they finally do call each other. These are at the $20-$60 buy in level.

Most players won't call light on the bubble, so you can steal quite a bit when the blinds get higher. Take note of which players have tightened up and steal, steal, steal.

There is a great book by Colin Moshman on single table SNGs. Its called SNG Stategy.
  • Wish I could help at those levels, still grinding the $5 and $10 where it can be next to impossible to push someone off marginal hands (can work in your favour but does lead to frustrating sessions). Agree with the book suggestion by djgolfcan. Also check out Secrets of Sit N' Goes by Phil Shaw
  • HEY!!! Welcome back, guy . . . long time no post. You been lurking, or were you in the 'stan?
  • Been lurking and extremely busy at work...... helped get latest crew ready to go over....
  • Shaw's book is very good.

What kind of bank roll are you working with? I mean you can grind SNGs but after a certain point if you can do either MTTs are going to likely yield a higher hourly and such. Also planning on grinding all types of SNGs probably isn't the best idea, I mean each format takes months or years to become proficient at, you're probably much better off focussing on 1 format. Not to mention if you're multi-tabling DONs, standard 1 tables, and 45s or something and have to keep track of which are which. Seems awful.

I've put in a couple thousand games at single tables, 45s, and 90s-180s each, and between 1-2k at HU SNGs.

Single tables are probably the biggest grind in my opinion, obviously they depend a lot on knowing regs tendencies and eeking out those small edges. The problem is its possible to have certain games/tables that are going to be unbeatable unless you're one of the top players, so game selection is key in these.

For HU SNGs you're going to have your highest possible long-term profit, and you can reach a very high hourly at the highest levels, but again game selection is relatively important, although it mostly takes the form of sitting first and waiting for fish, but at a certain point you're going to have to play a lot of regs and there will be a lot of tossing around rake. Also there are no real ICM considerations if you feel that's part of your edge. There's a lot more "poker" in heads up SNGs. You can't get away with auto-pilotting near as much either. Also your hourly will likely start off as being much smaller for the start if you haven't previously played a lot of heads up, so if you depend on the profit... probably don't make the switch all at once.

For 45s/90s/180s, these are going to be the "easiest" in the sense that you never have to game select, games will basically always be profitable, and your ROI will be the highest. Dealing with variance is important with these since it will be higher than most other games. ICM plays a factor late which will eek out some ROI edges for you later on. There's much more room to exploit regs in these in a variety of ways than in 9-mans since you don't have to abide by ICM as much and you have a bit more play in the early levels, and you put a lot more hands in during the course of a game in order to take advantage of their leaks.

I'd rather cut off my sack than grinds DONs, lol.
  • CdnVet0506 wrote: »
    Been lurking and extremely busy at work...... helped get latest crew ready to go over....
    Vet. You folks don't get enough credit for what you do.
    My Grandfather was a 30 yr man and fought in WWII .
    I just want to say Thanks. Glad to hear from you.:)
  • What Vekked said - you are probably better off playing 45/90/180 as oppose to single table

I played nothing but DON for 1 week just to make Platinum Star for a prop bet, and half-way through I already wanted to kill myself

If you do play single/18/27, definitely take notes on regulars as alot of them are playing cruise control/abc until it gets to the final few players, so you can take adv of that in the mid-stages of the game.

No input on HU
  • Wow what crazy timing this is blondefish.;)
  • I think you'd rather shoot yourself than grind sngs...but I feel the same way about MTTs...gl.