Wireless router

Ok so just a hour ago I lost connection to the internet again!, Last weekend this happened as well, I have a linksys router which is coming up to almost 3 years old which has a p.c. hooked up to it as well.

Question is, being 3 years is a router at it's life end? If it is any ones you suggest for under 100 bucks.

Any other ideas or knowledge of a router?,lol

Thankfully I was not playing poker(ended up deciding not to play a mtt today)

Comments

• There really isn't a life end to a router. I would suggest you reset it back to factory defaults and then set it up again. What internet provider do you use? is it DSL or cable?
  • compuease wrote: »
    There really isn't a life end to a router. I would suggest you reset it back to factory defaults and then set it up again. What internet provider do you use? is it DSL or cable?

Rogers and cable.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Rogers and cable.

Should be easy then, on the back there should be a little hole that you can stick the end of a pen in. Hold the little button in there for like 10 sec then let go. The router lights should all turn off then on and perform a reset routine. Once it looks normal (say 2 min) then your internet should be working on the directly connected computer. Before you connect wirelessly you will need to setup the wireless parameters again.
  • Think I busted that reset button, but not sure,lol I unplugged the power of the router, waited 10-30 seconds then plugged it back in and back on the internet.

Will this reset the settings also? or no doubt do more damage then good,lol
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Think I busted that reset button, but not sure,lol I unplugged the power of the router, waited 10-30 seconds then plugged it back in and back on the internet.

Will this reset the settings also? or no doubt do more damage then good,lol

No that won't reset it, however you can open a web browser then put the IP address of the router in the address bar, go into the setup for the router, then I think it's under "admin" or similar where you can reset it that way.

I could also remote into it and try an reset it up for you that way if you want.
  • Doesn't Rogers offer customer service? You're paying them, let them fix it!
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Doesn't Rogers offer customer service? You're paying them, let them fix it!

Rogers isn't responsible for his own router, only their cable box, not beyond..
    Rogers isn't responsible for his own router, only their cable box, not beyond..

Really? I had a problem with a crappy old router in '08 and Bell offered to talk me through the issue. We did, and it turns out they couldn't help me so they SENT me one of theres at no charge. I will say that it is a modem/router so it was in their best interest.

No problems since.
    No that won't reset it, however you can open a web browser then put the IP address of the router in the address bar, go into the setup for the router, then I think it's under "admin" or similar where you can reset it that way.

I could also remote into it and try an reset it up for you that way if you want.

I will try the web browser thing first if/when it happens again.

Thanks! :)
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Really? I had a problem with a crappy old router in '08 and Bell offered to talk me through the issue. We did, and it turns out they couldn't help me so they SENT me one of theres at no charge. I will say that it is a modem/router so it was in their best interest.

No problems since.

Bell supplies a modem/router combo so that is their responsibility. None of the internet providers supply Linksys routers to my knowledge, however Linksys tech support is actually quite good.

and you are welcome Philli... :)
  • Quick question on setting up a Linksys router with Rogers Internet (I believe it is DSL).

I gave my sister a Wireless N router a few weeks ago but I could not get her Internet work on the router. When plugged directly to the computer, the internet was fine, but it did not work through the router. I am going back again next weekend to see if I can get it working.

I did some searching on tech forums... Do I have to setup the MAC Cloning, or should it just work once I connect it and reset the modem?

It may have been the cables - one was a bit strange, so I am bringing some extra cables.
  • Quick question on setting up a Linksys router with Rogers Internet (I believe it is DSL).

I gave my sister a Wireless N router a few weeks ago but I could not get her Internet work on the router. When plugged directly to the computer, the internet was fine, but it did not work through the router. I am going back again next weekend to see if I can get it working.

I did some searching on tech forums... Do I have to setup the MAC Cloning, or should it just work once I connect it and reset the modem?

It may have been the cables - one was a bit strange, so I am bringing some extra cables.

If it's DSL you have to put the username/password in the router settings. If it's cable it should work on factory defaults. You do NOT need to do any MAC cloning.
  • Thanks for the feedback - I will give it a try this upcoming weekend.
  • Just noticed, you said this is Rogers internet, if so it's cable or cellular not DSL.
  • It is definitely not cellular. They have Rogers Cable TV, so it must be Rogers Cable internet (I was not sure if there was a distinction with DSL)... I probably just have to reset the wireless router or it was one of the cables.

I will let you know how it goes...
  • DSL is phone line fyi... stands for Digital Subscriber Line... lol, why, I have no idea..
  • It is definitely not cellular. They have Rogers Cable TV, so it must be Rogers Cable internet (I was not sure if there was a distinction with DSL)... I probably just have to reset the wireless router or it was one of the cables.

I will let you know how it goes...

If it is Rogers Cable call tech help and they will talk you through the process takes about 5 minutes. After you reset the router the computer will work fine,however it will knockout your wireless network and you are better of deleting old network names. Trust me if you don't how the call will save you alot of time and aggravation.