Dufferdevon's March Madness

This is it, this is the month I really push up the bankroll. I am going to play nothing but $22 SNGs and $11, 45man SNGS and the occasional $26 tournies. I have to gain entry into the $26 tournies with tickets or satties.

The goals this month

Crack the $2000 barrier for my bankroll ($900 profit for the month)
Satty into 4 MinFTOP tournies
Play over 400 total events
Maintain Iron Man Silver level
Do not play tired or too long
Update this thread at least every other day

Comments

• After three days, I am up a whopping......... $4.84 !!

First day I ended down almost $140 - second day up $142 - Third day, up almost $3

On a positive note, I am on pace for Gold Iron Man. And I am really comfortable playing the 45man games.

Not much fazes me any more, even getting knocked out in 8th when my AQ ran into QQ, Ace on the flop, the case queen hits the turn. Or when I went out in 4th when I would have been chip leader if my AK held up against A7.

Just keep putting myself in position, the wins and money will come.
  • I think I need to put a stop playing amount when things are not going well. I went absolutely nuts on Sunday, playing way too much, for too much in buy-ins and have almost given back all the profits I made in Febraury.

Looking back, its one big snowball effect. It starts out with small losses, then wanting to make up those losses, then, well, you get the idea. I lost $360 in one day, and am back down to just over $800.

It is so true that it takes a long time to build a roll and an instant to lose it. The good news is that this has happened early in the month and there is plenty of time to start to re-build. If I can get back to even for the month, I would be ecstatic.
  • I once read an article in Cardplayer titled "Your results are irrelevant".

I think for anyone that consistently looks at how much they are up/down it is an absolutely essential read.

Devon - Im not sure if these posts motivate you in some way but Im being very serious when I say that, as an MTT player, this kind of micro analysis is going to drive you crazy. Make you feel like a bad player, when you're not.

Say you keep this thread up and have a bad month (Heres hoping you dont). Every day or so you post how much more you are down. This is going to have an extremely negative effect in your head.

Every session I tell myself my results are irrelevant. I rarely if ever sharkscope/OPR myself. The only time you should be looking at your bankroll is to verify that youre ABI is where it should be for how much you have.

Wetts on Poker Psychology 101.

The End/
  • Well said Wetts.
  • Thanks for the encouragement Wetts. I am curious as to how you keep track of your results ? I started a spreadsheet this year to keep track of every game, results, etc.. So it is difficult not to see how I am doing, unless I dont have it totalled until the end of the month ?

I think I may try that and just record the games but no totals.

It sure was easier updating this thread when I was doing well or breaking even. But poker is a process and about making the right decisions even if the result doesn't turn out they way you want.

I just need to start making more correct decisions regarding game selection and length of play. I cannot make up my losses in one game, one week, and maybe not in a month. Just got to keep grinding away.
  • Agree w/ wetts mostly. I still look at scope/OPR a bunch because downswings and such don't affect me that much psychologically anymore, but yea, def worry about your play and not results. The swings and breakeven stretches in MTTs are unmatched and even the best of the best have 500 average buy-in downswings, and 2000-3000 game breakeven stretches.
  • Well binking $1700 the other day has certainly helped my outlook. I still need to work on taking solice that I am making correct decisions when the downswing starts again.

I have started to play more single table SNGs while I am playing MTTs and it is helping to smooth over the variance somewhat. Looking forward to Sunday, as I have sattied into a satty for the $750k GTD (1 in 5 get a ticket), plus playing two mini FTOPS as well.
  • So I've decided to not post any more of my results in the forum. Its not that I am doing poorly or amazing, just that short term profits/losses are not a reflection of how well someone is playing.

I need to focus on the process, decision making and not my balance sheet. I will be posting more hands in the analysis section though. Any advice is appreciated and always welcomed.

I am playing alot more volume than I have in previous months but I am not looking at my winrate / bankroll until the end of the month.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    So I've decided to not post any more of my results in the forum.
    In before busto? :):)
  • compuease wrote: »
    In before busto? :):)

Umm, no. Well, I guess there's always a chance. But I know where I can get some suc... err, backers to get me back into the game.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Umm, no. Well, I guess there's always a chance. But I know where I can get some suc... err, backers to get me back into the game.

Glad to be your suc... err, backer anytime... ^-^
  • Made a couple of deep runs last night - 60th in the $32K GTD and 17th in the $35K GTD both started with 1400 & 1600 runners respectively.

Its a shame I wasn't more patient near the end of the $35K GTD, made a few questionable calls that cost me chips and put me in push/fold mode sooner than I needed to be. Actually, looking back, they weren't questionable, they were just dumb. Oh well, as long as I learn from it.