Need advice about scotch

I have a 40th birthday party to attend this weekend. I thought I would pick up a nice bottle of scotch for the birthday boy. However, I really don't know anything about what makes a good scotch.

I am not looking to spend a ridiculous amount of money, but would like to get a bottle that he might not normally splurge for. I would appreciate some advice.

Comments

• Glennfiddich 15 year old Single Malt

Single Malt > Blends
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Glennfiddich 15 year old Single Malt

Single Malt > Blends

QFT

Glenlivet is another solid choice. If he likes scotch, he should like either of those. Nothing out of the ordinary, just good.
    Glennfiddich 15 year old Single Malt

Single Malt > Blends

Glennfiddich 15 is a good choice if you don't know what kind of scotch he likes.

I've tried a bunch of other Glennfiddich ...

The 18 year old is very nice but it's rather expensive, and the 12 year old is good value for the money.

The 12 year old Coran Reserve is very nice if you like peaty scotch. But it's not for people who dislike Islay peaty scotches like Laphroig.

Other good choices for scotches that a good buy if you don't know what kind of scotch they like are:

The Macallan:

The 10 and 12 year old in sherry/fine oak are very good and not too expensive.

Highland Park:

The 12 year old is very good, The 18 year old is exceptional.

#################################
    If you give me a price range, I'll tell you what I think is the best value for the buck. Any idea what kind of scotch he likes? Does he mix it with pop?
  • Does he mix it with pop?

Blasphemy!

• Does he mix it with pop?
    Blasphemy!

If he mixes it with pop then you should get him a 40oz of something like Johnny Walker Red.
  • If he mixes it with pop then you should get him a 40oz of something like Johnny Walker Red.

Ok, you have a point. I have a bottle of Red for making rob roys.
  • Another idea if you don't know what kind of scotch he likes is to buy a bunch of miniatures. That way he can try a bunch of different scotch without having to get a bottle of something he might not like.
  • LDA

For example the Highland Park miniatures collection includes a bottle of the 30 year old. This is something that would be really expensive if you bought a whole bottle of it.
  • You also might want to read the older scotch thread for ideas.

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f12/scotch-21461/
  • Glennfiddich 15 is a good choice if you don't know what kind of scotch he likes.

The 12 year old Coran Reserve is very nice if you like peaty scotch. But it's not for people who dislike lowland peaty scotches like Laphroig.

What? Lowland peat is what makes scotch. Not a big fan of Glennfiddich. I wouldn't call that something special that someone wouldn't normally buy anyways. It's the most known so it's what the general scotch buying public goes for first.

Scotch has gotten insanely expensvie. Not sure what you are looking to spend but my standard fallback scotch has always been Glenlivet 12 year old. $46

Something really nice is the Glenmorangie Port Wood finish. I just went back and tasted all my scotch's (thanks for the little journey of heaven) and I would pick that one. Aww crap can't find it on LCBO site. Though the Longmorn 16 is also good at $99.
  • Considering the calendar, there are some nice looking Irish Whiskys in the current Vintages magazine from the LCBO. Locke's 8yr. old is reasonably priced
  • Not much on the Scotch. Glenn Fiddich or Johnny Walker are all pretty good from what I have heard from people I know.
    They can get extremely pricey. Friends of ours owned a scottish pub. They did a scotch nosing once a month.
    They imported a bottle of scotch from Scotland. I will see if I can find the name of it. I know it was a rare type that only comes out like every 5 yrs. Can't remember for sure but Doug showed me this fancy bottle. He had a group of 4 men who came into the pub once a week for dinner and a shot of scotch.
    $385.00 per ounce was the price he sold this stuff for.
    He ordered a 2nd bottle 3 months later. The bar was broken into and this bottle along with several others were stolen.
    At least the crooks had good taste ...
  • moose wrote: »
    Though the Longmorn 16 is also good at $99.

Will need to try that.
    Will need to try that.

Come over anytime. Tmr we head to BCC at 7 pm.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    They imported a bottle of scotch from Scotland.

Most redundant post ever!
  • But, what if you were importing said Scotch from the USA, because the LACBO did not carry it?
  • Did you end up buying a bottle?