next deposit and strategy help needed

If this message is too long looking to keep your interest, just skip to last 2 paragraphs for the meat of the posting....

I need a strategy for my "new" online game. I've taken a hiatus for the last couple of months from FTP and am about to make a comeback. That being said, I am tired of making little dinky $30-$60 deposits and feeling the pressure of having to cash in the 5 or 6 games that I'll play.

When I deposit that amount, I am so scattered with my game selection. I usually play a $20 sng first. If I lose that, then I start feeling the need to make as much money as possible for the least buyin so I end up playing a $6-$10 45 or 90 man mtt and maybe a little Omaha if I'm left with under $10 (hoping to just donk out and double or triple up). So yeah, scatteredbrained...

My next deposit will be $200-300 or so. Cash games are not my specialty. Single 9 man sngs are okay for me, I have my share of wins but have racked up many non cashes as well. Same goes with 6 max. I guess my strength (where I've had my best luck) is mtt's. With a $3300 cash one time and several $200-400 cashes in others.

Where do you suggest I start? Would single table sngs be my best chance of building up a BR since there are only 6 people to outlast?
Maybe 18 player sngs for a little more prize money? Should I stick to where I have most success and do the 45-90 mtts?
What would be my best option for buyin ranges for single table and mtt sngs? I do like to throw my hat into the ring for some of the huge $10 tourney's that pay out a few thousand bucks for the top 3 but I know very well my chances are slim.

Anyway, I hope to get some answers from the seasoned online vets here

Comments

• Stick mainly to your bread and butter games (45-90 man) with a 3-5% average buyin.

Take some shots at the MTTs. Say at a 5-1 ratio of 45/90 mans to MTT to smooth variance.

Google Poker Fox bankroll for a couple of good articles.

Good luck.
  • cash games
  • Pot limit Omaha $100 table cash >:D

Seriously, Hobbes' advise is dead on, especially if you want to prevent reloading in the future.
  • I should consider reading that article Hobbes mentioned. I've got a decent amount of practice using the deposit button, but as Comp said to me once..."So, you haven't worn out the withdrawal button yet eh?"

He broke my heart.

On a more serious note, I'd agree with making a larger deposit. You won't pay as much in banking/cc fees (if you are charged them) by doing a one time deposit as opposed to several (my strategy), and you won't feel pressured to play certain games that 'fit in' as you mentioned.
  • I think an online poker course would be beneficial to me as well. Will check for threads on that.

thanks for the advice so far
  • If you do find info about that (online poker course), if you could post your opinions about what you found in this thread. I've been considering this as well.
  • On a serious note...

With roll of say $300 to start, I would recommend sticking to the 45man $5.50 SnGs. That starting roll is plenty to deal with any variance should it start negatively on you right away. I would recommend no more than 2 games at a time until you a) build up to around $500 or so and b) have an ROI of around 20%. The payouts for these are pretty decent, and should you only win in a couple, you recoup any loss quickly should you get cold decked in a few games.

I've been concentrating on these myself lately, and have builtup my roll quite nicely. According to OPR, I'm ITM 19% and have an ROI of 55%, <end brag>. What I want to demonstrate here is that if you only cash one out of every five games you play, you can still build up a nice bankroll.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Pot limit Omaha $100 table cash >:D

Seriously, Hobbes' advise is dead on, especially if you want to prevent reloading in the future.
    I should consider reading that article Hobbes mentioned.

Here are 2 of them

Basic Bankroll Management

Are You a Bankroll Nit?
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    If this message is too long looking to keep your interest, just skip to last 2 paragraphs for the meat of the posting....

I need a strategy for my "new" online game. I've taken a hiatus for the last couple of months from FTP and am about to make a comeback. That being said, I am tired of making little dinky $30-$60 deposits and feeling the pressure of having to cash in the 5 or 6 games that I'll play.

Deposit more!, I did the same until my last one which I threw 200 bucks on, it relieves the pressure somewhat.

When I deposit that amount, I am so scattered with my game selection. I usually play a $20 sng first. If I lose that, then I start feeling the need to make as much money as possible for the least buyin so I end up playing a $6-$10 45 or 90 man mtt and maybe a little Omaha if I'm left with under $10 (hoping to just donk out and double or triple up). So yeah, scatteredbrained...

My next deposit will be $200-300 or so. Cash games are not my specialty. Single 9 man sngs are okay for me, I have my share of wins but have racked up many non cashes as well. Same goes with 6 max. I guess my strength (where I've had my best luck) is mtt's. With a $3300 cash one time and several $200-400 cashes in others.

This is the way to go!
    Where do you suggest I start? Would single table sngs be my best chance of building up a BR since there are only 6 people to outlast?
    Maybe 18 player sngs for a little more prize money? Should I stick to where I have most success and do the 45-90 mtts?
    What would be my best option for buyin ranges for single table and mtt sngs? I do like to throw my hat into the ring for some of the huge $10 tourney's that pay out a few thousand bucks for the top 3 but I know very well my chances are slim.

Single tables are o.k. but yes 18 MAN'S!!(until we are at same table, then well your screwed,lol) and stick with what you have the most success in
    Anyway, I hope to get some answers from the seasoned online vets here

See bold part's.;)
  • Or you ( or this forum)needs a 18 man challenge!

I say you, yoda/batman, wetts and the guy who wrote the book on 18 man's me!:D.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Or you ( or this forum)needs a 18 man challenge!

I say you, yoda/batman, wetts and the guy who wrote the book on 18 man's me!:D.

I'll be honest, I have no fn idea what you're rambling on about
  • Long weekends, sigh
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I have no fn idea what you're rambling on about

You're better off man
  • The other part of this is to manage your expectations. You can't win/cash in every game, although, I go into every one trying to win. My ROI this month is only at 11%, that means I have to play $1000 in tournies just to win $110.

There will be good and bad streaks, just enjoy the good ones, and don't lose all your money during the bad ones. In the 45man SNGS, you can lose 15 in a row, but win one and you are back to even.

Play well, build your roll.
  • Building a bankroll playing tournaments is a hard and can be a long process, you pretty much have to ship a tourney. That is why it is important to take shots, especially if you have means to redeposit. If you want to play poker tournaments for fun while making some extra money, play the 45s/90s/180s. If you want to build a bankroll to play the majors, theres plenty of good $26s on Full Tilt. The better tournies on stars are $55s. The $27.50 at 8pm is the next best option.

Also play satellites.
  • Sunday Mirrion obv.....

If you're on FTP.... and SNG's are ur specialty..., play the $3 step 1's.....then play the $8 18man step 2's, top 5 get $26 tourney ticket. These are all suuuuuper soft. You can probably turn the $200 deposit into 15-20 $26 tickets quite easily, but it will be a grind... Use those for either the 45-90 man sng's or MTT's for maximum shippage.
  • I am actually doing a bankroll challenge because I am bored with poker for the most part and I wanted something challenging. I took 50 dollars from my stars account and set it aside to build to 500. I am playing about 10 to 15 tournies at a time. They are the 18 man 1.75s and 3.40s...so far playing over the last two weeks and a total of 10 hours I have gone from 50 to 300.

I think I have played close to 600 of these things so far. They are fun and once I get up to 500 I will move over to 3.40s and 6.50s.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    Sunday Mirrion obv.....

If you're on FTP.... and SNG's are ur specialty..., play the $3 step 1's.....then play the $8 18man step 2's, top 5 get $26 tourney ticket. These are all suuuuuper soft. You can probably turn the $200 deposit into 15-20 $26 tickets quite easily, but it will be a grind... Use those for either the 45-90 man sng's or MTT's for maximum shippage.

HMMM, might try this, the 1st step 1 I played I bubbled, have not played one since. :\