Cable tv packages

Ok, so rogers is raising the prices for cable and internet again:rolleyes2: pay more for same or shittier service, I am thinking of downgrading my cable tv package from the vip to digital plus, it looks like the same channels except for fewer movies(who cares I don't watch any) to fewer hd channels(who cares again as I will still get the ones I want).

I hope someone else on here has done this already or is thinking of it also and can tell me what the difference is between the 2 packages.

I have looked on the rogers website to see if I will still get the channels the household wants but I don't see anything about number of outlets with a digital plus package?. They use to have that info on the website but now I don't see it........:-\.

Before crazy GTA comes along and lol at paying for cable kind of deal, it is not my account I just pay for the household.

Also I REALLY don't want to call rogers and be on the phone for a hour, yes I may email them but wondering if you guys can give any additional tips or info.

Comments

• Also is it +ev (hi blondefish!:p) to buy the modem and hd box outright or keep "renting" them?
  • A tip Philli, call them and say you have been getting some really good offers from Bell to switch your internet, tv and phones to see if Rogers offers you any deals. I just did this yesterday with Cogeco and got approx $50. off my standard bill of $220. for at least the next 12 months. Two of my own sons did the same thing last week, that's where I got the idea from. They discounted our HD box and HD channels to zero as part of it.
    You have to be nice but persuasive if you know what I mean. You can't go off on a rant.
  • Cable? What year is it, 2005?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Cable? What year is it, 2005?

ding ding ding!

Who phones people anymore also?;)

****phone rings as I just typed this,lol****
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Cable? What year is it, 2005?

And your better option is??? Remember this is Ontario...
  • compuease wrote: »
    A tip Philli, call them and say you have been getting some really good offers from Bell to switch your internet, tv and phones to see if Rogers offers you any deals. I just did this yesterday with Cogeco and got approx $50. off my standard bill of $220. for at least the next 12 months. Two of my own sons did the same thing last week, that's where I got the idea from. They discounted our HD box and HD channels to zero as part of it.
    You have to be nice but persuasive if you know what I mean. You can't go off on a rant.

Why would you go off on a rant:confused:, I will try for the extra outlets at no charge.
    And your better option is??? Remember this is Ontario...

True dat! There are no other service providers really in some areas, trust me I looked.:)
  • When you call tell them you want to speak with someone in Customer Retention
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Why would you go off on a rant:confused:, I will try for the extra outlets at no charge.
    lol, I didn't go off on a rant, just advising you not to. :)
    Hobbes wrote: »
    When you call tell them you want to speak with someone in Customer Retention
    +1 This was where I ended up with Cogeco.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    When you call tell them you want to speak with someone in Customer Retention

I did the same thing last year and they reduced by bill from $140 a month to $89 for 12 months. Only condition was I could not reduce any of the services I was receiving. It all started because I called about downgrading my cable to light and within a week I got this offer from Rogers. Must be hurting for business right now.
  • I should check into this strategy as well.

Personally, I'm with GTA as far as cable for the telly goes. If I could simply truncate it, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, gf would ensure that was my last heartbeat. But that's another story.

Rogers just bought out the little cable company that supplies our town a couple of months ago. I've been waiting to see what changes they are going to be making, however nothing appears to have changed yet. The larger companies as always are swallowing up local suppliers across Canada. Too bad.
  • I was wondering when this was going to pop up in this thread.

Apparently the Libs and the NDP are calling for a change to the CRTC ruling, and Industry Minister Tony Clement has ordered a 'probe' into the decision.

Of course the Libs are requesting party donations on their website so that they have the resources to fight this issue appropriately.

There are petitions running all over the web to reverse this decision as well.

• Ya, I finally woke up to this issue. I was looking into smaller ISPs without a usage cap when I started hearing about this issue. I signed a petition and I monitor the issue through openmedia.ca . There's lots of info at the website and the aforementioned online petition can be signed there.
    Usage was rarely an issue for me since I have been downloading movies, or other media in any great quantities for years. As of late though, I've been watching more online TV and we got Netflix ('nuff said). Now we hit our usage cap mid month and we're penalized a surcharge. The options are to upgrade to a much more expensive internet package or switch but switch to a smaller carrier that might have to charge me the same or possibly more very soon seems pointless.
    Ideally, I would like to cancel my cable subscription all together and rely on the internet for all our media entertainment. I realize that this is the cable/satellite TV companies biggest fear and they want to dissuade people from doing this by making it cost ineffective for us.
  • For those thinking that TV is easily displaced by the interwebs

kind of hard when you have five televisions in your house. Personally I like the ease and simplicity that cable offers. Probably a great option if you only want to watch one show at a time.
  • Shtebs wrote: »
    . I realize that this is the cable/satellite TV companies biggest fear and they want to dissuade people from doing this by making it cost ineffective for us.

no i don't think thats it...i maybe wrong here.....but its the crtc who is afraid....and they are imposing the extra cost.....shaw etc won't cover it for the customers nor should they have to.....

shaw is working on things like 3d technology to combat the issue of losing customers...crtc is just old and out of date....
  • acanac.net FTW. No caps. pm me for a referral if you sign up plz.
  • moose wrote: »
    acanac.net FTW. No caps. pm me for a referral if you sign up plz.

They are just another provider piggybacking off the Bell DSL network using bulk purchased bandwidth so will not be immune to caps going forward. Most of these "aftermarket" suppliers are the same. Similar to the resellers of gas and hydro. Once Bell is charging them by capacity you know they will be charging you.
    Questions, how long do you have a guaranteed "no cap" service?
    What do you average per month in downloads now and what is your current download speed?

The biggest advantage you will get with dealing with DSL resellers is the fact that their tech support is usually much better than Bell's India based support.
    Only issue is if the line is the problem they will still have to open a Bell ticket to get it resolved since the infrastructure is still Bell's.

You will never get equivalent $ for $ speed from a DSL supplier vs cable however.

We did get a little off topic however since op was asking about cable tv originally. Hard to get that off a DSL line...
  • Meh, HM brought up a interesting topic, you can't go wrong talking about electronics.:)
  • Hell, might be worth starting a new thread about the usage based billing. Put up a linky to the petitions maybe too? Online gamers, netflix viewers, businesses, et al all have a stake in that.

But yes we did derail your thread Philli.
  • Of course the advice to Philli is still good, package your required services together and you will get a better price.
  • Whuh?!? You mean the government might, for once, not just tell the people to "lay back, and think of England"? Wow . . . that might almost get me to vote for Harper, but I'm not holding my breath. They'll still finad a way to screw us over . . . they always do.
    They are just another provider piggybacking off the Bell DSL network using bulk purchased bandwidth so will not be immune to caps going forward. Most of these "aftermarket" suppliers are the same. Similar to the resellers of gas and hydro. Once Bell is charging them by capacity you know they will be charging you.
    Questions, how long do you have a guaranteed "no cap" service?
    What do you average per month in downloads now and what is your current download speed?

The biggest advantage you will get with dealing with DSL resellers is the fact that their tech support is usually much better than Bell's India based support.
    Only issue is if the line is the problem they will still have to open a Bell ticket to get it resolved since the infrastructure is still Bell's.

You will never get equivalent $ for $ speed from a DSL supplier vs cable however.

We did get a little off topic however since op was asking about cable tv originally. Hard to get that off a DSL line...

Yeah right after I posted I got this email:

Ontario Residential 5Mbps DSL Plan:
    First 25GB at up-to 5Mbps. Beyond 25GB your speeds will be reduced to 100Kbps with unlimited transfer.

If you wish to remain at up-to 5Mbps, you can buy an additional 100GB of transfer for $9.95 per month. Beyond 125GB, speeds will be reduced to 100Kbps with unlimited transfer.

Please Sign the Stop The Meter petition at: Stop The Meter On Your Internet Usage Please also help us spread the word to your friends and neighbors.

I have no idea how much internet I use. It is on constantly. How much bandwidth does just surfing/streaming use? I dl maybe 10 gb a month.
  • I use over 70 gig a month.

What's my best option?

Right now I'm on a cable modem.
  • I use over 70 gig a month.

What's my best option?

Right now I'm on a cable modem.

If you care about speed then cable is your only option.