Man vs Machine

Thought this was interesting. IBM now has a computer that understands natural language and is going to test it out on Jeopardy. The best thing about it is that the code name is WATSON. You can see the process of making WATSON on you tube and the contest of man vs machine on jeopardy February 14, 15 and 16.

Comments

• Machine should have an advantage on signalling, unless there is a built-in delay. That could be enough of an advantage to win right there . . . Have to look up the details when I get home . . .

And, since when do you start threads?
  • Here:
    IBM's Watson supercomputer destroys all humans in Jeopardy practice round (video!) -- Engadget

here:
    Cosmic Log - Search engines could play 'Jeopardy'

and here:
    Inside Watson, IBM's Jeopardy Computer -- InformationWeek

Now this is the innovative progressive company I used to work for.... not the cynical manage by numbers company it became in the 90's...
  • Milo wrote: »
    And, since when do you start threads?

When you unemployed and bore you find yourself doing odd things like posting.
  • ItsaMe wrote: »
    When you unemployed and bore you find yourself doing odd things like posting.

I'm pretty sure this is one of the signs of the apocalypse!

EDIT: Just checked his profile. This thread is #4 started by Mario. I would have taken the under :(
  • That sucks Mario.
  • Just finished watching part 1.

That was wicked impressive.
  • good payday for everyone :)
  • Didn't see the shows, but have heard some theories..

What was the overall result?

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Didn't see the shows, but have heard some theories..

What was the overall result?

Mark

Watson kicked the crap out of everyone.
  • I would have been more impressed if they had waived the "lock out" period from the contest.

For those that don't know what I mean, when they read the Jeopardy questions, there is a half a second "lock out" period after Alex finished reading the question until the players can ring in. If someone rings in before that point it actually institutes a delay in the system before the person can ring in again.

By trial and error I'm sure Watson's programmers could find the proper time to ring in after a question, and thus would have an advantage just by sheer timing alone. You could tell after the first episode that Jennings was very frustrated because Watson was beating him to the buzzer every time.