Shaw Internet Usage Caps -- Need a New Provider

I prefer not to support this company any longer:

Shaw Cable to start billing extra for high Internet data usage

Can anyone suggest a different ISP for the Edmonton area before Shaw's usage caps kick in 2 months from now?

For anyone interested, so far I've found this:

http://www.nakedadsl.ca

Slower speeds but much cheaper and higher per dollar usage cap.

I believe I currently have a 10Mbps connection -- what differences would I notice switching to a 6Mbps connection? Main uses are playing poker, downloading movies and tv shows, rare streaming video (the odd sporting event) and surfing the interwebz.

Comments

• shaw can tell you what you use....it might not effect you....
  • At 6MB, streaming should work fine. You may notice that movies take somewhat longer to download but it will vary depending on where you donwload from. For surfing and poker you shouldn't notice any difference.
  • Honestly, you might find that extra fee slowly being added on to wholesalers who rents from Bell/Rogers with the latest CRTC ruling with regards to allowing Bell to bill wholesalers on usage.
  • I do remember, shaw getting grilled by the crtc about how there needs to be a tax paid on media transmissions since public channels and stations can't compete with internet piracy.....the shaw guy laughed, told them his 9year old daughter would even call them crazy and explained they would just pass that cost onto the consumers....meaning we (shaw) aren't paying that, and we doubt the consumers will too....not sure that relates.....
  • all these companies are thieves in canada
  • rcorp wrote: »
    all these companies are thieves in canada
    Proof? HVEE??
  • I have Cogeco.

There is a limit of about 40 Gigs per month before they start charging me extra.
    Every month I use 4 or 5 times that.
  • I have Cogeco.

There is a limit of about 40 Gigs per month before they start charging me extra.
    You download 160-200G month? wow, that is a helluva lot o pron... You must watch it all in fast forward.. :)
  • compuease wrote: »
    You download 160-200G month? wow, that is a helluva lot o pron... You must watch it all in fast forward.. :)

What? You actually watch the dialogue parts Jeff? Hell, I even fast forward through the foreplay now. My time is valuable.
  • I have Cogeco.

What's ur billio then?
  • compuease wrote: »
    proof? Hvee??

huh ???
  • Interesting article re usage caps. Petition with over 140,000 sigs on it already is within the article.

CHANNEL CANADA :: New Internet Usage Caps Hurt Canadians
  • you will want to make sure that your download and upload stream are limited on your torrent program. 200 down and 50 up was good when i was on DSL...it didn't degrade my surfing or streaming...although if you're on netflix you will want to test out different speeds... I'm assuming that you're on cable for shaw, and will be moving to DSL? if you have a phone line that isn't traditional (think voip or vonage) then you'll have to get a dry loop.... I would look into teksavvy (teksavvy.com) they have been leaders against the UBB stuff for years!