WTF Canada Broadcasting Standards Council

27 years ago Much Music came on the air. First video played.

MONEY FOR NOTHING DIRE STRAITS.
Today this song was banned from Canadian radio because it contains the word FAGGOT.

It's okay for rappers to yak their garbage about shooting cops and pimpin' their sisters and turning women into HO'S .

This politically correct shit sucks .:bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs:

Some guy in Newfoundland filed a complaint about it.
ca.yahoo.com

Comments

• Actually a rap artist suffered a similar ban not too long ago . . . I agree with your point, but getting the facts wrong hurts your argument . . .
  • So you can't call someone a meatball? :D
  • Hmm....

I agree with HVEE but likely for reasons differing.

In the song, the lead singer's "character" if you will is a send-up up a bigoted dullard Knopfler overheard one night in a bar. It's a tongue in cheek satirical commentary, not unlike South Park. Ban the song? No. Get the message? Not everyone.

Mark
  • You know, Mark, I believe you actually know enough about music to know that without having to have heard it from one of the radio "Talking Heads" today . . .

like the way I worked that in there?
  • Milo wrote: »
    You know, Mark, I believe you actually know enough about music to know that without having to have heard it from one of the radio "Talking Heads" today . . .

like the way I worked that in there?

Now Milo...

We talked about this, remember? When you think you're being funny, get someone to double check before posting!

Mark
    Actually a rap artist suffered a similar ban not too long ago . . . I agree with your point, but getting the facts wrong hurts your argument . . .

1 ! Is that all?
    One person complains and this is what happens.
    Spineless Bureaucrats IMO . I saw this on TV and the lady they were interviewing went on and on about how it was degrading to Gay's
    Give me a BREAK.
    Heaven forbid they would say something about RAP . You would be labelled a RACIST.
    BTW Milo. What facts? did I get wrong.
  • HVEE, you do realize that the CBSC is NOT a branch of the government, right. It is a self-governing industry group.
  • I don't listen to hip hop on the radio, does anyone know if they the censor the N word? Even if it's pronouced *-a instead of *-er?

I consider myself a fairly PC guy. I hate any slandering that is demeaning to a persons race, orientation, religion, etc.

If a song is directly hateful and bigoted then it should be banned. But banning DSs MFN because of one word seems over the top. Their whole take on the song seems out of context, doesn't it?

HVEE, being PC doesn't suck. Treating everybody with respect and dignity is cool.
  • FWIW

They say "Faggot" three times...

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    FWIW

They say "Faggot" three times...

Mark

My bad. I don't listen to Dire Straits very often. (Although that guitar riff is very cool)

I googled the lyrics. Discuss:

I want my MTV

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it
    You play the guitar on the MTV
    That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
    Money for nothin' and your chicks for free
    Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
    Lemme tell ya them guys ain't dumb
    Maybe get a blister on your little finger
    Maybe get a blister on your thumb

We gotta install microwave ovens
    Custom kitchen deliveries
    We gotta move these refrigerators
    We gotta move these colour TV's

(See the little faggot with the earring and the makeup
    Yeah buddy that’s his own hair
    That little faggot got his own jet airplane
    That little faggot he’s a millionaire)

Gotta install microwave ovens
    Custom kitchen deliveries
    Gotta move these colour TV's

I shoulda learned to play the guitar
    I shoulda learned to play them drums
    Look at that mama, she got it stickin' in the camera
    Man we could have some
    And he's up there, what's that? Hawaiian noises?
    Bangin' on the bongoes like a chimpanzee
    Get your money for nothin' get your chicks for free

We gotta install microwave ovens
    Custom kitchens deliveries
    We gotta move these colour TV's

Look a' here
    You play the guitar on your MTV
    Money for nothin' and chicks for free

Look at that, look at that

I want my, I want my, I want my MTV
    Money for nothin' and chicks for free

(Fade)
    I want my, I want my, I want my MTV
  • Reading the lyrics, it does seem like the intent was pretty hurtful. Instead of banning the song, why don't they just do what they always do: Radio Edit?
  • First I must say it's still one of my all time favourite albums. Mark Knopfler was/is a hugely underrated artist. His transformation with the Notting Hillbillies actually gave me country music I could stand.

But this is all about people hearing words they deem distasteful and forgetting that the context they're written in is of much greater importance. The lines of the song are written from the point of view from a working class bloke seeing an artist on MTV (let's say Prince for example). It's not Knopfler or Dire Straits calling Prince a faggot....it's them writing a lyric conveying the feelings of many regular "folks" sitting on their lazyboy as their kids have MTV on.

The word is distasteful when used on a playground or when arguing against someones lifestyle. In works of art, literature or song there should be much more acceptance as these words work wonders in telling a much more compelling and realistic story.

Seeing this and what's going on south of the border with Mark Twain's Huck Finn, my heart breaks.

/rant

EDIT: HVEE why would this story automatically stir up such negative emotions against Rap music? I think I know why but......
  • Let's not forget the old adage....

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. If we white-wash every unfortunate aspect of history, we lose the lessons sometimes. I had a kid in my group the other day spouting some racist things, and I challenged him on them. He asked me "Mark, aren't you proud to be white?" to which I said "Why would I be? White people have done some horrible horrible things, as have black people, hispanic people, asian people..."

Censoring a song / work of art or making sure it can't be shown isn't an act of attrition, it's a denial of responsibility.

Mark
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    27 years ago Much Music came on the air. First video played.

MONEY FOR NOTHING DIRE STRAITS.
    Today this song was banned from Canadian radio because it contains the word FAGGOT.

Ban = moronic. Nothing more needs to be added to above comments.

However, to set the record straight, Money For Nothing was not the first video aired on MuchMusic. It didn't even exist at that time.

The song Money For Nothing was recorded in December 1984 and released in June 1985. The accompanying video was filmed in June 1985 and first aired in July 1985.

From MuchMusic.com | About Us | FAQ:
    Q. What is the first video that MuchMusic aired?
    A. We hit the airwaves on August 31, 1984 with an early music-to-film synchronization short from the 1920s which featured Eubie Blake performing Snappy Songs. Then we aired Rush's "The Enemy Within."
  • However, to set the record straight, Money For Nothing was not the first video aired on MuchMusic. It didn't even exist at that time.

You are quite correct, but it was the video aired on MTV Europe in 1987.
  • And the first video on MTV was?

Get off the google, kiddies . . .
    And the first video on MTV was?

Get off the google, kiddies . . .

Video killed the radio star
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Video killed the radio star

They need a new one called internet killed MTV. They hardly play videos anymore.
  • First I must say it's still one of my all time favourite albums. Mark Knopfler was/is a hugely underrated artist. His transformation with the Notting Hillbillies actually gave me country music I could stand.

But this is all about people hearing words they deem distasteful and forgetting that the context they're written in is of much greater importance. The lines of the song are written from the point of view from a working class bloke seeing an artist on MTV (let's say Prince for example). It's not Knopfler or Dire Straits calling Prince a faggot....it's them writing a lyric conveying the feelings of many regular "folks" sitting on their lazyboy as their kids have MTV on.

The word is distasteful when used on a playground or when arguing against someones lifestyle. In works of art, literature or song there should be much more acceptance as these words work wonders in telling a much more compelling and realistic story.

Seeing this and what's going on south of the border with Mark Twain's Huck Finn, my heart breaks.

/rant

EDIT: HVEE why would this story automatically stir up such negative emotions against Rap music? I think I know why but......

That's not the reason you are thinking.
    I have friends of colour who can't stand the SHIT either.

Not much talent for someone to stand there and chant about GARBAGE.
  • Ban = moronic. Nothing more needs to be added to above comments.

However, to set the record straight, Money For Nothing was not the first video aired on MuchMusic. It didn't even exist at that time.

The song Money For Nothing was recorded in December 1984 and released in June 1985. The accompanying video was filmed in June 1985 and first aired in July 1985.

From MuchMusic.com | About Us | FAQ:
    Q. What is the first video that MuchMusic aired?
    A. We hit the airwaves on August 31, 1984 with an early music-to-film synchronization short from the 1920s which featured Eubie Blake performing Snappy Songs. Then we aired Rush's "The Enemy Within."

I am just going by what the reporter on Global news said. If I am wrong oh well.
    That's not the reason you are thinking.
    I have friends of colour who can't stand the SHIT either.

Not much talent for someone to stand there and chant about GARBAGE.

Which is the exact same thing as 95% of country music right now. Rap "generally" is geared towards a segment of the population below the poverty line. Same goes for country. Both talk about God a lot and treat women like they are meant for cooking, cleaning and having sex, nothing more.

It's a very black and white situation when you really look at it.

Also, as someone who listens to terrible pop music a lot, that stuff ain't much better.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Which is the exact same thing as 95% of country music right now. Rap "generally" is geared towards a segment of the population below the poverty line. Same goes for country. Both talk about God a lot and treat women like they are meant for cooking, cleaning and having sex, nothing more.

It's a very black and white situation when you really look at it.

Also, as someone who listens to terrible pop music a lot, that stuff ain't much better.
    Now now, The newer country music is all right. It' the old wangin twangin , My pickup truck was stolen , my girlfriend left me for a city slicker and someone shot my dog steady whine I can't stand.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    . It's a tongue in cheek satirical commentary, not unlike South Park.

reminds me of all the Americans who asked me if i was offended by the south park movie........
    south-park-blame-canada.jpg
    man.....oh man....
    Now now, The newer country music is all right. It' the old wangin twangin , My pickup truck was stolen , my girlfriend left me for a city slicker and someone shot my dog steady whine I can't stand.

Go watch some Trace Adkins or Atkins or whatever the hell his name is and how every woman in his videos is whoring it up, then tell me it's not the poor white version of rap music.

Really? I heard a country song yesterday. The chorus was "Beer is good, God is great, and people are crazy". Johnny Cash is rolling over in his grave.
  • did we establish that they didn't ban the song but just the version....or did i make that up?

sometimes I make stuff up...i get it from my mommy
  • darbday wrote: »
    did we establish that they didn't ban the song but just the version....or did i make that up?

sometimes I make stuff up...i get it from my mommy

Canadian Radio can play the song as long as they edit the the questionable word (Beep It Out ) whatever.
    Just like Alanis Morrisette's tune (You Ought To Know which contained the F-Bomb.
    Canadian Radio can play the song as long as they edit the the questionable word (Beep It Out ) whatever.
    Just like Alanis Morrisette's tune (You Ought To Know which contained the F-Bomb.

ic
    grumpy-muppets.jpg
  • darbday wrote: »
    ic
    grumpy-muppets.jpg
    Muppet Theater Critics!!!! lol