Giant Beer vats

If anyone in Bramalea/Brampton, or even northern Mississauga, is interested:

The 6 Molson beer vats will be moving from Mississauga Rd./Hwy 407 along Derry Rd. to Bramalea Rd. tonight. Friday night they head up Bramalea Rd and over to Hwy 27. starting at 9:00 p.m.

Apparently, it is quite something to see. I will be driving by them tomorrow morning on my way into work . . . assuming they make the mark overnight.

Comments

• Think they are coming from the old Lakeport Brewery? Not sure 100%
    I may be wrong : Labatts bought out Lakeport, Moved the operation to their London brewery. Sold off what they did not need to other breweries at an auction. Molson's bought the vats at said auction and are now moving them.
    Must be costing a small fortune to do this.
  • Are the dropping by AJ's place this evening with free samples perhaps?
  • Seem to recall that these are new construction, unloaded at Hamilton Harbour. Not 100% sure, though . . .

As for a visit to the Hill, they'll be starting to move at 2100 tonight, and stopping at 0600 tomorrow. They won't get close enough for a pitstop until around midnight Friday/Saturday.
  • Milo wrote: »
    I will be driving by them tomorrow morning on my way into work.

You sure that is going to be possible? Might be a massive traffic jam.

These are 100% new.

The beer vats, which resemble jet engines, have been loaded onto six giant flatbed trailers to be hauled by transport trucks.

WTF? I'm pretty sure this dude has never seen a jet engine in his life.
  • Assuming they make their mark overnight, they will be occupying the northbound lanes on Bramalea Rd. That would mean one lane each way for the daytime hours. I head into work around 0630 so traffic will be heavier, but not unbearable, especially as I will be truning off part way along. Throw in an extra 15 minutes and I should be fine . . .

stay tuned.

Looking at the pics, I kind of wish Molson had sprung to have them painted to look like giant beer cans.
  • Each vat hold 6 million bottles and I had heard the move is costing $20+million
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Each vat hold 6 million bottles and I had heard the move is costing $20+million

Sorry Hobbes . 1 million bottles give or take a few per vat.
  • The additional weight of all that paint would have made the job that much harder.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Sorry Hobbes . 1 million bottles give or take a few per vat.

You need to revisit your math.

Assuming they were round (7m) x 45m that would be 1730 cubic metres.
    1730 cubic metres = 1,730,000 litres.

Note sure where you buy your beer.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    1,730,000 litres.

In Turkmenistan this is called "Happy Hour" . . .
  • Molson.....eew.
  • Come on, Johnnie, after the first 100 litres, you're not really going to notice much of a difference, anyway . . .
  • They went through the Milton area last night. We took samples while they waited out the storm, sorry not much left..

http://www.insidehalton.com/news/article/927764--beer-vat-move-on-hold

InsideHalton Article: Vats roll through Hornby

Apparently the move costs 24 mill.
    Come on, Johnnie, after the first 100 litres, you're not really going to notice much of a difference, anyway . . .

I'm not drinking a 100L of Molson. Whadda think this is? Oktoberfest?*

*Molson is the main supplier of beer for KW Oktoberfest. It really sucks.
  • MY two favourite beers are Big Rock Traditional Ale, and whatever you happen to hand me . . .
    MY two favourite beers are Big Rock Traditional Ale, and whatever you happen to hand me . . .

Laker?
    MY two favourite beers are Big Rock Traditional Ale, and whatever you happen to hand me . . .

This reminds me of Mark's joke....

Did you hear about the worst time I ever received head?

It was awesome!!
  • Canadian, Sleemans Lager, Kokanee, The real stuff not the piss water that Labatts brews in London , Stella and Heineken.
  • Guys, don't go off topic. If you want discuss beers go here:

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f12/favourite-beers-5413/
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    I'm not drinking a 100L of Molson. Whadda think this is? Oktoberfest?*

*Molson is the main supplier of beer for KW Oktoberfest. It really sucks.
    JohnnieH wrote: »
    Guys, don't go off topic. If you want discuss beers go here:

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f12/favourite-beers-5413/

lol, you were the first one to mention good or bad beer... :)
  • Saw one of the trucks as it was turning onto Derry Rd in Mississauga tonight . . .
    pictures do not do justice to the size of these things.

They're basically the size of . . . not really sure what would apply.
    I guess the easiest way to describe it is like this:

The lot my house sits on is a 30' frontage x 120' in depth. These tanks are almost as big in diameter as my frontage, and they are longer than my entire property. And there's six of them. Cannot wait to see them tomorrow morning on the way into work. They will be parked a stone's throw from my house.
  • Copied this off a friends FB page:

164111_10150378509705352_519235351_16800757_2789088_n.jpg
  • They did not hit their mark last night. At least, not the published one. They are currently parked on Bramalea Rd. between Steeles and Hwy. 407. About 5 minutes from Ching Hill . . .
  • I've done some work for a local brewery (hint: I work in Guelph).

Here's a shot from the catwalk.

This tank holds a meager 600,000 bottles.

catwalki.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Cool, I'm guessing thats Hwy 6 in the upper left of the shot?
    Cool, I'm guessing thats Hwy 6 in the upper left of the shot?

You would be correct.