Here's some tournament rules for ya!

I got the info on the tournament coming up in Copetown (just outside of Dundas/Hamilton), in early February.

I'll cut 'n paste from the e-mail to the bottom of this message.

I must admit, I've never seen things worded they way they are in this message!! What do people think of this tournament? What follow-up questions should I be asking? I'm gonna ask about the size of the blinds, the betting structure (doesn't say if it's no limit, but I assume it is). I *assume* the last line is a joke! Anything else I should ask?

If anyone is actually interested in this tourney, let me know, and I'll give you the details. I might be wrong, but it sound like it's being run by people who don't do this on a regular basis. That might mean it might not be run the best, but it might also mean the competition might be pretty soft. Who knows?

macbb

Rules
• 8 players per table , each player will deal,
• First Jack determines first dealer.
• First player to left of dealer is small blind
• Second player to left of dealer is large blind
• Tournament will consist of three elimination rounds and the final
• Round One will evenly distribute 8 players ( assigned by lot) to each table
• At end of round one top 5 players (by chip count) from each table will move to round two
• The players not making the cut will be eligible for a $____.00. Buyin They will receive a new full
chip tray and will be seated as-designated by the "PIT BOSS"
• Buy in Amount to be announced by Pit Boss
• Round Two will commence at the sound of the bell. Blinds will be increased and a small Ante will
commence. Top 4 players of each table will advance to the semi-final (third round ) All eliminated
players must leave the active tables
• Antes must be put in by each player before any cards are dealt.
• Round Three - Blinds will be increased and Antes will be increased. ( No-Buyin allowed.)
• Round Four ( Final) the top 8 chip holders from the third round will qualify for the final. "Pit Boss"
will deal a hand of showdown to break ties in the event two or more people are tied for the eighth and
final chair.
• A House Dealer will deal the final round. Blinds and Antes will be increased over round three.
• Time Round One starts 7:30 ends 8:20 sharp'. I.
• Time Round Two starts 8:30 ends 9:50 sharp!!
• Time Round Three starts 10:00 ends 11:15 sharp
• Time Final Round starts 11:30 ends at 12:45 "OR" if everyone is broke "OR"if players agree to Split
the prize board .
• Payout 50%, 25%, 10%, 5%, 5%, 5% of the prize board. If two players are eliminated from final
table they receive zero, Third player eliminated receives 5% , Fourth player eliminated receives 5%,
• Fifth player eliminated receives 5%, Sixth player eliminated receives 10%, Seventh player eliminated
receives 25%.
• If no players have been eliminated when the bell sounds chip count will determine the 6 winners.
• All chips must remain on the table and not hidden from sight.
• Table Stakes Rules will apply when a player wishes to call a bet and he does not have enough chips to
do so. A second pot will be created call this "Pot B". Example: a player is short three chips (call him
Shorty ). Three chips times the number of live players in the hand are taken from the main pot and put
into Pot B. All players except "Shorty" can continue to play for pot B. When the hand is finished If
Shorty has the highest hand he will win only the main pot. Pot B will be won by the highest hand that
called the last betting round.
• No player can borrow or lend chips.
• No player will be dealt cards if he does not have enough chips to cover the ante He will be considered
bankrupt and must leave the game. He may however play if he has enough money for the ante but is
short for part or all of the blind money. Table Stakes Rules will apply as above.
• If any cards are exposed or Flashed during the deal before the flop - Misdeal is declared. If cards are
Flashed after each player receives his two cards the exposed card or cards are burned and hand will
continue. Deck must remain on the table after the players receive their two cards. One card is burned
after each betting round immediately before the community card is turned up.
• If you are caught bluffing you lose the pot. If you are caught cheating you are buried out back

Comments

• Wow. This is really, really wierd.

From my interpretation, it sounds like a tournament with exactly 4 blind levels, each being 50 minutes in length. At the end of each blind level the Top X people get to continue playing while the rest are eliminated. It also sounds like, if the 4th level concludes, the payouts are based on remaining chipcounts which is all kinds of wrong.

The rules seem really vague also, and I'd be leary about playing. For example, the rules mentioned that from Round 1 to 2, only the top 5 chipcount from each table move on... What do they move on to? Do they remain at their table? Are the tables redrawn.

I'm all for experimenting with new formats, but this one just doesn't seem right. I say you take one for the team and report back on how it turned out, because if nothing else... I'm curious!
  • This is going to be an all-in circus at the end of every round for all the players who are not in the top x players.
  • Sounds like its the first tournament the organizers have run?
  • I'll be honest it sounds like they just cut and pasted this from somewhere else or were just killing time and randomly started typing.
    macbb wrote:
    • If you are caught bluffing you lose the pot. If you are caught cheating you are buried out back

I wish this rule was in the Official Tournament Directors Handbook
  • Did I read right - no bluffing? (at the bottom)