The Monarchy . . .

Do you support Canada's status as a Constitutional Monarchy, or are you a seditious Republican?

I will leave my preference for later, in case my opener leaves any doubt . . . :D

Comments

• I like the romance of the Monarchy. They have no relevence in todays world other than someone for the English to centre their society around. Oh wait perhaps that is relevent. :)
  • I can see how people like the "romance" of it, but don't really care about that myself. We're essentially giving one unelected person power over all the laws passed, but historically that hasn't been an issue as far as I know, though feel free to prove me wrong.

One thing I definitely like about it is the fact that the GG is (or should be) bipartisan. They don't (or shouldn't) have any agenda beyond the betterment of Canada as a whole.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no convincing reason to change the status quo. What we have right now works well enough, and I don't think you'd be able to show me a system that is outright better than Canada's constitutional monarchy.
  • The Queen of Canada is, for all intents and purposes, a figurehead. Her representative in Canada (the GG) is impartial in all aspects of policy. The Queen, and her embodiment of our ideals, stands above the fray of partisan politics, and as such serves as a unifying image for Canadians . . .
    Long may she reign . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    The Queen of Canada is, for all intents and purposes, a figurehead. Her representative in Canada (the GG) is impartial in all aspects of policy. The Queen, and her embodiment of our ideals, stands above the fray of partisan politics, and as such serves as a unifying image for Canadians . . .
    Long may she reign . . .

this seems to be true, although fundamentally is probably not a good thing. but the way it work it probably does help somehow. if the monarcy actually tried to impose anything that matter id expect great civil revolt....

long live the queen...stay outa our sh$T
  • Urm . . . the Queen is Constitutionally prevented from getting into "our sh$t". She does a verrry good job of getting her point across when she visits, mind you. As I said, the Sovereign stands above mere politics. That is the beauty of it . . . "

I quote English Bob, "One isn't that quick to shoot a King or Queen, the majesty of royalty, you see . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    Her representative in Canada (the GG) is impartial in all aspects of policy.

I only added the parentheses because when it comes right down to it, the GG is still human, and COULD THEORETICALLY be swayed by media, politicking or what have you. That's not really in their best interests, though - which is one reason I like the appointment and not a vote, it eliminates the stupidity factor present in the general population.

In theory, it takes power away from the people. In practice, it saves them from themselves.

/I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg, and her mighty state of hysteria...
  • As someone who has taken the Queen's Oath (one of only three in my life), I cannot conceive of a Republic of Canada . . .

God Save the Queen . . .

cuz Charles is a moonbat.