New to BBJ (etiquette question) (repost from 2+2)

I think one of my goals here is going to be to try to make this area of the site a 'must-visit' from people so I will be posting any threads I'd normally put on 2+2 here first to try to build some traffic.

Here's a repost from 2+2. Interested in your thoughts:

I'm playing 10/20 Limit at Brantford, which got a BBJ fairly recently.

I know the 'basic' rules of the Bad Beat (like not talking about it) however this came up and thought I'd ask around here to see what is proper etiquette.

I'm in the SB, and it's folded to me, I always chop so.. I offer the chop. Guy in the BB agrees to chop.

I show him my 'JJ' and he shows me his 'AA'.

He then said that I should have let him know I had a potential qualifying hand and we could have just call/checked it down.

Is this typical? Did I screw up by offering the chop as I always do?

I'd like hear about other experiences regarding that type of situation since it's something I'm not familiar with.

Comments

• zunni74 wrote: »

I'm in the SB, and it's folded to me, I always chop so.. I offer the chop. Guy in the BB agrees to chop.

I show him my 'JJ' and he shows me his 'AA'.

He then said that I should have let him know I had a potential qualifying hand and we could have just call/checked it down.

That would be collusion.

I always offer to chop when folded to my SB and will always chop my BB when offered. No need in feeding the rake monster for the 1-in-a-gazzilion chance.
  • depends on the rake really.

I never play 10-20 so I have no idea what thats like, but in 2/4, 4/8, and 1/2 NL they don't rake a pot under $10.

You could say something like "My hand is a potato!" and call, then check blind. He'd get the idea.
  • We've had bad beat pots in Alberta for as long as I can remember. I know when I first started, was playing primarily 4/8 limit (limit being the only game available at the time), would always chop, providing other blind was agreeable. I have seen guys say 'I have a bad bead hand', and then limp in the SB.....problem with this, at least in Alberta, it would be strued as collusion, and the bad beat possibly not given out if the dealer reports this.....as I know the dealers used to warn the players about it.

I think you're better off chopping in the long run. Remember, if the BBJ minimum qualifier is the same as here, or similar....AAAJJ+ beaten, any two cards can be a bad beat hand in theory. So if you do it once, you should always do it.

Bottom line for me, don't ever play anything differently because of the BBJ, it will just cost you money over the long term.
  • Well said T8
  • I'd prefer to take a BBBJ
  • as a few of you know i am a dealer and we have a BBJ what i've seen happening (and i'm not sure if it is technically ok or not) is that if it comes down to the blinds option the sb turns to the bb and says "wanna play it out?"

the other option was mentioned earlier.... some ppl that always chop will always chop... doesn't matter one way or the other to them....

the play it out option is usually only used when the BBJ is fairly high
  • I would say it's collusion but the table won't say anything cause they share in the BBJ.
  • I thought that the proper etiquette was to not look at your cards before offering and/or accepting a chop... that is, neither blind should look at the cards before agreement on the chop is made.