Nikon D3100 opinions?

I'm in the market for a new camera and was wondering if anyone has this particular camera? I was looking at the Cannon T1i and the T2i but those two are sold out at Best Buy.
I want something a little more than a point and click but I'm also an amateur when it comes to anything bigger.

Comments

• Nope. Just bought the wife a Fuji Finepix HS10 for Christmas.

She bought it because of the low-light photo option. She takes a lot of pix in a theatre environment.

This is her second Fuji, and she loves the brand.
  • Haven't checked out all of them Ed. The Cannon is $899.00 I saw the commercial were they shot it with the video part on the thing.

Olympus has one too. They all look pretty good but ultimately you have to decide if you want to spend that type of money, and how much use will you get out of it.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    and how much use will you get out of it.

I am definitely the picture taker of the the immediate and extended family. I also love shooting small video clips of anywhere from 1-5 minutes. So, yeah, the camera will get a lot of use.
  • Just bought a t2i myself.
    vistek.crap

but I believe Henry's or Black's had them on sale too.

I always use Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ before making any buy decisions. The t2i is only 8 months old and shoots full 1080p video as well.
  • moose wrote: »

The canon looks like a great camera. beats the crap out of my $150 kodak easy share for sure.
  • Have a T1 and love it.
    Just bought a t2i myself.
    vistek.crap

but I believe Henry's or Black's had them on sale too.

I always use Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ before making any buy decisions. The t2i is only 8 months old and shoots full 1080p video as well.

Btw vistek.crap cancelled my Boxing day order. This is what I sent them.

I ordered from another retailer but I doubt they have any stock. We'll see what happens.
    To our Valued Customer,
    We regret to inform you that Vistek received an unprecedented response to our Boxing Day Blow-out sale for the T2i kit T2i w/18-55 IS & 55-255 IS Lens ( Web Code 251737). This particular offer was a "Door Crasher" sale with limited quantities on a first come first serve basis and we are now completely SOLD OUT and there is no additional stock available to supply the demand we have received. ,

Your order has been cancelled and no charges have been applied to your method of payment.

Customer service is our number one priority at Vistek. We realize that this has caused an inconvenience to you and offer our most heart-felt apology.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

My confirmation email came at 12:05 am Dec. 26. So you are telling me that the stock sold out online in under 5 minutes and it took you almost 4 days to let me know. I could have driven down to one of your stores on Boxing day or I guess what you were really trying to prevent - I could have gone to one of your competitors. Now most places are out of stock so congratulations on ensuring, not only will I be without this camera but I wouldn't recommend your store to anyone. In fact I will be happy to tell everyone I know about your poor customer service. If you truly were concerned about making customer service a priority perhaps you could have offered a gift card towards a future purchase but instead you offer only the proverbial lump of coal. Thank you for one of the worst customer experiences ever.
  • Pawn shops seem to have a lot of lenses for the Canons...fwiw.
  • more than a point and click.....

Canon G12. Looks like a point and click but takes amazing pictures. fully auto if you want it to be which is awesome in many situations.

best stealth camera out there.

if you are looking at the entry level SLR's then either the canon or the nikon are good. The canon is the easiest to use, the Nikons shoot sharper pictures. go into a store and use both. which ever seems to work better for you is the one you should pick. Sounds like a simple piece of advice but i have a pro photographer in the family and this is really all there is to it. which ever one you think is better is better......for you.

but seriously look at the G12.
  • I have a simple Kodak Easy share. Cost us like $150.00 and they gave us 2 memory cards. Camera takes amazing pics but the video quality is plain and simple, AWFUL. if i were to purchase the canon it would be for the quality video it shoots. Like the walking boss says, She has to justify the price. :-\

I'd just go and buy it but I still have to come home .lol And I like the fact that at most times our abode is a peaceful quiet place.

Best advice I can give is to see if you can try out several cameras and choose the one you are most comfy with both in price and how easy it is to operate.
    Btw vistek.crap cancelled my Boxing day order.

I ordered from another retailer but I doubt they have any stock. We'll see what happens.

Woot! After the longest wait evar, I got this email today!

Your package will be shipped by PayPal Shipping with Canada Post.
    Merkle Camera used PayPal Shipping with Canada Post to create a shipping label for your package. Once the package is given to the local post office, it will be on its way to you.
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a new camera and was wondering if anyone has this particular camera? I was looking at the Cannon T1i and the T2i but those two are sold out at Best Buy.
    I want something a little more than a point and click but I'm also an amateur when it comes to anything bigger.

I bought the T1i just before xmas and i love it. Its a great camera and its been relatively easy to use. Its definately enough camera for someone with little dslr experience to grow into. IF icould have a mulligan now it would have been to get the T2i and only for its capability to plug in external mics for video. i shoot way more hd video with this camera and edit them on my mac than i do take regular pictures.
    what did you end up getting?
  • It's a T2i. Looking forward to using the video as well.
  • the only thing i can say about shooting video is that if your going to use the audio that gets captured along with the video, that you use MF as opposed to AF. The mic on the body of the camera picks up the sound as it struggles to keep up with various depths of field and moving objects and you wont notice it till playback. It takes some getting used to the MF but its worth it.
    It's a T2i. Looking forward to using the video as well.

here is some of the ridiculousness ive captured with it...it should be noted that not only was the camera a recent pick up, but so too was the imac. Anyhow, both seem to have enough capability for me to be happy for some time.
  • Of course they deliver it just as the T3i is announced...Canon EOS 600D Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

My strong suggestion is to look on the site Photography community, including forums, reviews, and galleries from Photo.net for info on photography.

The latest photo news gadget news is on Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ
  • If you're a Canon user, check out Photography on the Net
  • I was certain they were bringing in a new model because the T2i was heavily discounted over Christmas - a sure sign.

movowelling - there were no links in your post? Were you posting a video or something?
  • what did you end up getting?

nothing because everything I looked at on the Bestbuy web site was sold out both online and in store :-( The prices were definitely amazing but now have obviously climbed back up. Will wait for another sail and funds are tight at the moment. Sounds like the Canon is a winner though. Have fun with it.
    I was certain they were bringing in a new model because the T2i was heavily discounted over Christmas - a sure sign.

movowelling - there were no links in your post? Were you posting a video or something?

yeah sorry.
    i posted a link of my youtube video but it was giant on here. If you go to youtube type in their search field: movowels
    'dinner at the macs' is with the t1i and so is 'building it.' Building it was my first with the camera and i uploaded sans hd (but filmed it in hd)
  • I really like this article .... Digital Photography Basics: learn how to build a digital SLR system - photo.net

The camera bodies that it talks about are out of date, but the concepts that you should be thinking about are gold.
  • I just bit the bullet and bought the Canon Rebel T3i. Rarely do I ever splurge on items this pricey but I felt it was time to take a leap forward. I take a lot of pictures and just want top notch quality out of them from now on. Battery is charging now, will read through the manual and snap away tomorrow