Is Age a Factor?

just asking to see if anyone thinks age determines how good a player is? im 22 and consider myself a good player, but that remains to be seen. the 1k tourney at fallsview is gonna be my first major one. i tend to see a lot older players in cash games than me so im wondering how many ppl here fall into the "experienced" categoryl

Comments

• just wondering the age factor of cpp and talent level. i see that wetts, ryan g, blondefish all do well in tourneys and wanted to know if age had anything to do with it. i've only been playing for 3 years now.
  • plus old people tend to die more frequently than younger ones

and

mummies are real old

true dat
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    plus old people tend to die more frequently than younger ones
    Hey, I take offence at that!
  • GTA is wrong . . . people, young or old, only die when their heart stops pumping oxygenated blood to their brains. Age is not relevant.
  • only the young die young
  • darbday wrote: »
    only the young die young

Good...I think! Oh wait!
  • George Burns revealed the secret of living to be 100 yrs old:

First you have to live to be 90. Be cause not many people die above the age of 90.
  • Actually younger players tend to be better than old players for two reasons - online play and hunger.
  • rapz4lyfe wrote: »
    i see that wetts, ryan g, blondefish all do well in tourneys and wanted to know if age had anything to do with it.
    None of us are in our early twenties, the age group that has taken over the high stakes NLHE tournaments such as the WSOP Main Event. You can be a winner as long as your poker skills are better than those you play against, even if all the players in your table are 20-somethings and you are a senior citizen.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    None of us are in our early twenties, the age group that has taken over the high stakes NLHE tournaments such as the WSOP Main Event. You can be a winner as long as your poker skills are better than those you play against, even if all the players in your table are 20-somethings and you are a senior citizen.

the one that will take over now are 18-20 living with their parents taking 2 college courses. their parents put up with them not working cause they never seem to ask for money. by the time the parents are ready to kick them out they'll be playing in the nosebleeds.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    ^^^^ This....
    darbday wrote: »
    the one that will take over now are 18-20 living with their parents taking 2 college courses. their parents put up with them not working cause they never seem to ask for money. by the time the parents are ready to kick them out they'll be playing in the nosebleeds.

You don't really believe this do you? Some, but it's a small number...
  • compuease wrote: »
    You don't really believe this do you? Some, but it's a small number...

yes. however there's another side to it.

About age...

It was widely believe not too long ago that as we grew older our brains lost their neuroplasticity-their ability to adapt and grow. Around 25 they believed the brain cells started to degenerate and die. 'They' meaning more western type science, but eastern medicine or philosophy has always believe that's not true.

since beginning to bridge the two, we developed neuroplasticity (im noticing the word is not yet in this sites spell check) and ways to harness it. Learning was found to increase not just knowledge but the brains ability to retain the knowledge without as much restriction due to age as previously thought.

Doyle prob has said its just the same game as before, but no doubt you can teach that old dog new tricks. He has adapted to the game and no doubt has an uncanny ability to learn

I was thinking about it last night, no doubt some of the people on this site, whos peers never had computers growing up, are ahead of their poker peers who did not take the time to learn to use a forum. It shows something i think.

That being said the general field is extremely poker savvy. Many micro stakes players are adept in, pot odds, bluff outs, small ball, Non ex shoves, equilibrium vs exploitative play, balancing ranges, turn hands into bluff, overbets, game theory and so on. These players are generally just kids 18-23

....it will still take them a couple years to hit the high stakes....maybe just one year...:p
    These players are generally just kids 18-23

....it will still take them a couple years to hit the high stakes....maybe just one year...:p
    Trouble is, the vast majority of them go broke. Only a few fast swimmers make it...
    Older players tend to already be established and are playing with earned and "discretionary" funds so really aren't playing with scared money...

Now there are exceptions to both but you get the idea... and this is live not online I am referring to..
  • Bottom line...put in the time and your results will show....people think that age has a lot to do with it because they see a lot of young kids dominating poker. I think that as you get older your priorities change and that is why the "older" set seem to drift away. I know when I was a little younger I played a higher volume. Now I take stabs here and there.

I still keep up with the latest poker news but don't put in the volume I used to at the tables, but when I do I still hang with the best of the them when I am at a certain table.

Given any table stakes and adequate bankroll, I don't fear any game.
    and this is live not online I am referring to..

and there goes any scope i may have had, as i have no live experience.
    and there goes any scope i may have had, as i have no live experience.

And I don't have the time nor the inclination to put in the hours online. I prefer to look em in the eye... :)
    And I don't have the time nor the inclination to put in the hours online. I prefer to look em in the sunglasses... :)
    :)
  • Meistro wrote: »
    Actually younger players tend to be better than old players for two reasons - online play and hunger.

I play on-line and, though I am not hungry right now, I will be in a few hours . . . I should be great !!!
  • rapz4lyfe wrote: »
    just asking to see if anyone thinks age determines how good a player is? im 22 and consider myself a good player, but that remains to be seen. the 1k tourney at fallsview is gonna be my first major one. i tend to see a lot older players in cash games than me so im wondering how many ppl here fall into the "experienced" categoryl

No, age has little to do with how good at poker you are.

I've seen college kids who have just finished watching high stakes poker for the first time and blow through $500 playing 5/10 limit poker. (which is actually quite difficult to do)

I've also seen retirees who have played the game for years but have spent no time improving their game so they do the same thing.

Difference is.... the older folks are generally playing for fun using income they can afford to lose and so come back without improving. The younger folks generally go broke and either figure out that they have something to learn or stop playing and stick to games they are good at, like craps.

The older folks also tend to handle bad beats better because they have seen it before and they have a maturity level that allows them to absorb it. The young players tend to lose their minds much easier.

By the way, if you want to know 'how good you are' start posting hands here, look and learn from the feedback (learning which feedback to ignore is a part of the learning process).
  • zunni74 wrote: »

I've seen college kids who have just finished watching high stakes poker for the first time and blow through $500 playing 5/10 limit poker. (which is actually quite difficult to do)

Not all that difficult. I've had swings of -400 to +700 playing 5/10 limit. I've learned though that when you have manics at your table you are in for a loooong night of bingo.

btw, moose and I were at Brantford and one young guy burned through $1200 and said it just wasn't his night. It apparently is never his night there cause as soon as moose saw him at my table, he asked to be moved there. :)
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Not all that difficult. I've had swings of -400 to +700 playing 5/10 limit. I've learned though that when you have manics at your table you are in for a loooong night of bingo.

btw, moose and I were at Brantford and one young guy burned through $1200 and said it just wasn't his night. It apparently is never his night there cause as soon as moose saw him at my table, he asked to be moved there. :)

Holy crap.. I don't know how that's possible unless you are playing like 20 hour sessions or are really laggy..