What Is Intelligence

The idea was tossed out in another thread. I think it's a great idea to see what people believe it is.

Ready, set, GO!

Comments

• I believe intelligence is found more so in the question and not so much in the answer....

and that because of preconceived notions and prejudices i think its helpful to define what is 'unintellegince'
  • So tempted to say ^^^^, but that would be mean . . .

Intelligence comprises our thoughts, ability to communicate, understanding, our ability to reason, to learn, plan, and problem solve. Probably a few other things, too, but I am not that smart.
  • Milo wrote: »
    So tempted to say ^^^^, but that would be mean . . .

great post.....here's why:

if you were correct, that would likely suggest intelligence on your part, or maybe just not unintelligence.....

but if you were wrong, you would be unintelligent (perhaps) and the above person (assuming we're talking about me) would be intelligent.....and of course being unintelligent you wouldn't know that's the truth....

this suggests, since an unintelligent person doesn't know they are in that bubble, and an intelligent person does....the intelligent person is compelled to skepticism of their own beliefs...

all this .....unless of course you 'know' you are intelligent and that indirectly points to the original question put in a different way, what makes you know your smart.....?

this isn't pointed at anyone, just used milo's post as an example.
    but I am not that smart.

maybe not, but this thread is about intelligence....and you surely have shown much of that.....
  • darbday wrote: »
    maybe not, but this thread is about intelligence....and you surely have shown much of that.....

This just proves your lack of same . . .

NEXT !!!
  • Here is another incredibly ignorant post by Yours truly.:)

Overall intelligence is knowing right from wrong and the ability to tell the 2 apart. And like Milo said earlier.

A person can spend 4,5,6 or 7 years in University and be brilliant or very intelligent in their career. They can also be extremely stupid in all other aspects of life.
    Meaning you can be smart and know your job, but can be an absolute retard at everything else.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »

Overall intelligence is knowing right from wrong and the ability to tell the 2 apart.
    i may agree here however this does not get us any closer to the point unless of course we start a new thread called what is right and what is wrong....because to recognize intelligence we would first have to have someone of intelligence define right and wrong (and we couldn't know if they were intelligent since we hadn't defined it yet)...
    HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    A person can spend 4,5,6 or 7 years in University and be brilliant or very intelligent in their career. They can also be extremely stupid in all other aspects of life.
    Meaning you can be smart and know your job, but can be an absolute retard at everything else.

We might expect then, that this person is not actually intelligent.....?
  • You all have a lack of unintelligence. But I really can't tell if your right or wrong...
  • I am just a poster of ignorant posts so what do I know ?
    i may agree here however this does not get us any closer to the point unless of course we start a new thread called what is right and what is wrong....because to recognize intelligence we would first have to have someone of intelligence define right and wrong (and we couldn't know if they were intelligent since we hadn't defined it yet)...

We might expect then, that this person is not actually intelligent.....?

I see pretty circles . . . in sparkly colours . . . it's a DOUBLE RAINBOW.
    I see pretty circles . . . in sparkly colours . . . it's a DOUBLE RAINBOW.

the next thread will be how do we get out of theses circles....the one after that will be is it even possible to get out of them
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    The idea was tossed out in another thread. I think it's a great idea to see what people believe it is.

Ready, set, GO!

you must post yours sir ^-^
  • intelligence is never starting with a conclusion
  • Intelligence is never spending too much time on a poker forum... oops, mod looks in mirror...
  • I was teasing my cat with her cat toy, (mouse on a string) allways just pulling it out of reach before she could catch it. She finally caught it and ran off to the corner and hid it.
    I thought that was pretty intellegent.
  • syphilaids wrote: »
    I was teasing my cat with her cat toy, (mouse on a string) allways just pulling it out of reach before she could catch it. She finally caught it and ran off to the corner and hid it.
    I thought that was pretty intellegent.

i like it....now please relate to intelligent humans....
  • Hey, I just start conversations, I don't actually participate in them. I show my intelligence by sticking to the motto "Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." I think it was Kermit the Frog that said it.

In all seriousness, I find that intelligence is the ability to use life experiences of both yourself and others to make informed decisions about your own life. I believe that those with a high level of intelligence learn from the mistakes of others in order to make less of their own and share their own mistakes with others so they will make less of their own.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Hey, I just start conversations, I don't actually participate in them. I show my intelligence by sticking to the motto "Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." I think it was Kermit the Frog that said it.

In all seriousness, I find that intelligence is the ability to use life experiences of both yourself and others to make informed decisions about your own life. I believe that those with a high level of intelligence learn from the mistakes of others in order to make less of their own and share their own mistakes with others so they will make less of their own.

the ability to learn and teach....the difference between man and machine....for now...
    i like it....now please relate to intelligent humans....

Well, Syph's cat is smarter than him, or it never would have got the toy . . .
  • milo wrote: »
    well, syph's cat is smarter than him, or it never would have got the toy . . .

bazinga!
  • My answer: Intelligence is the ability to apply knowledge and skills in a beneficial or productive way.
  • But, what about the League of Evil Geniuses?
  • iNano78 wrote: »
    My answer: Intelligence is the ability to apply knowledge and skills in a beneficial or productive way.

aww man, now we gotta have a thread for what is beneficial....
    aww man, now we gotta have a thread for what is beneficial....

Reductio ad absurdum . . .

\thread. You're welcome
    Reductio ad absurdum . . .

\thread. You're welcome

i also believe intelligence is inversely proportional to violent behavior
  • Now, why would you think that? Some of the most intelligent people on the planet have been involved in some of it's most violent discoveries/acts.
    Now, why would you think that? Some of the most intelligent people on the planet have been involved in some of it's most violent discoveries/acts.

ready....

set...

name a couple....
  • Oppenheimer, for one.

Norden, he's the guy that developed a more accurate bomb site just prior to WW2.

Both guys were geniuses, yet their work led to unimaginable violence and destruction.
    But, what about the League of Evil Geniuses?
    MILO?
    You mean the people who get caught. :-X
  • How about Adolf Hitler and Ghengis Khan? I believe were both considered very intelligent... lol at intelligence precluding violence or being mutually exclusive.