Ok, can anyone explain how this works...?

I was totally amazed when my 10 yr old grandaughter did..

This will drive you up a wall!!

http://www.quizyourprofile.com/guessyournumber.swf

and please don't ask me how this works because I really don't know.

Comments

• meh, it uses the colored numbers and puts one of each colour into each house. Add in a couple of decoy steps and you have a miracle...unless I'm missing something
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    meh, it uses the colored numbers and puts one of each colour into each house. Add in a couple of decoy steps and you have a miracle...unless I'm missing something

nope, you're right, but a 10 year old? At 10 I was still learning to count to 10..

lol, this was my decoy..
    compuease wrote: »
    and please don't ask me how this works because I really don't know.
  • Aha, didn't realize a 10 year old did that lol, that's pretty good :P
  • It points out what I perceive as being a huge jump in learning skills (at least compared to when my kids were the same age) of the current crop of 3-10 yr olds. It's not just my grandkids either, their friends all seem equally as sharp... Does anyone else notice the difference from the same age kids, even 10 years ago? Is there something new in the water? I'm serious about this, kids seem to have much improved cognitive skills at much earlier ages.
    Perhaps it's computers and the internet but I'm not so sure.
  • Very similar to certain "magic" or "psychic" tricks I have seen, both live and on-line. Is your grandchild at all interested in magic? Might explain it.
  • ya it is the computer. i thought i remember you had a computer degree and programming knowledge but maybe im confused-thats why i laughed. At 10 that is impressive but its a basic three part algorithm. They put some fake steps in to confuse. The way i think the computer helps kids is because they can do their own learn and therefore enjoy it more, and do it when they are in the mood. Lastly they can answer any question they have where teachers and parents can't always. I believe this trend is exponential...accelerated.....

and that Richard is prob a product of this assuming hes a few years younger.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Very similar to certain "magic" or "psychic" tricks I have seen, both live and on-line. Is your grandchild at all interested in magic? Might explain it.

Not particularily, but when her dad was looking at it, she looked over his shoulder as he was trying to see where the trick was and she spotted it within seconds... just as Richard said. I'm going to try it on my 7 and 6 year old grandsons tomorrow just to see... Their Dad's probably still won't be able to figure it out... :)
  • I probably shouldn't comment, I was doing algebra at 11 and calculus at 13 ^^' [/brag]

You're probably right though, through multimedia kids are exposed to all kinds of things and there's a lot of subconscious learning going on whether it's from video games or reading blogs. Not to mention that you're practically competing with the world if you're too exposed, I know that's what it felt like for me lol

It's probably not gonna slow down for the next generation either
  • darbday wrote: »
    ya it is the computer. i thought i remember you had a computer degree and programming knowledge but maybe im confused-thats why i laughed. At 10 that is impressive but its a basic three part algorithm. They put some fake steps in to confuse. The way i think the computer helps kids is because they can do their own learn and therefore enjoy it more, and do it when they are in the mood. Lastly they can answer any question they have where teachers and parents can't always. I believe this trend is exponential...accelerated.....

and that Richard is prob a product of this assuming hes a few years younger.

Well I don't have a degree, (My education was before degrees were invented).. but my logic skills are probably quite advanced.. I understand the logic to solving this (perhaps you missed that), it was just my amazement at how young people have those cognitive skills so well developed at an early age..

And by the way, she didn't even consider the fake steps.. It was just as if they weren't there... I at least had to consciously disregard them. :)
  • compuease wrote: »
    it was just my amazement at how young people have those cognitive skills so well developed at an early age..

Have you played some of the videogames they make nowadays? ^^'
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    Have you played some of the videogames they make nowadays? ^^'

She doesn't really play video games, cept perhaps the Wii but the 6 and 7 yr old grandsons are almost fanatical at them. One of their dads was an avid gamer, and still does some. He travelled around the US to gaming "get togethers in the 90's... Will be interesting to see how they do at this. I'm going to find some more as a test.

As far as myself, I did play some with my kids when they we're growing up, but that was eons ago.. The same son that became an avid gamer ran his own BBS when he was about 11-12 on a old data coupler modem to start...
    This would be circa mid 80's.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Very similar to certain "magic" or "psychic" tricks I have seen, both live and on-line. Is your grandchild at all interested in magic? Might explain it.

actually to think about it i learned this solution from a card trick when I was kid..