Ufc 131 . . .

. . . will be held at the Rogers Centre in Toronto on 30 April, 2011.

My money is on GSP vs. Jake Shields in the Main Event.

Comments

• Don't know about GSP that'll only be a 4 month turnover since his last fight. He never fights that often. Nonetheless good for T.O
  • 15 weeks is right in the ballpark for GSP, based on previous interviews. The major issue will be any possible medical suspension resulting from this weekends bout with Koschek.

What do you think of this card?

GSP v. Shields WW title fight
    Cain v. JDS HW title fight
    W. Silva v. Leben MW fight

add a couple Canadian fighters like Sam Stout and Rory MacDonald to the mix and this could be a real stacked event.
  • I don't think they're going to put their biggest money maker (GSP) and the Heavyweight title fight on the same card. Too easy for them to make more money splitting them up and filling out the card with other random fights.
  • They've had cards with two title fights before in the UFC. White is on record as saying that the first event in Toronto is going to set a new standard in attendance, gate, and PPV buys. The other option would be a Jose Aldo title defence, as he will have rehabbed his injury by then. There is also going to be a Fan expo that weekend. This will be a huge event for T.O. and the UFC. I am guessing 30k+ for the fights, and 100k when you include the Expo. Either that, or the UFC goes total greed-fest, and we are looking at over 60k when they open the 500 level seats so I can watch it in HD on the Jumbotron (do they still call it that?).
  • could also be the return of chael. theres been a big beef between wandy and chael going on the last little while (hes eligable to fight in february)
  • Did you see the vid-clip of the 2 of them in Texas? Wandi is AWESOME.
  • Had floor seats for one of the wrestlemanias and the sightlines are just terrible. They better not try to pack the whole dome.
  • Never said it would be a good idea, merely that they might do it. 200 level seating might be the best. I figure they'll centre the Octagon just inside 2nd base, or maybe on it, to maximize the number of bowl seats they can accomadate.
  • Not saying that they would not put two title fights on the same card, but the heavyweight division is a big enough draw on its own that they tend to put it on its own card. Same goes for any GSP fight.
  • Jake Shields...meh
  • they dont call him jake "pillow hands" shields for no reason!

if GSP comes out of the KOS fight unscaved he will fight in TO. more reason for him to finish it early :)
  • agree with cerb about the HWs, that is why I suggested an Aldo defense, instead. Throw in a (possible) Lesnar comeback bout against, say, Big Nog or even Roy "Big Belly" Nelson, and the card is HUGE.
  • But Nelson is trying to get into WWE :)
  • As what? A transport driver?
  • Nope, he had his people (see: Burger King co-workers with long distance plans on their cell phones) to contact anyone in and around WWE they could about him. Yeah, good luck with that one!