Cash game choice - rake vs action?

I have two cash games that I usually play at these days. Wondering if most players would prefer the deeper action packed 2/5 game given the additional rake at this game. Is this game stiil more profitable in the long run given the higher rake vs the 1/2 low rake game? Assume both games have the same level of profitability with obviously more variance at the 2/5 game.

Choice A - 2/5 game (max $500) at underground club - unlimited players (always a waiting list) with $15 max rake (10%) and $1 per hand jackpot rake. Most players buyin $400-$500 and there is constant action with at least one cannon at the table at any given time. Most players will rebuy if they bust. Players tend to be TAG and there are usually a couple decent players at the table most nights.

Choice B - 1/2 game (max $300) with $2 max rake and no jackpot. Limited players (usually 8 players on average) and most players buy in around $150-$200. Game is hit and miss with short table on some nights. Much less aggressive and lot weak tigher players on average. A lot of players only buy-in once if they bust.

Other - 1/2 is usually self deal vs professional dealer at 2/5 game so lot more hands per hour.

Comments

• Home game with a rake?
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Home game with a rake?

'home' game not home game. OP changed accordingly.
  • Seems to me that, if your ROI% is identical in both games, you should be playing higher to maximize your $$$. The higher rake should not make that much of a difference.

But, what the hell do I know? I would not sit down at a 2/5 game, PERIOD.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    'home' game not home game.

Think he means normal players, as opposed to Wetts. :D
  • Milo wrote: »
    Seems to me that, if your ROI% is identical in both games, you should be playing higher to maximize your $$$. The higher rake should not make that much of a difference.

ROI is probably higher in the 1/2 game because buy-in is obviously lower and more donkey factor in 2/5 game (calling a blind player for full stack w blind player hitting board hard... you know the type). I think rake is always a consideration when that much is coming off the table in any given session.
  • ROI is irrelevant here (unless bankroll management factors in).

Calculate your hourly rate at each (after playing each for a while). That's all that matters. If you're averaging 5xBB/hour ($25/hour) at the $2/$5 despite it's rake, and 9xBB/hour ($18/hour) at $1/$2, then clearly $2/$5 is where it's at. But if you only only have < 10 buy-ins available at $2/$5, then you're probably playing too high for your bankroll and should stick with the $1/$2 until you can be sure that downswings at $2/$5 aren't going to break you.

My 2¢.
  • Nano said it better than I did, but we were going after the same idea . . .
    and I do not think bankroll issues are a factor in this instance.