Cool Android Apps and Features?

I just switched to Wind and picked-up an Android phone -- can anyone recommend any useful apps that they like?

Comments

• Rush Poker Mobile - enough alone to make me want to get a second phone/switch away from my Blackberry
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Rush Poker Mobile - enough alone to make me want to get a second phone/switch away from my Blackberry

Oh my...just released yesterday
  • I have a few friends with droids, and we use the "tikl" feature...walkie talkie like application. It's pretty sweet. Doesn't use airtime, and doesn't seem to show data usage..
    I also use the quicktask killer when I am out and about a lot to save some battery usage...I have read mixed things on this, but there are a lot of applications running in the background that I don't use, nor will use, that day, so I find battery consumption is less.

I use the interactive flight chart for disc golf, as well as the easy score keeper..Maps with the gps is pretty good for being lost in the city..Backgammon is a good boredom killer when there is no service..Chess.com though I recommend staying away from...hard to do any analysis on the small screen i find. I use the tide application for diving...

Damn, there are just too many...lol

Loving the 'droid.
  • DennisG wrote: »
    I have a few friends with droids, and we use the "tikl" feature...walkie talkie like application. It's pretty sweet. Doesn't use airtime, and doesn't seem to show data usage..
    I also use the quicktask killer when I am out and about a lot to save some battery usage...I have read mixed things on this, but there are a lot of applications running in the background that I don't use, nor will use, that day, so I find battery consumption is less.

I use the interactive flight chart for disc golf, as well as the easy score keeper..Maps with the gps is pretty good for being lost in the city..Backgammon is a good boredom killer when there is no service..Chess.com though I recommend staying away from...hard to do any analysis on the small screen i find. I use the tide application for diving...

Damn, there are just too many...lol

Loving the 'droid.

I've only had the phone a couple of days (it's a lower end droid from what I understand but has 2.1 and I don't see any issues with it) and have noticed how much the battery drains when downloading apps, etc. Other than that I really like it, although I'm not really a "phone guy" there are some cool apps that I hadn't even though of -- Google Sky (I think it's called) is quite cool.

Beat -- now have to buy one for my gf.

Also, could not find Rush Poker in the apps store -- do I have to look elsewhere for this? I did see it listed on the appbrain website with <50 d/l as of yesterday.
  • I looked in the market this morning (after reading this) and downloaded it there for free..no problems. I just did a search for rush poker..
  • Still not showing up in the market for me??
  • Maybe it's only available for 2.2?? I would trade Rush for 2.1 though, not happy with some of the changes they made...probably just because I only just learned how to use some features and then they changed them up...lol
  • DennisG wrote: »
    Maybe it's only available for 2.2?? I would trade Rush for 2.1 though, not happy with some of the changes they made...probably just because I only just learned how to use some features and then they changed them up...lol

That's what I was thinking
  • What app killer do you use? Battery life seems to be a bit of an issue. Do you use any other battery extending apps?
  • without going to go find what the kidlet did with my phone, I think it is just quicktask killer? I have found I get decent (up to a full day) life on batteries if I use it...but when the browser and other such stuff is going in the background...it eats quick..
  • I d/l juice defender...seems to help
  • These things are designed to multitask, and they do it well. If one were using the open applications consistently, it is definitely better to keep them going in the background..but, there are so many that I rarely use, it certainly makes a difference to mine. Especially around here, when I am in and out of service all the time, it seems to work harder looking for service for applications than anything..
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Rush Poker Mobile - enough alone to make me want to get a second phone/switch away from my Blackberry

Yup. Might just look at the Samsung Galaxy.

Bell Samsung Galaxy Tab - Available on Select Month-to-Month Plan : Tablets - Future Shop
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Yup. Might just look at the Samsung Galaxy.

not worth waiting to see the Blackberry Playbook?

BlackBerry - PlayBook Tablet PC - BlackBerry PlayBook Specs Pricing and More at BlackBerry.com
  • If the BB Torch had flash this would be such an easy choice.

Need the blackberry functionality for work but want the Droid functionality for everthing else.....like Rush mobile....