RC X location and date.....?

Ok, it's never too early to start planning the next one.
Any suggestions as to location? Who wants in? How many teams?

April 9, 16, 30, May 7, 14 as possiblilities? Anyone see any reason to stroke any of these off the list.

Comments

• I have no opinion on the date, any Saturday this far in advance is open.

Cap the number of teams at 8. Lord knows there was enough trouble for the Captains to get 8 teams worth of players together, let alone 9 or 10 teams. 8 players at a table is crowded enough as it is.

I think the venue we used yesterday worked VERY well for everybody. I have no qualms about making this the venue for all Royals, especially if it's only 8 teams.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    I have no opinion on the date, any Saturday this far in advance is open.

Cap the number of teams at 8. Lord knows there was enough trouble for the Captains to get 8 teams worth of players together, let alone 9 or 10 teams. 8 players at a table is crowded enough as it is.

I think the venue we used yesterday worked VERY well for everybody. I have no qualms about making this the venue for all Royals, especially if it's only 8 teams.

As long as the next one takes place when the weather starts to get warm.

That place was an icebox imo.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    As long as the next one takes place when the weather starts to get warm.

That place was an icebox imo.

True, but I think that was because the door was open all day. I imagine in the spring it will be quite warm in there.

Other reason why I like the Milton venue:

-BYOB! So much cheaper (HBK went through 3 cases of beer!)
    -Central for all teams. Nobody had a really long drive
    -Lots of close places to get food (yes most venues would have this)
    -Access to the venue the night before to set up, and we don't have a curfew to be out by
    -I like the fact it wasn't in a downtown urban city.
    -No parking garages that close and lock in our cars after 11pm
    -Free parking
  • I think that was a great location. 1 problem is Bathrooms other than that,
    NP.:)
  • Other than April being a crapshoot for me personally (not sure when I have to move the kids back home) any of those dates are great.

Keep it at 8 teams
  • I also think the location was a good one. While I did feel it was very small, it wasn't to the point of being too small.
    I think 8 teams of 8 is the perfect size.
    Any of those dates would probably be fine, I think that as much advanced notice as possible of a firm date is very helpful for people with busy schedules.
  • Location is fine although not really central for me myself and screenman, but still not a bad drive (especially if you use 407). I like that venue although the washroom situation isn't the best especially for those who have a few pints.

Right now I can't comment on any date this far in advance, however I had previous experience with the venue so I felt that I dressed appropriately and felt very comfy, I know Kristy was cold and apparently Wetts felt the same way.

More than 8 teams in there would never work. Felt it was run extremely well and I might have avoided booking a room if I knew it would be that smooth. Mind you when I did leave I was tired and it was pretty foggy so it was probably best I left this morning.

I say pick a date so I can mark it down, and try and work with it.
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    I like that venue although the washroom situation isn't the best especially for those who have a few pints.
    Maybe we could make it mandatory to sit? :)
  • Who are all these sissies complaining of the cold? I was almost going to join Mark in stripping down due to the warmth of so many bodies . . .

Bathroom facilities aside (and there were plenty of stalls available off site for those wishing a little more class in thier powder rooms), the venue is fine for all reasons listed previous. Wonder if we could not use another area off the main room for the "stats desk" to free up some more space. Not sure it would be possible. Definitely cap the teams at 8 if we stay put, though . . .

For the next one, I will provide a more usable "screen" to display the stats on. I can bring something from work that will be one solid piece, easy to mount/remove. Make things easier all around.
  • compuease wrote: »
    April 9, 16, 30, May 7, 14 as possiblilities? Anyone see any reason to stroke any of these off the list.

I notice that you didn't suggest April 2. Friday April 1st is the Blue Jays Home Opener. (No joke :P )
    I think it would be cool to have 2 CPF events back to back, although that could be too much commitment for some people.
    I notice that you didn't suggest April 2. Friday April 1st is the Blue Jays Home Opener. (No joke :P )
    I think it would be cool to have 2 CPF events back to back, although that could be too much commitment for some people.

Well I must admit I wasn't even thinking of that, really just trying to fit it in when the weather starts getting better but before holiday/WSOP season and avoiding holidays, ie Easter.
  • I think if you were to move the couch and chair along with the small table and set up the screen and stuff in that room to the right of the entry you could probably hold 2 more tables.
    it was cozy. I don't think anyone minded since we are all friends.
    It is a good location. As long as we can use it we should just keep it.
    Just my 2 cents.

Milton location worked out well, 8 teams is plenty.
  • I'm thinking May 7th or 14th at the moment, neither are holidays and the weather should be starting to warm up and it's before WSOP time. Anyone have any reason to pick one vs the other? This will of course depend on the venue. I will be able to get the Milton venue I'm quite sure. I can't even book it as yet as the lady who keeps track isn't booking anything for next year as yet.
    If anyone has any other locations we could perhaps use please shout out asap as it seems like all of the comments so far have been quite positive on the current venue. (cept for cold blooded Wetts)...
  • I will loan Wetts a UB hoodie, but only if he promises to show up in person next time. The clone he sent in his stead on the weekend was decidedly un-Wetts-like in it's performance.
    -Central for all teams. Nobody had a really long drive

LOL on behalf of g2 and me (both driving from Ottawa). I was on the 3rd place team (ROI = +60%), and still ended up -$60 after paying for gas.

Having said that, I intend to be back for the next one, regardless of location.
  • iNano78 wrote: »
    LOL on behalf of g2 and me (both driving from Ottawa). I was on the 3rd place team (ROI = +60%), and still ended up -$60 after paying for gas.

Having said that, I intend to be back for the next one, regardless of location.

Well Shar from Sask sure beat you guys.... lol... I think her ROI was a lot lower at the last one..
    Seriously though, maybe we should expand this across Canada, maybe have provincial Royal then all the winning Provincial teams could have a playoff Royal for a Canadian Royal Champ. Then a world wide one, then..... you get the idea.. Maybe we can franchise it.... :)
  • I think she made out pretty good in Brantford the next day. Factor in that she flew in from Regina Sask to visit us and play in the royal.
    :):):):):)

IN!!!
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    I think she made out pretty good in Brantford the next day. Factor in that she flew in from Regina Sask to visit us and play in the royal.
    :):):):):)

And we drank pretty good after the Royal as well.... until they threw us out of the bar. I think even if I was on the first place team it would have been - ROI after factoring in beer and hotel and gas. Given the fog when I left I was just as glad to drive as far as the holiday inn and not back home.
  • I have room to host the next one in Ottawa... but somehow I don't think that's "central" enough for some of you. ;)
  • Call Mr Harper. Maybe he will let us play at 22 Sussex. We will make it a weekend thing. I am sure there is enough room for all of us to crash there.
  • compuease wrote: »

April 30 as possiblilities? Anyone see any reason to stroke any of these off the list.

No on Apr. 30.
  • Wolffhound wrote: »
    May 7
    Seconded.

May 8 is Mother's Day so it gives me another excuse to be in Waterloo.

/g2
  • I'm good with May 7.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Call Mr Harper. Maybe he will let us play at 22 Sussex. We will make it a weekend thing. I am sure there is enough room for all of us to crash there.

22 Sussex is drafty. My party room is much more comfortable:

jdunford-albums-boo-battle-ontario-jdunford-picture6994-boo2-me1.jpg
  • iNano78 wrote: »
    22 Sussex is drafty. My party room is much more comfortable:

Great room and a long drive that I would actually make, if you guarantee the stability of all table legs.
  • I'm very interested in playing in the next one if someone needs an extra player. April 2nd is no good for me, but the May dates work well.
  • Did we agree on May 7th?
This discussion has been closed.