Laptop Qs

I still haven't gotten around to getting another laptop -- would the specs on this one be sufficient for 12 tabling and running PT3/table ninja without anything lagging?

If not what should I be looking for?

Acer Aspire 17.3" Laptop featuring Intel Core i3-370M (AS7741-7344) - Brown : 17" Laptops - Best Buy Canada

Comments

• im doing that with a duel 1.6 ghz, and 1 gb of ram (4 years old) plus running firefox and adobe...works fine....anything nowadays is gonna be crazy fine.
  • darbday wrote: »
    im doing that with a duel 1.6 ghz, and 1 gb of ram (4 years old) plus running firefox and adobe...works fine....anything nowadays is gonna be crazy fine.

thx
  • and the real question is.....can it run full tilt and stars and 24 tables....
  • The real real question is, is your Internet bandwidth enough? Good test of that is go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and run the test there. If you are getting >6MB download there I can't imagine any laptop today not being able to handle as many tables as you can fit on your screen(s). FYI speedtest is a great site to measure "raw" internet speed, ie how big a pipe you have regardless the condition of your PC. eg I get about 13-15 MB download..
    As Darb says any PC or laptop today will provide enough power to run any number of tables, add on software, etc.
  • No experience with them but if I were to buy a new laptop, HP Envy series
  • Ewww...I'll never buy another hp
  • actyper wrote: »
    No experience with them but if I were to buy a new laptop, HP Envy series

A little bit overkill from a power perspective for online poker don't you think. Issue with all of HP and their non-business class machines is the ridiculous amount of preloaded trial and "free" software on them. Sucks up mucho horsepower unless it is all uninstalled, deleted, etc. Trouble is that can be difficult. If you are going HP try and go with their business class of machines which are fine.
  • compuease wrote: »
    The real real question is, is your Internet bandwidth enough? Good test of that is go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and run the test there. If you are getting >6MB download there I can't imagine any laptop today not being able to handle as many tables as you can fit on your screen(s). FYI speedtest is a great site to measure "raw" internet speed, ie how big a pipe you have regardless the condition of your PC. eg I get about 13-15 MB download..
    As Darb says any PC or laptop today will provide enough power to run any number of tables, add on software, etc.

I got 12.

My current laptop (2yrs old) lags greatly when PT3 is thrown onto 6 tables.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I got 12.

this is likely a software/os issue. spyware mal ware virus's, broken down windows, fragmented hd, pt3 housekeeping, registry needs cleaning, hidden unwanted processes...

when was the last time you re installed windows?
    I got 12.

How much ram? Is it running (ugh) Vista? I assume virus free? Try running Malwarebytes and see what it can remove. Hint: Let it remove anything it finds. That internet speed is very good. 6 tabling and PT should be easy for a properly running laptop of that era.

If you are uncomfortable with any of this I can do it using Teamviewer remote support. ie I log onto your pc and take control while you watch what I do.
    How much ram? Is it running (ugh) Vista? I assume virus free? Try running Malwarebytes and see what it can remove. Hint: Let it remove anything it finds. That internet speed is very good. 6 tabling and PT should be easy for a properly running laptop of that era.

If you are uncomfortable with any of this I can do it using Teamviewer remote support. ie I log onto your pc and take control while you watch what I do.

I run spybot and a-squared every few days or so, nothing comes up. I can easily 12 table -- the PT3 seems to be the issue.

Where do I check system specs re:RAM? (looks like 2GB? Acer Support - Aspire 5735Z Series Specifications)

Running Vista -- no problems with anything else.
  • you run the housekeeping for pt3 regularly though right?
  • PokerTracker recommends 7200 RPM hard drive, so be sure to get that for your next PC. Most laptops I had looked at only had 5200 RPM.

You can go to "Control Panel" then "System" to see your PC's specs. For example, the "Windows Experience Index base score" for my Dell Studio 1730 laptop is 4.9.
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    the PT3 seems to be the issue.
    Where do I check system specs re:RAM?
  • RAM is actually 3GB
  • When's the last time you re-installed windows? With 3GB of ram, your laptop shouldn't be running that slow.
  • I've never re-installed windows. I get the auto-updates if that makes any difference.

Should I reinstall? If so, how? And will I lose any data, etc.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    PokerTracker recommends 7200 RPM hard drive, so be sure to get that for your next PC. Most laptops I had looked at only had 5200 RPM.
    Be VERY carefull with a blanket statement such as this. Seek times, buffer sizes, etc all play important parts in this. There are several 5400 drives that give improved performance over cheaper 7200 rpm drives. Gotta look at the whole picture.
    I've never re-installed windows.

this is your issue.....
    this is your issue.....
    Don't be so quick...
    While I agree that will likely solve the issue, many times I can clean a system up so that you don't have to reload. Reloading for most people is a pain.
    Don't be so quick...
    While I agree that will likely solve the issue, many times I can clean a system up so that you don't have to reload. Reloading for most people is a pain.

What do you recommend as the next step? I don't care too much as I rarely use a HUD but if start playing MTTs now and then it would be nice for final tables.

Also, I assume I could start having issues with other programs if I don't fix whatever is causing the lag at this juncture.

GTA Poker wrote: »
    What do you recommend as the next step? I don't care too much as I rarely use a HUD but if start playing MTTs now and then it would be nice for final tables.

Also, I assume I could start having issues with other programs if I don't fix whatever is causing the lag at this juncture.

Install and run Malwarebytes or just let me login with Teamviewer and I'll see what I can do. I've already done this for a few forum folks, wildbill being the most recent and fixed them up.
  • GTA, I wouldn't hesitate whatsoever in allowing Comp to check out your situation via Teamviewer. I've never met him face to face, but I knew I could trust him implicitly. (Despite the fact he's a poker player!)

Even if it's just a matter of tweaking some things to improve efficiency, or giving you suggestions for further action.

He's got my referral for whatever it's worth.
  • I've never met him face to face, but I knew I could trust him implicitly. (Despite the fact he's a poker player!)
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Bill, both from the computer perspective and about trusting me at a poker table as well... All of you remember this tomorrow. If I'm betting, I have it! :)
  • I basically have the same laptop but only 3 gig of ram and AMD processor vs i3..I run table ninja, 5-6 tables and HEM along with mIRC, and 4-5 internet windows open at a time..sometimes while watching a movie..My internet also sucks.. ( 1.5 mbps wifi )

It works fine.
    Don't be so quick...

no no, the issue is surely that (the way i view windows problems) however the solution would shirely be comp...
    no no, the issue is surely that (the way i view windows problems) however the solution would shirely be comp...

Maybe just a little too much of that smoke?
    Maybe just a little too much of that smoke?
    :o
  • I work this weekend so maybe Comp can take a look on Monday if it fits his schedule