GG Sparky

Hall of Fame Manager Sparky Anderson passed today, complications of dementia, at age 76. Managed two different teams to Championships in two different leagues . . . the consummate baseball guy. RIP, sir.

Comments

• Yep rest in peace Sparky... Remember watching him his final year playing in 1959 I think it was at the old Maple Leaf Stadium besides Tip Top Tailors. He managed the team for I believe 4 years. A buddy and I used to sneak into the park through a hole in the outer fence along with probably a few hundred other kids. We use to hitchike along the QEW almost every weekend during the season at only 13 years old.. Different world now...
    We always thought we were being really sneaky seeing games for free. Think there were only like 1000 ppl at those games. Pretty sure they knew about all of us kids sneaking in but since they had poor crowds and were going under, they though what the hell.
  • Only 76. He looked that old managing 20 years ago.
  • So . . . it's true, then . . . I thought it was all just good natured ribbing between cyber-pals.

So, when you see Moses, does he still refer to you as "Old-timer"?
  • Milo wrote: »
    So . . . it's true, then . . . I thought it was all just good natured ribbing between cyber-pals.

So, when you see Moses, does he still refer to you as "Old-timer"?
    Moose... you gonna take that? :)
  • I was at a game at old excrutiation stadium 25 yrs ago. Monday night game of the week on NBC. Sparky looked like he was 80 then.
    Great Manager, Too Loaded to remember the final score lol. $4.00 bleacher seats and a lot of BEER Yee Haw. Those were the good ole days.
    R.I.P and GG Sparky.
  • A great loss to the baseball world.

RIP Sparky
  • For all of you poolsters who are missing the boat,

Julien Hug: Contestant on the Bachelorette May 2009. Cause of Death undetermined as of yet.

Andy Irons 32. 3 time World Surfing Champion . Fatal mix and overdose probable.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    A great loss to the baseball world.

RIP Sparky

:(
  • Watching him on TV, you got the idea that, if you met him on the street, he'd be happy to stop and talk ball for the entire afternoon. Might not have been like that in real life, but that was the impression I was always left with when watching Sparky on the tube. He seemed to just love being around the park.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    I was at a game at old excrutiation stadium 25 yrs ago. Monday night game of the week on NBC.
    Where the heck was excrutiation stadium?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Where the heck was excrutiation stadium?
    Exorcism Stadium as it was also known was Exhibition Stadium.
    Ivor Wynne was and still is called I NEVER WIN . lol
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Exorcism Stadium as it was also known was Exhibition Stadium.
    Ivor Wynne was and still is called I NEVER WIN . lol

Um I was talking waaaayy before then, circa 1960's where Sparky played for then managed for the Toronto Maple Leafs (Triple A) of the International League. Picture of the stadium by Tip Top Taylors.. He most likely was playing shortstop when this picture was taken.

I think I can see me way up top in right field stands... :)
    The hole in the outfield where I and many others snuck in is just below me. We entered into a maintenance area below the grandstand and ran up the stairs, some were caught but not me buddy and I, lol, we had a system...
  • There was another Stadium before this somewhere in the west end close to the lake. Near Cherry Beach I think. This park is I believe now the Carnies parking lot at the east end of the ex grounds. Exhibition Stadium was built to replace it. Went to a lot of great Concerts there in the late 70's and early 80's.
    Most memorable one was the night of the Alice Cooper Riot. lol