Lost passport

So, I haven't seen my passport in a while so I thought I had better cancel it.
According to passport Canada, you have to tell them and alert the local police as well. This is news to me. So I phoned to tell them and I was then informed that an officer has to come to the house.

Anybody have any idea why this is the case and what exactly should I expect when a cop comes?

Comments

• Not 100% sure, but keep in mind that your passport is actually the property of the Government of Canada and not yourself. I'm sure that they have to have a file number to keep track of things if one goes missing prior to releasing another.

Not sure what to expect when the cops come, but I would just tell the truth. You haven't seen it in a while and can't find it.

Unless you have something to hide of course....
  • I'm sure that they have to have a file number to keep track of things if one goes missing prior to releasing another.
    Unless you have something to hide of course....

Nope, nothing to hide thankfully. It definitely goes on file because when our puppy chewed my last one about 8 years ago, afterwards I got pulled over by a cop while riding a bicycle and when he swiped my license through his computer, he asked me about my "lost" passport. So, that info must be red flagged or something.
  • Muddguts is a terrorist!:D
  • don't really know but prob some sort of security measure so you don't just give it to someone else....prob they will question you in case it comes up being used by someone else....
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Muddguts is a terrorist!:D

only at the table my friend >:D
  • Good thing its not Hpbbes or he'd been in Guantanamo Bay by now.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Good thing its not Hpbbes or he'd been in Guantanamo Bay by now.

Busted out at the cave already?
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    what exactly should I expect when a cop comes?

Body cavity search?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Body cavity search?

Nothing says "The weekend is here", like a body cavity search. :D
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Nothing says "The weekend is here", like a body cavity search. :D

And we have an "expert" advising us... :)

Sorry Hobbes, just couldn't resist.. Promise the ribbing won't go on for more than another year or 10...
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Busted out at the cave already?

No I have an iPhone dingus.
  • The cop will ask you the who/what/where/when/why of how your passport ran away. A report will be filed so that, should a Canadian passport ever be scanned using the # of the "missing" passport, it will be flagged immediately. Should you ever find said passport after the cop leaves do yourself a favour and destroy it. It's easier . . . TRUST me.