Buy a poppy

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=447093885674

This is a British production, but applies just as well to our men and women in uniform. Takes about 4 minutes of your day. I think they're worth the short amount of time it takes to watch it.

Then, buy a poppy, in Remembrance of all those who have sacrificed themselves for our nation.

Comments

• Will have mine at the first sight of a Veteran selling 'em.

Still wonder to this day why Nov. 11 isn't a national holiday.
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    Will have mine at the first sight of a Veteran selling 'em.

Still wonder to this day why Nov. 11 isn't a national holiday.

Absolutely, still remember where I got mine last year from a Veteran selling at IKEA. He was a pilot flew in WWII.

They will be out selling soon.

Brent
  • You could always stop by a Legion and pick one up . . . but the thing is to honour the sacrifices made in our name by these brave souls.
  • it's a gov't holliday. I got the day off :P
  • syphilaids wrote: »
    it's a gov't holliday. I got the day off :P

then tell your bosses to share the wealth :)

So go to one of the many services . . . and buy a vet some Timmies.

One of the best feelings I had in recent years was standing behind a Reservist trooper at Timmies. He placed his order and realized he left his wallet in the 5/4 ton. When he left to get it I paid the tab, and placed my order. Guy walks back in to find his coffees off to one side. He calls the cashier over so he can pay, and she just waves him off. Look on his face was worth the few bucks it cost.

Remember folks, a little bit of time, for a lifetime of service.

Yeah, I was fucking livid when I moved to Toronto 7 years ago to find out Rememberance day wasn't a bloody holiday here! Apparently we respect our vets more in BC, at least at a government level :)
  • I always buy my poppy off a volunteer this time of year. Most aren't WW2 vets sadly since most are too elderly to sit in the mall all day. It's always great to chat with someone close to our veterans.

Remember not all Vets are old men. There are many, many young men and woman who have served to keep Canada safe and free.

Wear a poppy to say THANK YOU to them all.
  • A very good point, Johnnie . . .

I know a former colleague who is in Afghanistan right now, Quartermaster - stores. He is "inside the wire" most of the time, so relatively safe, but being away from his wife and three daughters cannot be fun.