Comments

• lol..

Not at the article or topic of course but at the way you started the thread.
  • Milo wrote: »

I don't think this case would qualify for the death penalty. Keep trying though.

Prophet 22
  • Maybe not in Canada, but that is not the point. The point is the extraordinary lengths to which the State is willing to go in order to prevent discovering that they executed an innocent man, and the lengths to which they are going to proceed with executing another man who might not be guilty either.

If the State had executed Steven Truscott, would we have ever found out that he was, in fact, not guilty? The actual killer was never caught, in part due to the malfeasence of the authorities.
    Maybe not in Canada, but that is not the point. The point is the extraordinary lengths to which the State is willing to go in order to prevent discovering that they executed an innocent man, and the lengths to which they are going to proceed with executing another man who might not be guilty either.

If the State had executed Steven Truscott, would we have ever found out that he was, in fact, not guilty? The actual killer was never caught, in part due to the malfeasence of the authorities.

This is a case that shouldn't have been captial to begin with, but only Truscott and Lynn Harper know for sure. The Harper family is believe a terrible injustice was done giving Truscott 6.5 million. I don't think anyone can say 100% that Truscott is innocent.

On August 28, 2007, after review of nearly 250 fresh pieces of evidence, the court declared that Truscott's conviction had been a miscarriage of justice. As he was not declared factually innocent, a new trial could have been ordered, but this was a practical impossibility given the passage of time. Accordingly, the court acquitted Truscott of the murder.[2][3]

^ "Court Of Appeal Finally Clears Steven Truscott". City News. August 2007. "A Miscarriage Of Justice": Court Of Appeal Clears Steven Truscott - CityNews. Retrieved 2007-08-28.

^ a b The full Ontario Court of Appeal ruling

Gotta go work is over boss is here.

Prophet 22
  • This is a case that shouldn't have been captial to begin with, but only Truscott and Lynn Harper know for sure. The Harper family is believe a terrible injustice was done giving Truscott 6.5 million. I don't think anyone can say 100% that Truscott is innocent.

On August 28, 2007, after review of nearly 250 fresh pieces of evidence, the court declared that Truscott's conviction had been a miscarriage of justice. As he was not declared factually innocent, a new trial could have been ordered, but this was a practical impossibility given the passage of time. Accordingly, the court acquitted Truscott of the murder.[2][3]

^ "Court Of Appeal Finally Clears Steven Truscott". City News. August 2007. "A Miscarriage Of Justice": Court Of Appeal Clears Steven Truscott - CityNews. Retrieved 2007-08-28.

^ a b The full Ontario Court of Appeal ruling

Gotta go work is over boss is here.

Prophet 22

The tragedy of the Truscott case is, in part, the fact that investigating officers did not bother investigating an equally valid suspect. They had decided that Truscott was guilty and that was that. Whether it should have been a Capital case is not relevant, as it was prosecuted as one. There lies another strike against the Death Penalty, by your own words. Truscott could have died, in a case you yourself admit should not have been a Death Penalty case.
  • Williams's murder victims pleaded for their lives
    WARNING: This story contains disturbing sexual and violent details and images

CBC News - Canada - Williams's murder victims pleaded for their lives

The penalty is sufficent for this man! I honestly don't see how life in prison is an appropiate punishment for this man. I don't know what it accomplishes.

Your turn Milo.

Prophet 22
  • At the very least we are assured that the actual killer is locked away in this case, never to kill again. Sadly, he has the ability to apply for parole in 25 years (that is another argument). By imprisoning him, rather than killing him, we have a chance to learn how such a high-achieving personality can also be such a depraved sociopath, and thereby use that information to apprehend the next "Pickton", or "Bernardo". That has a value to it.

In the end, if you wish to get Biblical, I am not willing to lower the standard of morality of the the society I live in to include killing people for revenge, regardless of how vile or abhorrent I find their behavior to be. I believe that God will have the final judgement on Williams, et al, and I am content with that.
    At the very least we are assured that the actual killer is locked away in this case, never to kill again. Sadly, he has the ability to apply for parole in 25 years (that is another argument). By imprisoning him, rather than killing him, we have a chance to learn how such a high-achieving personality can also be such a depraved sociopath, and thereby use that information to apprehend the next "Pickton", or "Bernardo". That has a value to it.

In the end, if you wish to get Biblical, I am not willing to lower the standard of morality of the the society I live in to include killing people for revenge, regardless of how vile or abhorrent I find their behavior to be. I believe that God will have the final judgement on Williams, et al, and I am content with that.

That is a very fair statment sir. I have enjoyed this conversation with u and with out it getting personal. I am ready to put it to bed.

Look forward to seeing Saturday!

Prophet 22
  • . . . definitely. At least there, I can support executing someone (metaphorically, of course). ^-^