Car insurance

So what are the minimums you need?

I know you need Liability, and Collision, right? My Dad got his renewal today. He has always had "full" coverage. But, he's 81 and drives to about 50 km a week on average. What kinds of things can he drop to minimize his policy cost?

Comments

• You just need liability by law.

If you want collision I'd set the deductible to say $1000 assuming your dad can pay the out of pocket without too much trouble.

How old is the car btw?
  • Mid 90's Intrepid. IF it gets tagged it's getting written off, no worries. Just Collision? Hmmmmm . . .
  • At 81 he can stop driving.

(nothing against you and ur dad, but old people should not drive.) :)
  • I'm prob only paying for liability/Accident Benefits.

No collision or comprehensive (glass mainly) or what is now called Enhanced Accident Benefits.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    At 81 he can stop driving.

(nothing against you and ur dad, but old people should not drive.) :)

wtf. Lets see how you react when they take your licence away just cause your old.
  • Collision is for financed cars. It would cover the cost of replacing a vehicle written off. You have to have it or the bank etc can recall your loan.
    Cars that are 6 yrs or older don't really need it as you will not get anything for it.
    Pl Pd are the minimum. Most of us pay way to much for insurance because of all of the bad drivers out there.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Collision is for financed cars. It would cover the cost of replacing a vehicle written off. You have to have it or the bank etc can recall your loan.

Not just for financed cars (nor is it mandatory) and it does not cover the cost of replacing the vehicle. It covers the wholesale value of the car.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    wtf. Lets see how you react when they take your licence away just cause your old.

Wtf!!!

Seriously, you are a bad family member if you don't say listen, maybe you should not drive anymore.

How would you react to your elder in a car accident (even if it was not his fault)or driving thru a tim horton's restaurant window that you see on the news all the time.

Please reread Milo's own thread that he started today on worst drivers(not saying his dad is a bad driver of course)which is why older people should not be driving!, the reaction time among other things cause of other drivers nowadays are also a reason, this is not the 50's to 80's driving way's anymore.
  • Can we at least agree their should be a old compuease joke should not be driving somewhere in here Hobbes?:D
  • Well, given that the value of Dad's car is about the same a Timmie's coffee, I think some changes are definitely in order.

Thanks, guys. I'll be going over this with him on the weekend . . .
    Not just for financed cars (nor is it mandatory) and it does not cover the cost of replacing the vehicle. It covers the wholesale value of the car.
    No collision on a financed car and they will call in your loan. Banks and whatever need a guarantee that they are getting there money back.

21 yrs ago GMAC called me . I had taken the collision off of the car I had bought through them with 6 payments left. They Gave me 5 days to put it back on or pay the car off.
    Can we at least agree their should be a old compuease joke should not be driving somewhere in here Hobbes?:D

No. To say you are old and shouldn't drive is just prejudice.

But let's keep this on topic.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Well, given that the value of Dad's car is about the same a Timmie's coffee, I think some changes are definitely in order.

Thanks, guys. I'll be going over this with him on the weekend . . .

Make sure you are a good family member though.
    No collision on a financed car and they will call in your loan. Banks and whatever need a guarantee that they are getting there money back.

21 yrs ago GMAC called me . I had taken the collision off of the car I had bought through them with 6 payments left. They Gave me 5 days to put it back on or pay the car off.

I have never been asked to provide proof of insurance.

If I still owe 10k on my car loan and it's written on the bank is not getting 10k if the car is not worth that much.
    Make sure you are a good family member though.

Not sure what you mean by that, but I am not about to screw over my Dad, or leave him potentially at risk over something like this. $$$-wise, he is fine, he just hates paying for stuff he gets no use/value out of.
    Wtf!!!

Seriously, you are a bad family member if you don't say listen, maybe you should not drive anymore.

Please reread Milo's own thread that he started today on worst drivers(not saying his dad is a bad driver of course)which is why older people should not be driving!, the reaction time among other things cause of other drivers nowadays are also a reason, this is not the 50's to 80's driving way's anymore.
    Milo wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by that, but I am not about to screw over my Dad, or leave him potentially at risk over something like this. $$$-wise, he is fine, he just hates paying for stuff he gets no use/value out of.

See philli's prejudice above.
  • Well, the province thinks he's good to go, as he recently took his mandatory re-test. Thinking of my previous post, I would like to see ALL drivers tested every 5 years or so.
    I have never been asked to provide proof of insurance.

If I still owe 10k on my car loan and it's written on the bank is not getting 10k if the car is not worth that much.
    That's not the point Hobbes.
    Every vehicle I have bought. New or used , dealer or private. Financed had to have collision.
    No Dealer will let you take your car unless you provide proof of insurance. You can't get license plates without proof of insurance.
    Even if you pay for say a new car in full from your savings. Only an Idiot nowadays would not put collision insurance on it. Especially for the first 4 or 5 years. At least you will get something for it.
    Milo's dad won't need collision, his car is older than 10. he won't get anything for it so it's a waste of money.
    Check with your insurance provider and they will tell you that you have to have collision on a financed car. And if you take it off they notify the financial people who lent you the money to buy it.
  • I'll check with the underwriters at my office.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Well, the province thinks he's good to go, as he recently took his mandatory re-test. Thinking of my previous post, I would like to see ALL drivers tested every 5 years or so.

Maybe not every 5 years, but ya there should be retesting. I'd prob be screwed. :D
  • So would a lot of folks. Simple solution is to incentivize the testers to fail, rather than pass, drivers. Make it a little more difficult than it currently is to earn the privilege of driving., Oh, and do what the military does: You get in an accident, regardless of fault, and you lose your license. Go through a driver training course to get it back.
  • For a '95, 4 door, Dodge Intrepid:

Basic Registration Insurance which includes:

Coverage for damage to registered vehicle (subject to deductible, which with basic insurance is usually $700.00 but can be lowered with a package policy)

Coverage for personal injury as a result of vehicle collision

Liability Insurance

Total is $658.00 per year for coverage. This is with a safety rating of 7...that would assume an accident in the last couple years I think.

Tell him to move to Saskatchewan!!

@}->--
    ~Shar
    That's not the point Hobbes.
    Every vehicle I have bought. New or used , dealer or private. Financed had to have collision.
    No Dealer will let you take your car unless you provide proof of insurance. You can't get license plates without proof of insurance.
    Even if you pay for say a new car in full from your savings. Only an Idiot nowadays would not put collision insurance on it. Especially for the first 4 or 5 years. At least you will get something for it.
    Milo's dad won't need collision, his car is older than 10. he won't get anything for it so it's a waste of money.
    Check with your insurance provider and they will tell you that you have to have collision on a financed car. And if you take it off they notify the financial people who lent you the money to buy it.

This!!!!

Seriously Hobbes, all that you have posted in this thread is very bad except talking about the recent insurance changes.

And I am not being prejudice at all, but some of you are being selfish.

So just go with HVEES post and check with your dad's insurance company on what is needed Milo.

/ thread.
  • I'm staying outa this thread! oh... and FU Philli.....
    This!!!!

Seriously Hobbes, all that you have posted in this thread is very bad except talking about the recent insurance changes.

And I am not being prejudice at all, but some of you are being selfish.

So just go with HVEES post and check with your dad's insurance company on what is needed Milo.

and to quote compuease FU.

/thread (see I can do that too)

/ thread.

he asked what coverage he needed. He didn't ask about whether his dad should still be driving.

Just cause someone is 81 does not mean they are incapable of driving.

What did HEVEE say other than if you have a financed car you need collision? I doubt he owes any money on a mid 90s car.

I'm sure your expert insurance knowledge can point out my bad advice. Please do.
  • compuease wrote: »
    I'm staying outa this thread! oh... and FU Philli.....
    Lo frickin L
    he asked what coverage he needed. He didn't ask about whether his dad should still be driving.

Just cause someone is 81 does not mean they are incapable of driving.

What did HEVEE say other than if you have a financed car you need collision? I doubt he owes any money on a mid 90s car.

I'm sure your expert insurance knowledge can point out my bad advice. Please do.

Already done! And I was not implying cause someone is in there 80's they are incapable of driving, I am saying they should not be driving, insurance companies say the same thing(which I am surprised they are even thinking of renewing as their is quite a few companies that won't at that age.), the government has said the same thing and wanted to pass a law as soon as your 65 your not allowed to drive anymore(which at 65 yes I do think your should still be driving if you can.)

I am just saying as a son/ daughter you have the responsibility to say oh maybe it is not a good idea for you to be driving anymore even though he very well may be a good driver. I feel for Milo if his dad is like other elders(my grandma included) that are stubborn and he has to go thru the arguments.

But your attitude is well I don`t care about the 20 people that can be killed cause he decided to drive 70 on the 400 series highways or hit the gas pedal instead of the brake or whatever cause he still want`s to drive.

Like what just happened to me in a parking lot tonight, guy did not look or if he did he said oh well I am still going to whip out of my parking space even though there is a vehicle coming,so I had to act fast, is a regular 80+ year old going to be able to react that fast, no, it would have been crunch!.
    I am saying they should not be driving, insurance companies say the same thing(which I am surprised they are even thinking of renewing as their is quite a few companies that won't at that age.), the government has said the same thing and wanted to pass a law as soon as your 65 your not allowed to drive anymore
    Philli, this is just plain wrong and very narrow minded! And I am staying out of this thread..........:p
  • compuease wrote: »
    Philli, this is just plain wrong and very narrow minded! And I am staying out of this thread..........:p

lol, ummmm no
  • Statistics show that as of 2007, 18.1% of all FATAL collisions are caused by persons in the age group 25-34, while those in the 65+ age group are responsible for only 13.6%.

The same statistics show that 20.2% of all "serious injury" accidents are also caused by the 25-34 age group, and the 65+ crowd is only responsible for 9%.

Further, the total number of motor vehicle collisions that ran the gamut of minor injuries right up to fatalities is lower in 2007 than any other year since 1988, a nearly 20 year span. I think that it isn't unfair to assume that the average age of the population has been inching upwards given the "baby boom" phenomenon the kids are all jabbering about nowadays.

References

So, clearly everyone between the ages of 25-34 should be undergoing more rigorous testing and training, or simply be uninsureable, or their families should sit and have a talk about the risks of driving at their age.

In other words. This is a stupid argument - shut up.

Mark

P.S. - I couldn't find any collision statistics based on race, but boy oh boy would I like to prove HveePoker wrong on that one.