WPT Gus calls Antonio (sp?) with 108d

Anyone see this last night? Anyone know how he makes the call? Antonio seemed to visably uneasy when Rerasing allin but with 10 8 soooted you have to be sure (100%) that your going up against an underpair and want to gamble with just a coin flip. I know Gus likes to gamble but like I said unless he put Antonio on 77 or less he knows he's at best a 3:2 dog against overcards. I don't think I could have made the call myself but was wondering people's thoughts here. I should also mention that they were the two chip leaders (by a nice margin too) and the call would have all but eliminated Gus.

The other thought I had (which of corse is very discounted since I see the hole cards) was I might have called with big over cards in Gus' situation (based on what I saw of Antonio) so I started to wonder if I put Antonio on small pair (which he had 77) if I would make the call. Since I would have been willing to call with AK at that point I should be more than happy make the call 10 8 soooted since I am a slightly better favourite in this situation, right?

Anyway it made for very exciting television. :D

Comments

• Was this the WPT 'bad boys of poker' episode? If so, I was distracted by the World Junior game, and the Sunday Stars $215 tournament, in that order. Can you describe the sequence of events--ie: stack sizes, betting action, etc...--for me? It would be appreciated, I'm becoming a pretty big fan of Gus Hansen.

Thanks,
    all_aces

ps: I did see a bit of that episode, where the unknown kid called Gus down on every street with pocket threes. While calling your opponent down with pocket threes when he's betting every street is usually a mistake, I thought that against Gus in particular it was a damn good play.
  • Hand went something like this

Fold to Antonio (button I think or maybe just before). He raises to about 3x blinds to about 20-24,000. Hansen reraises to 100,000. Antonio goes all in and Hansen calls for another 330,000 or so (and had him barely covered).

Antonio's reaction was pretty much what mine would have been - a mixture of shock and frustration at what has to be a bad call that ended up not being a bad call. Antonio made a joke about how the 25 grand must not mean anything to Hansen and I kind of wondered if the relatively small prize (compared to other events) as well as the obvious shock value of this play were contributing factors in his decision.

The sweepstakes winner/normal .05/.10 player at that table was fun to watch and root for as it was nice to see someone actually shaking a bit when he bet as well as someone who could not look at his cards or handle his chips perfectly ;). I actually don't recall him calling all the way with 33 any hand though I do remember a hand he very defensively played top pair and gave the Unibomber guy 2 free/cheap cards to runner runner flush outdraw him (last card being another king which was extra mean)
  • I saw it in disbelief!!

Why risk the whole tournament on such a hand.

But they were sooootttteeeed!!!

Rob M.
  • the call by hansen was insane. calling an all in reraise with a 10 8 is nuts even for him. He didnt seem like he cared too much about that title.
    That bank teller kid looked like he was about to cry sitting at that table. Lost some good size pots by being to timid.

Red
  • Gus is very unique. I do not know how he could have made this call. Yeah it was suited but come on. 10 and an 8 ? Plus why risk so much when you are the chip leader? If he would have lost that hand what would we be chatting about now? (how dumb he was for calling?) but I struggle with this for the following reasons:
    1. Maybe he KNEW he had overcards to Antonio? (how the hell he would know this I don't know)
    2. Since the prize was not so big AND it was a "bad boys" episode, maybe he just wanted to gamble and
    really couldn't care less either way. If he wins he looks like a genius, if he lost he just holds up his crazy reputation that people remember for later....

Well, it was nice to see. Now I am going to have to try the "I can't fold this....its a 10 high" routine....

ahhhhhhh........well.......maybe not.
  • There was a huge thread on this on 2+2 as well. The conclusion was.

- Gus' read said low-mid pocket pair for Antonio
    - Antonio was the only real competition
    - winning this pot would knock out Antonio and give Gus 70% of the chips
    - only first place paid
  • i think Gus called cuz he didnt give a rats ass :tongue: if he busted out
    cuz only 1st place paid out and it was only for $25,000

plus the dude likes to gamble :biggrin:

$25000 wouldve been nice for me though :frown: i'll take it :tongue:
  • The announcers were having seizures over the call.

One of the players at the table mumbled 'What an idiot'. I think it was the magician. You could hear it just as the magician was standing to leave.

Gus seemed to 'suck' out a number of times. It was almost as if he knew what cards were coming.

Overall, the play didn't seem as good as the average WPT event. Ladie's Poker Night was no big whooop either...

It was fun rooting for the bank teller. You could tell he was very nervous and he made a few mistakes but he was a hair's breadth away from taking 2nd place.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    Ladie's Poker Night was no big whooop either...
    Ladie's Poker Night was wayyyyyyyy better :biggrin:

the 2 underdogs came in 1st and 2nd :D

wtg Clonie :biggrin:
  • i agree: ladies poker night was great to watch...maybe not the best plays we've ever seen on tv, but certainly better than most of mine....i'd like to see more ladies night.

as for the gus-call, even my wife was blown away by that....maybe i shouldn't say "even my wife"...she's becoming a pretty da$$ good player...anyway, she's still talking about it.

and i'm pretty sure "what an idiot" was "i can't believe it"...tho i don't have a tape, so maybe someone should check
  • I mentioned this orginally but would you have call with Ak or AQ soooted? If so then in this situation it is a better call with the 10 8 soooted.

Gus often looks like he knows what cards are coming in the future but remeber this is TV and is very edited. From what I understand Gus is probably the one of the Loosest tourney players ever to play the game and plays in almost every pot. He attacks weakness regardless of hole cards. He makes a living making people fold the best hand.

I would also like to mention that this hand is great for the image he potrays at the table. It will surely make many players think twice about moving in on him in the future.
  • If had him on a low pocket, then 10 8 is as strong as a q or k 10, its a race.
  • so Gus is a 4 time WPT champ or did he win a few more ?
    havent seen Season 3 yet?
  • BurnCard wrote:
    There was a huge thread on this on 2+2 as well. The conclusion was.

- Gus' read said low-mid pocket pair for Antonio
    - Antonio was the only real competition
    - winning this pot would knock out Antonio and give Gus 70% of the chips
    - only first place paid

I was going to come in here saying exactly all of this...
  • I just thought of something, what do people think of Dave's call with 76soooted vs. 55? Certainly Dave couldn't have put his opponent on an underpair, but he did have the pot odds to call. I believe Dave is more of a maniac than Gus. :)
  • Jay wrote:
    I just thought of something, what do people think of Dave's call with 76soooted vs. 55? Certainly Dave couldn't have put his opponent on an underpair, but he did have the pot odds to call. I believe Dave is more of a maniac than Gus. :)
    LOL:D
  • Soup66 wrote:
    If had him on a low pocket, then 10 8 is as strong as a q or k 10, its a race.
    Are these guys so astute they can detect the difference between 77 and 99? It goes from being a coin-toss to a 2-1 favourite in that case.

I'm leaning more towards the other reasons. Most likely that he didn't really care. He did say something like "Well, I've got 10 high. I can't fold that", which really makes me think he wasn't taking it very seriously.

I'm curious if anyone thinks this was sheer genius on Gus' part.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:

I dont think so. I think he couldn't care less about the $25k seat and called out of sheer boredom. Maybe he was trying to give the title to Antonio and just got really freaking lucky.

Red
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    Are these guys so astute they can detect the difference between 77 and 99? It goes from being a coin-toss to a 2-1 favourite in that case.

I'm leaning more towards the other reasons. Most likely that he didn't really care. He did say something like "Well, I've got 10 high. I can't fold that", which really makes me think he wasn't taking it very seriously.

I went back and watched this again. I love lazy Sunday afternoons, I get to catch up on TiVo :)

A couple of things,

4 people playing, Antonio just goes three X and after thinking about it for a second. I don't know if anyone else noticed the quick eye check into the camera. Which seemed to say "I dont want to look like a fool, pussy, maniac... " because we get to see his hole cards, it's easy to make the assumption he didn't want to look like a wimp.

Gus says, screw that, 8XBB is the real bet, sensing weakness.

Antonio whimpers, sighs, thinks about laying down, thinks about calling. Thinks about laying down....thinks about pushing in. Oh he's in a tight spot.

Now would he do this with KK, QQ, JJ, even TT? He wouldn't have been able to wait to put his money. Like the hand before when he pushes against Darden.

Kinda screams low pair doesn't it? Gus sensing that takes his chances.

Plus it is only for $25,000, and could be a small $$$ to improve his image. But is he really a riverboat gambler?

I have no doubt that Gus knew he had a small pair, and his 10 8 were overcards. He makes the gamble cause of the stakes, and looks like a hero when he wins the flip.
  • Now here's another scenario: what kind of hand would you have to put someone on in order to push all-in against a reraise when you are holding 6-2 soooted?

Or should we leave this one to Graham? :confused:
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    Now here's another scenario: what kind of hand would you have to put someone on in order to push all-in against a reraise when you are holding 6-2 soooted?

Or should we leave this one to Graham? :confused:

I would guess a hand that you didn';t think was going to be called.

Or as in this case, a hand you would lose!

HEHE
  • This is probably the "greatest/worst combination" play I've ever seen.  I couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks.  Recently saw the episode again and the horror is starting all over again.
  • I just downloaded this episode last week, watching it for the first time again since back when this thread started.

Gus' play with 33 on the Q754 board is nuts...