My Hockeypool Team

Okay what do you guys think? Its a ten team league, just for bragging rights between the guys at work. Its a head to head league. Auto draft royally screwed me, but luckily I woke up early saturday morning to take advantage of all the free agents! I was able to snag Sharp for Kulemin - why was Kulemin even drafted? I dunno....

1. Nicklas Backstrom C - Was
2. Eric Staal C - Car
3. Milan Lucic LW - Bos
4. Ryan Clowe LW - SJ
5. Phil Kessel RW - Tor
6. Patric Hornqvist RW - Nash
7. Vincent Lecavalier C - TB
8. Christian Ehrhoff D - Van
9. Zach Bogosian D - Atl
10. P.K. Subban D - Mon
11. Jeff Schultz D - Was
12. Wayne Simmonds RW - LA
Sub. Brooks Laich LW - Was
Sub. Kris Versteeg LW - Tor
Sub. Patrick Sharp C,LW - Chi
Sub. Matt Carle D - Phil

Goalie Antii Niemi G - SJ
Goalie Pekka Rinne G - Nash
Goalie Cam Ward G - Car

Comments

• To be honest for a 10 team league it looks like you could improve on your wingers? You could try and package Staal and someone for a really solid winger, I think a guy like Staal gets overvalued in pools sometimes. He is one of my favorite players but he is usually good for 70-80 points, and most of those come after the All-Star break, he is a year after year slow starter. He did however have 29 goals last year while missing 12 games so I could be way off on that one, still I would try and make a move for a really stellar winger. I have found in my pools that that makes the most difference as everyone has good Centers and D are comparable.
  • J, I noticed I was a tad thin on the wing also... I am going to poke my head around the free agent bins a bit more to see if I can grab a sleeper... I tried making trades last year but none of the guys at work felt comfortable trading away their guys... We will see.

I really like Patrick Sharp though. I got him last year in a similar way, getting him the first day of free agency, cus everyone forgot about him. He plays both centre and wing, so I can slot him into the wing position and still get faceoff points from him, while playing my regular centres the same night. And he also racks up the points!
  • Yeah Sharp is a good pickup even just based on who he plays on a line with, Kessel will probably have a strong year if the line of him,Bozak, and Versteeg click and then of course if that happens Versteeg will have a good year as well. It will be interesting to see Versteeg not surrounded by the all star caliber offense that he was in Chicago though generally Ron Wilson is a good guy for maxing players offensive potential which might be good for a guy like Versteegs #'s (off topic : probably not good for a team who's depth lies in it's defensive strength ).

Two guys who might be sleepers in your league, as I found they were overlooked in mine, or even guys you might be able to get at a bargain..

Teemu Selanne, 27 goals and 20 assists in only 54 games last year on the wing, if you get extra fantasy points for pp points then he is your guy as 16 of his goals were on the pp. Overlooked because of his age/last season injuries ( both of which were fluke, cut by skate, slapshot in face )

Jussi Jokinen, had not only his first 20 goal season last year but also his first 30 goal season. I noticed he was completely overlooked in some of my pools this year, probably a gamble as I don't think he'll get 30 goals again but he's good for 25 for sure.