CFL Expansion

So on Sunday i was walking around the Brampton Fall Fair, and there was a politician there who was doing the usual shake hands. One of his main platforms that he is running on is building a new stadium and bringing in a CFL Expansion team to Brampton. This got me thinking

1) Can the CFL/Brampton support an expansion team?

2) If the CFL is going to expand, where should they be looking? Victoria, Lethbridge, Saskatoon, Brampton, Windsor, Sudbury, Quebec, Halifax?

3) Should the CFL expand?

Comments

• Brampton is currently upgrading the football portion of Ching park, among other things at the facility. Brampton, at 500,000 people, "could" support a CFL franchise, if support were as rabid as it is out West.

It isn't, sadly.

So, aside from the fact that the League would rather be in a "bigger" market far away from Toronto, lets just let the silly pol dream a little, shall we? The CFL is NOT coming to Brampton.

Bramalea, maybe. Never Brampton. :o
  • If that's the base of his platform, he won't make office.

Seriously...who gives a damn about the CFL in Ontario?? Expansion here would be suicide.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    If that's the base of his platform, he won't make office.

Seriously...who gives a damn about the CFL in Ontario?? Expansion here would be suicide.

So where should the CFL be looking to expand?
  • idk. I think a team in miss/bram area could work. As long as the stadium is "cozy".

Go to a Ticats game and you'll see what I mean, the atmosphere is so awesome relative to argos games which are relatively "empty" in that huge stadium.
  • Secondly, anyone wanna do a forum argos game?
  • My suggestion would be to wait a few years for the Grey Cup to come back to town. I went to the Saturday night party the last time it was in T.O. Had a great time, though getting home is only a vague memory.
    Those Rider fans are NUTZO . . . in a good way. :D
  • Milo wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to wait a few years for the Grey Cup to come back to town. I went to the Saturday night party the last time it was in T.O. Had a great time, though getting home is only a vague memory.
    Those Rider fans are NUTZO . . . in a good way. :D

QFT. No question. I was at the game, 3rd row in the end zone, and went out for the halftime show with Lenny Kravitz. Me in my orange hoody surrounded by a sea of green, drunken, singing lunatics. Good times :)
  • crazykoby wrote: »
    So on Sunday i was walking around the Brampton Fall Fair, and there was a politician there who was doing the usual shake hands. One of his main platforms that he is running on is building a new stadium and bringing in a CFL Expansion team to Brampton. This got me thinking

1) Can the CFL/Brampton support an expansion team?

2) If the CFL is going to expand, where should they be looking? Victoria, Lethbridge, Saskatoon, Brampton, Windsor, Sudbury, Quebec, Halifax?

1) Doubtful.

2) No, no, no, no, no, no, maybe, yes.

3) If they're going to expand, it should be way to the east. They have the type of fan base that would get behind a team and make it their own, similar to Saskatchewan where you have people willing to travel 5+ hours to go to a game, no matter the weather.
  • When/if the League expands, they are going back to Ottawa, for good or ill . . .

I think the next city would be in the Maritimes, followed by Quebec City (either when the Ottawa franchise fails or moves).

Argos need to get out of the Skydome . . . BMO Field would be great, except it is too small to fit the CFL field without major renos, especially now with that north grandstand they've added.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    QFT. No question. I was at the game, 3rd row in the end zone, and went out for the halftime show with Lenny Kravitz. Me in my orange hoody surrounded by a sea of green, drunken, singing lunatics. Good times :)

At the Saturday night party at the Convention Centre, I met Negreanu at the Pokerstars tourney section. I was hammered, but won my table in about a dozen hands. I shoved the first hand with KK, won, and just kept repeating the process. Wish I could hit the deck that hard at Ching Hill . . .
  • Riders fans are crazy. I am going to be all decked-out in green on Oct 2 in Skyd .. I mean Rogers' Centre. I'll met up with anyone there for a $17 beer.

This discussion is at a good time as the Argos are playing a "home game" in Moncton this weekend. It will be interesting to see what kind of crowd they get. I am guessing it will be a sell-out, but nothing about that on the CFL site that I could find.
  • crazykoby wrote: »

1) Can the CFL/Brampton support an expansion team??

Westerner.......don't have a clue
    crazykoby wrote: »
    2) If the CFL is going to expand, where should they be looking? Victoria, Lethbridge, Saskatoon, Brampton, Windsor, Sudbury, Quebec, Halifax??

Don't think there's another viable option in the West. Baffles me why there isn't a team already in the maritimes, as they seem pretty big on football......Ottawa again obv.
    crazykoby wrote: »

I think ideally, 2 more teams, so that not 75% of teams make the playoffs, just 50%.

Unfortunately CFL is great for the summer.........then the NFL starts, and the CFL takes a backseat. (stop having games on Sunday against the NFL already)
  • I honestly don't know how people can watch the CFL, it is such sub par football. I live in Saskatchewan and the constant ignorant ''rider pride'' drives me up the wall.

Like someone said, if the league was smart at all they would do all their games on Saturday/Friday night, no Sunday or Monday night games once the NFL starts up.

The real question is, is Toronto still trying to get an NFL team?
  • JtotheLew wrote: »
    I honestly don't know how people can watch the CFL, it is such sub par football. I live in Saskatchewan and the constant ignorant ''rider pride'' drives me up the wall.

Go get im Shar!
    I honestly don't know how people can watch the CFL, it is such sub par football. I live in Saskatchewan and the constant ignorant ''rider pride'' drives me up the wall.

Like someone said, if the league was smart at all they would do all their games on Saturday/Friday night, no Sunday or Monday night games once the NFL starts up.

The real question is, is Toronto still trying to get an NFL team?

Only Monday games that occur are Labour Day and if Canada Day falls on a Monday.
  • The Argos game on the east coast sold out in hrs showing there is some cfl love out there. The last NFL game did not sell so well in Toronto, though i'm sure pricing and the fact that the Bills suck has something to do with it.
  • A CPF member will win the Main Event of the WSOP before Toronto gets an NFL franchise. If you think that the largest TV market in the US of A will be passed over for Toronto, you are dreaming in James Cameron-like Technicolor.

Ahhh, the beauty of having a choice. If you don't like it, change the channel.

As for the ignorant "rider pride" either learn to live with it or gtfo..simple. It has never, nor will it ever go away, and ignorant or not, we have a lot to be proud of, and we will flaunt it any chance we get.

If we can have a team in our small province, support it, and make more money as a franchise than any other team, I am sure that there is a simalar market for a team in the Maritimes. If I am not mistaken, the game in Moncton was sold out right away.

There is a lot to be said for the right kind of Pride...
  • Sharantyr wrote: »
    Ahhh, the beauty of having a choice. If you don't like it, change the channel.

As for the ignorant "rider pride" either learn to live with it or gtfo..simple. It has never, nor will it ever go away, and ignorant or not, we have a lot to be proud of, and we will flaunt it any chance we get.

If we can have a team in our small province, support it, and make more money as a franchise than any other team, I am sure that there is a simalar market for a team in the Maritimes. If I am not mistaken, the game in Moncton was sold out right away.

There is a lot to be said for the right kind of Pride...

A lot to be proud of ? The league has 8 teams and in over 100 years Saskatchewan has won 3 grey cups.

Anyways, that's all I have to say. I have nothing wrong with the Roughriders as a team, I just get annoyed when people actually argue with me that the CFL is better football then the NFL.
  • Better? Maybe . . . more entertaining? Definitely, at least as far as I am concerned.

There is a reason that people refer to the NFL as the No Fun League.
    Better? Maybe . . . more entertaining? Definitely, at least as far as I am concerned.

There is a reason that people refer to the NFL as the No Fun League.

Ok if you think it is more entertaining I can't argue with your opinion if you enjoy watching it more, but the quality of athleticism and coaching isn't even comparable.
  • I'll concede the coaching issue, but not the athleticism. Different games entirely, requiring a different style of athlete. No way those 350+ lb. linemen could play in the CFL, and there is no chance the smaller, faster linemen in the CFL could compete down south.
    I'll concede the coaching issue, but not the athleticism. Different games entirely, requiring a different style of athlete. No way those 350+ lb. linemen could play in the CFL, and there is no chance the smaller, faster linemen in the CFL could compete down south.

I wouldn't even concede the coaching... The NFL has become way to conservative. They all look like they're concerned for their jobs. Looks like like "old men" playing poker (ie me), far too tight...

As for skill, well as Milo says, in some ways different skills. How many so called "star" college QB's have come up here and been complete duds?

Also with the betting situation in the NFL I wouldn't say there is no way there isn't some "shady stuff" going on.

I'm not a big football fan either way, but the CFL is just that much more exciting from a big play perspective.

So.... NFL or CFL... Your preference? Limit vs NL... your preference?

LOL, Go Argos Go!
  • compuease wrote: »
    So.... NFL or CFL... Your preference? Limit vs NL... your preference?

LOL, Go Argos Go!

See bolded. Based on what you wrote before that, you prefer Badugi?
    See bolded. Based on what you wrote before that, you prefer Badugi?

Naw, that was only for Shar's benefit... :)
  • Pffft....Argos are gonna looooooose!!!
  • CFL is full of people who just love to play the game. They aren't making millions per season. You cannot compare the leagues, it just isn't the same. I really enjoy the pace of the CFL game. There are a couple reasons why:

1. 3 downs - some nfl teams average 4 yds per rush. boring!
    2. Clock - no taking knees for the last 2 minutes here, you gotta play the full 60 mins
    3. Punts - every kick has a chance to be a game changer, fair catch blows

Oh, and the NFL stands for the National Felons League
    That is why they can't have a team in Toronto, half of the players can't make it up here because of their rap-sheets.
  • They're currently re-building a stadium in Ottawa with intention of bringing a CFL team here ... again.

There's also talk of the MLS coming to Ottawa. The stadium has been designed to support both CFL football and MLS football ... er, "soccer".
  • Anyone else going to the Riders' Home game (in Toronto) on Saturday?
  • Football is a big deal out west. Regina has a long history and if they ever took the Riders away there would be a war. lol
    CFl tried to expand once . LMFAO is all I can say But an American city does have there name on the Grey Cup. Baltimore CFL'ers lol. WTF was that.
    The argos might as well play there home games at a High School . I cant see why they could not work out a deal and play at BMO field. The Als moved to Jerry Park, and have thrived.