wall paint help?

I took down a shelving unit that had been hung for 10 years and obviously, the wall behind it is now a different colour than the rest.
The old paint cans are gone. This is going to sound really stupid but I have to ask especially with technology these days...is there anyway that I can get a paint shop to match the colour if I bring in some sort of sample? ie. a piece of the good painted drywall?

Sorry, can't figure out how to attach the image through flicker

DSC01407 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
8Cc7PF5004060413

Comments

• Muddguts wrote: »
    I took down a shelving unit that had been hung for 10 years and obviously, the wall behind it is now a different colour than the rest.
    The old paint cans are gone. This is going to sound really stupid but I have to ask especially with technology these days...is there anyway that I can get a paint shop to match the colour if I bring in some sort of sample? ie. a piece of the good painted drywall?

Sorry, can't figure out how to attach the image through flicker

DSC01407 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    8Cc7PF5004060413

Being a painter, I should be able to respond to this one....

Take a utility knife of some sort. Slice out a thin square of the painted drywall (do this in a spot that's not too obvious) you are trying to match. Don't cut too deep. Less than an 1/8th of an inch will do. Don't forget you are going to have to fix this spot. Peel back the section. Take it to a "Paint Store"! Not Home Despot or Canadian Tire or some horrible place like that where cheap people buy paint that sucks. Give them some time to match the colour.

Mud patches, twice or thrice if required (depending on depth of holes). Sand, prime (use a decent primer, not the cheapest stuff you can find), scuff sand primed areas to bring sheen down with an old piece of high grit sandpaper or old sanding sponge. Paint, paint, done.

PM me if you have further questions.
  • thanks for the info fellas. Since we are all friends here, I feel that I can admit to this without any worry of ridicule from you all. I did indeed take a sample to the paint store, I got the paint, I came home and rolled it on. Then it hit me a few hours later.....

I took a sample of the wall colour that I want to paint over! So instead of painting the wall with the original colour to make it all blend, I painted the wall the same colour as the discoloured area! DOH'!!!!!

Like I said, I'm confident no one will make fun of me.
  • And your faith shall be rewarded . . . unless Wetts sees this. That sarcastic shit will let you have it with BOTH barrels.
  • Sounds like something I would do. Is repainting the rest of the room an option now that you have the paint?
  • ahhahahahahahahahaha...

lol, I did that like 20 years ago.... Wife never lets me forget it... I need to point her to this thread... See honey....
  • This thread is why I let the wife do all the decorating. Well, that, and the fact that I have no style/colour sense.
  • dunno how i found this thread but i LOLled none the less
  • If it wasn't so late, I'd make further fun of you. Not to worry though, like we in the biz say "If it wasn't for bad decisions, we'd all be out of business". There, that's just a little making fun.

If it makes you feel better, I just 4 coated walls for some couple in a dark burgundy red when they all of a sudden decided they couldn't live with the white ceilings and want to change the colour... They looked clueless when I told them there's a good chance this won't turn out well.
  • If it wasn't so late, I'd make further fun of you. Not to worry though, like we in the biz say "If it wasn't for bad decisions, we'd all be out of business". There, that's just a little making fun.

If it makes you feel better, I just 4 coated walls for some couple in a dark burgundy red when they all of a sudden decided they couldn't live with the white ceilings and want to change the colour... They looked clueless when I told them there's a good chance this won't turn out well.

See bolded. They were probably puzzled as to why their "painter" was caressing a machete while telling them that