Maybe Done

I'm starting to think maybe I'm just not good at poker. I spent many a day dreaming of that big poker score and living the good life. However, it just doesn't seem like I'm getting better to the point of being able to do it.

It's true that there's swings up and down and that you can't measure success over a small span of time. Well, five years and one pretty solid four figure score later, I'm at zero. I also still don't have it in me to deal with the bad beats. In thinking about it more level headed today, if I were in fact a good-great player, I would be able to handle those bad beats without ridiculously angry outburts.

I'm in no way saying I'm never playing poker again. I still have fun, especially the forum games. I think I'm just wising up and not putting so much pressure on myself and my abilities, or as I've figured out my lack thereof :)

Comments

• I think you've been brain-washed by the poker media. Most poker players don't make a big million dollar score. Most of the "tourney pros" that you see on TV are in debt. Most live pros that make a living at poker do so by making a steady income off of cash games. Most online pros make a living by multitabling cash games, sngs or mtts online for hours a day like a desk job.

If you are trying to make decent money at poker you need to reinvest your winnings into your game, etc, etc.

The only times that I was truly upset with losses were when I was playing while really tired (undisciplined) or outside of by bankroll (again undisciplined). If you have lost a decent 4 figure score then you have likely played outside of your bankroll.

All that being said, one of the most underrated/least discussed aspects of making steady money at poker is the psychological aspect. If you can't take the losses and it isn't an important part of you income then step away for a few months and see if you're happier not playing. If money is a motivating factor -- most people that play could be making more money putting in extra hours at their work than grinding hours at poker.

There is a cheesy quote from some Stu Ungar movie that states something along the lines of "the goal of playing poker is to improve your quality of life". So if this is not the case from any aspect -- entertainment, financial, social -- then give it a rest and rethink it with some perspective after the new year.
  • Do you play golf? If so do you believe you'll be the next Tiger Woods?

Do you play hockey? If so do you believe you'll be the next Sidney Crosby?

Baseball? Football? Tennis? Boxing?

I guess the point I'm making is that having a hobby like this one should be treated more recreationally than as a career change.

The odds of winning a big score in this game are not great, although as you get better, you do get closer. But unless you're prepared to dedicate yourself to the game, you should come to realize it as a form of recreation you enjoy, just like any other sport.

And just like any golfer that one day hits his miracle 4 under par on his favourite course, you'll enjoy that big score even more.
  • this would be a plateau, sounds like you might be getting a better handle on your mental/emotional game.

the way i see it you just have to improve everyday and improve on improving, thats all.
  • Going through a very bad run myself, I very rarely finish right at the beginning of a game, but the last week I have gone out in 1 of the 1st positions like 4 times:o.

I just can't win a hand lately, luckily I just started a new job and got a couple other situations to deal with so not much time for poker right now so time away is suppose to be a good thing cerb.

|Go over some strategy and watch poker on tv(wsop is on right now!) and get some motivation back. :)
  • Solid advice all round here Cerb, especially GTA. I am really impressed with that answer.. Seriously...
  • compuease wrote: »
    Solid advice all round here Cerb, especially GTA. I am really impressed with that answer.. Seriously...

I was trying to highlight the space after your response for a jab but couldn't find one -- do I need an invisible pen or Xray goggles circa 1950?
  • Thanks everyone for the kind advice. I think this really is more of a good realization than a bad. GTA, you're exactly right re: pros and being in debt. I think I was forgetting the old adage "if it's too good to be true, then it's not". Maybe poker will become more fun again when I come back to it. I think also, the less pressure I put on myself about it, the better I'll be.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I was trying to highlight the space after your response for a jab but couldn't find one -- do I need an invisible pen or Xray goggles circa 1950?

Hehe, no jab.. this is too touchy a subject for so many for me to make light of it.. In spite of you and I being on somewhat different sides of discussions over the years I really do respect your serious side and in a different situation could probably be friends... awwwww....
    And your wit is good for the forum, don't ever change.. Wish BBCZ would be around more...
  • What I have learned after playing poker for five plus years is you have to really think about the losses, when they happen, and examine the route cause. This game can really eat away at you emotionally and psychologically. Are you losing money because you are making bad decisions or just getting sucked out on? Are you managing your bankroll properly or increasing your limits when you are on a bad run to try and re-coup the losses? If you have had a big score and blown all the winnings its probably because of bad money management.

The other thing to try and avoid is playing at limits when you play scared. Because it will impact your game indirectly. Personally, I am a lousy 5/10 player and I realize this and avoid these games because for me losing 300BB in one session of 5/10 is too much money to risk in one session of poker. I mainly stick to 2/5 because I can play this game with no fear and I have improved greatly because of it.

Taking time off away from the game is also a great idea and I have done it several times to reflect on whether I wanted to continue playing. I have realized that personally I really enjoy this game, so I try to limit my playing time and play within my limits.

The other aspect of the game, which is probably not a problem for you, is controlling how often you play. I always say, if you don't control poker, it will control you! Lets face it, poker is gambling and like any other addiction, it can take over your life very easily if not controlled.

Good luck with your personal poker battle and I hope you get through it. I think most long time players have dealt with these issues at one time or another.
  • I was making a living off of 1/2 while on EI.

It was great. Then I started running bad and going on tilt, getting angry/frustrated and bringing my "work" home. My girlfriend almost left me, I hardly saw my friends, it really was no way to live. Since then, I play once a week on friday nights, and online for about 5-10 hours a week. Will I ever win big? No. But I accepted this and am much happier now then when I was playing 40-60hrs per week. Bad beats rarely effect me anymore, with the exception of last week when I went all in 3 times in a rebuy tourny with a set, and lost to river flushes. brutal.

The best poker player I met was and is currently playing 200-400 HORSE 60hrs per week. He also doesn't care about bad beats. In fact, he literally points at the screen and laughs. He think's its hillarious! If you don't have this attitude, then I really believe it'll run you down.
  • syphilaids wrote: »
    I play once a week on friday nights

hey, maybe this is the key to poker success :) This is my usual schedule these days.
  • I think one key thing that people forget is that it's ok to be a recreational player. I understand that I am a recreational player. Nothing more, but more importantly nothing less. I really enjoy playing the game, and it's great mental exercise and a wonderful social outlet. I'm not a math player, and despite efforts to become one and gain the ability to do the calculations necessary at the table....I'm not capable and honestly I'm not interested.

Poker fulfills more of a social element in my situation. I think there's a number of people on here who are in the same boat.

For a period of time I committed great effort to reading, studying, practicing, etc. to be a greater than rec player. I started to not enjoy playing online and took time off. Now I'm coming back to the online game with a different mindset of just enjoying playing. Sure I want to win money, but I don't plan on playing at stakes where I'm going to lose a ton either and I'm not going to put the pressure on myself that I did before.

Cerb, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing issue where you're either a winning player or a losing player. You can also just be a player who enjoys the game and the company of others who play it.

There's a significant amount of high quality advice in this thread as well from others that impressed the hell out of me.