Desktop PC with three displays

My old Dell Dimension 8400 desktop died, so I'm planning to take philliivey's advice of getting a new system with three displays.
philliivey wrote: »
here is a set up for you blondefish
rigfrig.jpg

I'm planning to buy the following:

- Dell 3008WFP 30 inch UltraSharp Widescreen Digital Flat Panel, with 2560 x 1600 resolution. I can use my 42" and 32" HDTVs for a total of three displays.
- Dell Studio XPS 9100 Desktop.
- ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5, which includes a DisplayPort output to connect to the Dell 30" monitor.
- Intel Core i7-930 processor (8MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz).
- Blu-ray Combo Drive (8X BD-R, DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability).
- 1000 GB SATA hard drive (7200 RPM), plus two hard drive bays so I can try to install my old hard drives from my two dead desktops.

TBC....

Comments

• Ahhh geeze:-[

Your welcome!:biggrin2:

Ya if everything goes well in my new job and once I move, I will be looking at a new set up myself.(new being proper,lol)
  • Why not just hook you laptop up to external monitors?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Why not just hook you laptop up to external monitors?
    AFAIK, my laptop can only have one extra monitor. When (not if) the day comes that it suddenly stops working, I would need another PC to use right away instead of waiting for Dell's 14-day mail-in repair turnaround or for shipping a new system. My main choices are:

1) Order a desktop ASAP before the one-year basic warranty service on my laptop expires next week.

2) Pay Dell around $239 to extend and upgrade my warranty to next business day in-home service for one year.

Maybe I will delay buying a new system for now, until either the $1,899 Dell 30" monitor ever goes on sale or I need to install my old hard drives to a desktop.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Maybe I will delay buying a new system for now, until either the $1,899 Dell 30" monitor ever goes on sale or I need to install my old hard drives to a desktop.

It was JUST on sale for like $1500 IIRC. Might be an older model though
  • Why not go with smaller monitors. I can't see how you won't go blind playing on 3x 30" sitting that close.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    It was JUST on sale for like $1500 IIRC. Might be an older model though
    The older Dell 3007WHP-HC was on sale for $999 last week, but does not have a DisplayPort that I want for a 3-monitor setup. Dell suddenly discontinued the $1,899 3008WFP with DisplayPort and cannot be bought anymore. :( It has been replaced by the UltraSharp U3011, which is only listed on the US Dell site for U$1,499. Dell doesn't know when it will be available in Canada.
    actyper wrote: »
    Why not go with smaller monitors. I can't see how you won't go blind playing on 3x 30" sitting that close.
    I'm already blind! :wink2: That is exactly why I want a 30" monitor with 2560x1600 resolution, instead of having to put my eyes right against my 17" laptop screen to read.