Laptop screwed. What to do?

2.5-3 year old Toshiba Satellite A-300. Tried to burn discs, fail. Tried to install Windows 7, fail. Had another issue of windows freezing as well. I am into the shop for $120 so far and just got a call. New DVD drive $260 + tax + labour. It looks like the effer will run me $500 to get fixed.

WTF do I do? The thing isn't even a full 3 years old. I paid 999+tx for it.
The fix is half the price of a new one. If I refuse the work and just get a new one, this thing won't be sellable with a busted dvd drive.

very confused.

Won't be back until 5 am to read any replies but I'd love to get some opinions from you.

Comments

• Talk to GarryC

He'll set you up with a new one for a decent price.

Spending half for repair is too much imo.
  • some decent with computers could install that dvd for cheaper and you don't need a brand new one.

i wonder if you can install windows off an external dvd player, this would solve things

anyways many electronics are made to put you in this position, printers are the worst as they give you half and ink cartridge free with purchase and when you go to buy ink its 45 dollars and a new printer (with half ink) is 80
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    The fix is half the price of a new one.
    I had a similar problem. My old Dell PC stopped working and just kept beeping. It seems better to buy a new system than pay Future Shop $300 to fix the motherboard of an obsolete PC, so I am currently shopping for a new desktop that I can use three monitors to play poker.
  • Buy a new one, IMO 2-3 years is decent life expectancy
  • Will try and help you out Ed if you can wait until I get back on the 22nd... No cost for me at least to have a look and see what I can do.
    2.5-3 year old Toshiba Satellite A-300. Tried to burn discs, fail. Tried to install Windows 7, fail. Had another issue of windows freezing as well. I am into the shop for $120 so far and just got a call. New DVD drive $260 + tax + labour. It looks like the effer will run me $500 to get fixed.

WTF do I do? The thing isn't even a full 3 years old. I paid 999+tx for it.
    The fix is half the price of a new one. If I refuse the work and just get a new one, this thing won't be sellable with a busted dvd drive.

very confused.

Won't be back until 5 am to read any replies but I'd love to get some opinions from you.

I won't post my resume here but I have an advance computer science degree and decades of work experience.

Don't fix the integrated DVD.

Get a usb dvd really cheap.

Use the usb dvd drive.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I had a similar problem. My old Dell PC stopped working and just kept beeping. It seems better to buy a new system than pay Future Shop $300 to fix the motherboard of an obsolete PC, so I am currently shopping for a new desktop that I can use three monitors to play poker.

Get a ATI Radeon 5xxx series video card. It supports 3 monitors.
  • I think that 2-3 years for a PC laptop is a long time, get a new one for sure.
  • There are little plastic USB drive mounters that you can purchase (or borrow). Once you get your new machine, just plug the drive in and get all of your files off even if the machine no longer functions properly.

Bytecc BT-300 USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter, Works with 2.5", 3.5" HDD, 5.25" CD/DVD Drive and SATA Drives | Canada Computers

Option b) is to make sure new laptop has an extra drive bay. Just remove the old one and add it to the new machine.
  • thanks for the tips, offers and suggestions so far. Picked the machine up today, however it was in worse shape than it was when I dropped it off! The network adapter was screwed and the dvd drive wouldn't spin anymore. In fact, the tray wouldn't even open unless I used a paperclip to poke in the hole.
    When it was dropped off, the wireless worked and the drive did at least spin enough to play a movie on. Hell, even the tech guy said HE played a full movie on it and also burned a disc (however, no files showed up on the burned disc) but it was at least, operational.

Dropped it back off, will hear more tomorrow. Not liking this...
    thanks for the tips, offers and suggestions so far. Picked the machine up today, however it was in worse shape than it was when I dropped it off! The network adapter was screwed and the dvd drive wouldn't spin anymore. In fact, the tray wouldn't even open unless I used a paperclip to poke in the hole.
    When it was dropped off, the wireless worked and the drive did at least spin enough to play a movie on. Hell, even the tech guy said HE played a full movie on it and also burned a disc (however, no files showed up on the burned disc) but it was at least, operational.

Dropped it back off, will hear more tomorrow. Not liking this...

this sounds like either a software issue or a misaligned part....
  • I won't post my resume here but I have an advance computer science degree and decades of work experience.
    >:D F** your degree... lol, I was around long before they had degrees in computer science and I have 4 1/2 decades worth of experience... No resume either.. hehe... Good advice though Reef.. Heed it Ed, don't put another cent into it!

Just razzin on ya Reef.. :)
  • As stated before, scrap it. You can get a decent enough laptop for under $400-$500 these days. I can 12 table on mine that I bought for $500 a year and a half ago. I think we have a hard-drive dumping thing sitting around from when my gfs desktop died -- it only cost $30 or so.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    As stated before, scrap it. You can get a decent enough laptop for under $400-$500 these days. I can 12 table on mine that I bought for $500 a year and a half ago. I think we have a hard-drive dumping thing sitting around from when my gfs desktop died -- it only cost $30 or so.

I also just bought a laptop for $399.00 and it works fine. I can't 12 table on it but I don't know if I could 12 table on anything.
  • laptop back working the way it was when i dropped it off. So, the disk drive is obviously somewhat kaput, it will still play movies but burning and installation from disc is out.

Carting around an external dvd drive is out of the question for me. It's a pain in the ass and takes up more space.

Lots of advice to just get a new one which begs the question, what brands do I absolutely need to steer clear of?
    laptop back working the way it was when i dropped it off. So, the disk drive is obviously somewhat kaput, it will still play movies but burning and installation from disc is out.

do you know for sure that this isn't a software (firmware?) or os issue?

Muddguts wrote: »
    Lots of advice to just get a new one which begs the question, what brands do I absolutely need to steer clear of?

just make sure to get a warranty that thats as long as you will keep or sell it, they're all made like crap, and the warranty's cost a little extra but the salesman will usually give you a deal on something else as they'll be happy about the commission on the warranty
  • darbday wrote: »
    they're all made like crap

QFT

Nothing is proprietary any more. They all use the same parts internally, and by the same, I mean the cheapest possible.
    laptop back working the way it was when i dropped it off. So, the disk drive is obviously somewhat kaput, it will still play movies but burning and installation from disc is out.
    Seems very odd that you can play a DVD movie but not install prog's from it.... If you want me to I can have a look at it next week.. You have tried booting for an OS (either XP or Win7) disk just to see?
  • To transfer data from an old SATA hard drive to my laptop, do I just need a SATA to USB 2.0 cable as in the link below, or do I also need a power supply for the drive? If I have a IDE - USB adapter, it won't work on a SATA Seagate drive? My old Dell desktop died so I'm trying to figure out my options on how to get my valuable data from the hard drive.
    There are little plastic USB drive mounters that you can purchase (or borrow). Once you get your new machine, just plug the drive in and get all of your files off even if the machine no longer functions properly.

Bytecc BT-300 USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter, Works with 2.5", 3.5" HDD, 5.25" CD/DVD Drive and SATA Drives | Canada Computers

Option b) is to make sure new laptop has an extra drive bay. Just remove the old one and add it to the new machine.
    To transfer data from an old SATA hard drive to my laptop, do I just need a SATA to USB 2.0 cable as in the link below, or do I also need a power supply for the drive? If I have a IDE - USB adapter, it won't work on a SATA Seagate drive? My old Dell desktop died so I'm trying to figure out my options on how to get my valuable data from the hard drive.
    You either need an external case to put the desktop sata drive into then connect to laptop USB or you need another computer to connect the old sata drive to and then copy via network. How much data is it?
  • Your a dvd junkie, no brand of laptop will help you.:wink2:
  • After a few tries, I was able to transfer the data from my ancient IDE drive to my laptop using the IDE-USB cable. When I get a SATA-USB adapter, I'll do the same for my SATA drive. Thanks for the replies.
    compuease wrote: »
    You either need an external case to put the desktop sata drive into then connect to laptop USB or you need another computer to connect the old sata drive to and then copy via network. How much data is it?
  • compuease wrote: »

Fail. You just need the adapter in the link above. It comes with a power supply.

I have this one but the link above is a few bux cheaper.

Buy the Ultra USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable Adapter at TigerDirect.ca
    After a few tries, I was able to transfer the data from my ancient IDE drive to my laptop using the IDE-USB cable. When I get a SATA-USB adapter, I'll do the same for my SATA drive. Thanks for the replies.
    moose wrote: »
    Fail. You just need the adapter in the link above. It comes with a power supply.

I have this one but the link above is a few bux cheaper.

Buy the Ultra USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable Adapter at TigerDirect.ca

Sorry Moose but he said a SATA drive in his first post then ANCIENT IDE drive in the second so how was I supposed to know he meant IDE?
    Secondly, these adapters are notoriously flaky, I would never trust any important data to this method of transfer. Too high a risk of corrupted data.
    So much of this el cheapo electronic gadgetry from 3rd world countries is just that, el cheapo, so forget your "Fail" statements until you know of what you speak. You are not an expert on "everything" you know...;)
  • Oh go back to your punch cards.

My old IDE drive has been sitting on my desk running flawlessly for over 8 months. My latest computer couldn't even connect to IDE anymore so I was forced to try one of these things. These cables are the bomb. I've never seen a more useful piece of computer equipment. I can pull any kind of hard drive out of any computer and plug it in with this thing. A must have device.
  • moose wrote: »
    Oh go back to your punch cards.

YMMV, Do what you want... You forget I live this stuff every day...
  • You're the man comp but tell me why would a USB cable be any less reliable? USB is used to transfer all kinds of data. Thumb drives, media card readers, mice, printers etc. It shouldn't be any less reliable to connect IDE/SATA drives. Data is data.
  • It's not the cable but the electronic gadget that is suspect. Look, I'm not saying that they are all bad it's just that I trust the "known" technology that is primarily used by support personel.