My wife's comp has gotten ridiculously slow. Here is what I have done:

defrag
disk cleanup
registry scrub
spyware check
virus check
uninstalled all unused programs
freed up HD space

and this mutha is still running like molasses.

even when I press a "button" on the web browser, it takes a second to depress and then take the action.

What else can I try to get this thing in motion? Could it be the amount of processes running in the background?

Comments

• wow you already done all my suggestions, that should have done it.

But yes running too many processes can do that too, like my laptop struggles playing 4 tables on full tilt, yes it is pretty sad.:)
  • What O/S are you running and how much ram do you have? Did you use Malwarebytes to check for spyware type stuff?

If its XP, do a ctrl alt del and get into task manager, go to the performance tab and tell me how much physical memory is available. If it's dipping down under 200K, that's your problem...
  • compuease wrote: »
    What O/S are you running and how much ram do you have? Did you use Malwarebytes to check for spyware type stuff?

XP Home
    2.80 Ghz, 512 MB ram

I used spybot for the spyware. Will run Mal and see if that finds things SB didn't
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    512 MB ram
    ^^^^ Your primary problem...

Triple it for about $50-60. She will be so happy you won't be able to keep her off you... Thank me later...
  • I think my calculator has more memory. lolz.
  • Think about your memory as Lungs. Your wifes computer has been operating with only one lung and it's gasping for air. The above notes are correct.

My fav programs for keeping my computer clean include: Kaspersky Internet Security, CCleaner and Auslogics Defrag. Now you need about a gig of memory for those to run smoothly but they do a great job and Kaspersky is the only non freeware program.
  • hijackthis will also tell you everything that is running. Every g-damned program these days installs an auto-updater. Turn all of those motherf*ers off. Windows Update is one of the worst for this too. Set it to only check like once a week or something.
  • thanks for all the suggestions. I stopped and grabbed 2GB of memory which I will install once the little guy is off to bed. Will report back, hopefully especially to compuease's comment ;-)
    thanks for all the suggestions. I stopped and grabbed 2GB of memory which I will install once the little guy is off to bed. Will report back, hopefully especially to compuease's comment ;-)

Hope you got the right kind... DDR2 vs DDR3, etc.. Don't blow yourself up!
  • compuease wrote: »
    Hope you got the right kind... DDR2 vs DDR3, etc.. Don't blow yourself up!

So, Comp my knowledge of RAM dates back to when I still sold 486SX machines.... How will I know the difference between DDR2 and DDR3?

I've got 1.3 (roughly)Mb available, but am considering upgrading the old beast or buying new for xmas. It's also seeming a bit slow these days. I believe at some point you already called my video card 'really really old' (please note the double "really"). It does what I need for now, so it's a choice of new gutters for the house, brakes for the van, 10" double bevel mitre saw (mine's hooped) or a new PC. I hate making decisions like this. Brakes will obviously come first!

Anyone ever buy a pc from Tigerdirect? I'm still debating betwixt laptop and desktop. I really don't need a laptop...
  • the 1GB off DDR I added tonight to make it 1.5GB total has worked wonders IMO and will do until my own laptop comes back from the shop.
  • So, Comp my knowledge of RAM dates back to when I still sold 486SX machines.... How will I know the difference between DDR2 and DDR3?

I've got 1.3 (roughly)Mb available, but am considering upgrading the old beast or buying new for xmas. It's also seeming a bit slow these days. I believe at some point you already called my video card 'really really old' (please note the double "really"). It does what I need for now, so it's a choice of new gutters for the house, brakes for the van, 10" double bevel mitre saw (mine's hooped) or a new PC. I hate making decisions like this. Brakes will obviously come first!

Anyone ever buy a pc from Tigerdirect? I'm still debating betwixt laptop and desktop. I really don't need a laptop...
    A couple of descriptions of the differences in types of ram... If you're not clear, take an existing stick of the current ram with you when you go to buy. If/when you are ready to buy a pc, let me know and I'll try to give you input..

What Are the Different Types of RAM Chips? | eHow.com

DIMM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also if people want to know a lot more about their system try running Belarc advisor or PC-Wizard from links below... Lots of good tech info and you don't even have to remove the cover..
    Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
    the 1GB off DDR I added tonight to make it 1.5GB total has worked wonders IMO and will do until my own laptop comes back from the shop.

That is usually the ticket. did the same for a friends laptop and they were amazed they could get Int. Explorer to load in less then a minute.....(took about 4 seconds after the install).

Glad it worked out for you.

Comp. to the rescue again! we should let him win more in the PFC games :)